Heads-up

Lilypad

If you ate at the Applebee's outside the Annapolis mall last month, you might want to check how much you left as a tip.
Managers at the restaurant called police Wednesday to say one of their employees was adding extra tips to credit card receipts after customers left.
From June 11 to June 23, managers suspect the employee padded his tips by at least $50 and maybe more.
He was fired, but the Annapolis man was not charged with a crime. The restaurant said they don't know how to identify who was ripped off, and police can't file charges until they have a victim.
Huh-the server wasn't charge with a crime???? Ifn that ain't stealin, what is?? Makes you wonder how often this goes on and if folks really check their receipts??
This makes no sense at all-the police don't know how to ID the the victim? The victim has a name and credit card #-check w/the pluckin credit card co.!

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Lilypad said:
Managers at the restaurant called police Wednesday to say one of their employees was adding extra tips to credit card receipts after customers left.
Ah, the wonders of plastic; so easy to use and abuse. Might make one double think the decision to nonchalantly hand over their card to the kid behind the counter.

Lilypad said:
... the employee padded his tips by at least $50 and maybe more.
$1 X several people every night = nice bonus.

Lilypad said:
This makes no sense at all-the police don't know how to ID the the victim? The victim has a name and credit card #-check w/the pluckin credit card co.!
Because they are most likely small discrepancies [between intended tip and charged tip], people may not even notice. Can you remember if you left a $10 tip or $11 tip at a restaurant two weeks ago?

Plus, without the original receipt to show the intended tip, the customer would have no recourse even if they could remember.

If the charge is made through a designated register all charges can be attributed to one user because they have to log on. But at many restaurants -- especially fast food -- any given employee can walk up and enter any charge.

Lilypad

Quote:Can you remember if you left a $10 tip or $11 tip at a restaurant two weeks ago?
Ahh, yeah..I always leave a cash tip! :yay:

Quote:plus, without the original receipt to show the intended tip, the customer would have no recourse even if they could remember.
Yeah but, don't most folks keep their receipts till their statement comes in?

The part that PO's me is-no criminal charges! :eyebrow:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Lilypad said:
Quote:Can you remember if you left a $10 tip or $11 tip at a restaurant two weeks ago?

Quote:plus, without the original receipt to show the intended tip, the customer would have no recourse even if they could remember.

The part that PO's me is-no criminal charges! :eyebrow:
No, I don't keep my receipts.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Lilypad said:
Just curious-how come you don't keep your receipts? :whistle:
It's not really worth the bother. If some cashier put his butt on the line to steall a buck or two from me, I probably wouldn't notice anyways receipt or no. If it was a larger sum, I would notice because I regularly check my bank account online.

Lilypad

I think it's a lot more prevalent than folk's realize..
Bustem' Down, let me know when yer goin to dinner again-I might wanna tag along! :killingme

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Lilypad said:
People still carry that stuff? :confused:

Lilypad said:
Like BD said: would most folks bother to dig through a pile of receipts and give it to the restaurant owner for the recovery of $1 - $2?

Lilypad

I always give cash when tipping-most servers don't claim "all" their cash tips :whistle: -(the law requires employees to report and pay taxes on 100% of the tips-it's doubtful all do)
Supposin a person eats out a lot-$1 or $2 here and there adds up-y'all must be rich or somebody else is payin yo bills! :whistle:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Lilypad said:
I always give cash when tipping-most servers don't claim "all" their cash tips :whistle: -(the law requires employees to report and pay taxes on 100% of the tips-it's doubtful all do)
Supposin a person eats out a lot-$1 or $2 here and there adds up-y'all must be rich or somebody else is payin yo bills! :whistle:
That's assuming that someone is taking money from me every place I go and there's not that many crooks out there. I'm not going to live my life in a paper paranoia over a couple of bucks.

oldman

Lobster Land
Some may consider me old fashioned but I only deal in cash. I do realize that cards have their place in todays life but my outlook is that if I can't afford it I'm not going to spend money I don't currently have. And I'm not suggesting those that use cards don't have the money either. I lead a very simple life and only dealing in cash just negates the negatives that can happen. I may get ripped off now and then in doing so but if I do it's only my fault and not that of a middle man. Guess maybe it comes down to me not trusting someone else to handle my money.

Lilypad

Me too oldman (ekk I don't like saying that) cash baby, cash!
Old school here!
I also do not do online banking or bill paying-just me though! :whistle: