St. Mary's Co. Health Department Recognizes March as Problem Gambling Awareness Month

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
LEONARDTOWN, MD (March 6, 2024) – The St. Mary’s County Health Department, in collaboration with the National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG) and the Maryland Center of Excellence on Problem Gambling, recognizes March as Problem Gambling Awareness Month (PGAM). PGAM is dedicated to increasing public awareness of problem gambling and the availability of prevention, treatment, and recovery services.

Problem gambling is defined as all gambling behavior patterns that compromise, disrupt, or damage personal, family, or vocational pursuits. The National Council on Problem Gambling estimates 2.5 million U.S. adults meet the criteria for severe problem gambling, and another 5-8 million meet the criteria for mild or moderate problem gambling. A 2022 study on Statewide Gambling Prevalence in Maryland indicated that 4% of Maryland residents met criteria for disordered gambling.

“Individuals affected by problem gambling have access to treatment and recovery services,” said Dr. Meena Brewster, St. Mary’s County Health Officer. “Problem gambling can severely impact a person’s financial stability and family. Our health department team is available to get community members connected to help.”

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, call, text, or chat the National Problem Gambling Helpline at 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) or visit helpmygamblingproblem.org.

Information about local behavioral health resources is available at smchd.org/bhtreatment.

# # #

The post Health Department Recognizes March as Problem Gambling Awareness Month appeared first on St. Mary's County Health Department.

jrt_ms1995

“Individuals affected by problem gambling have access to treatment and recovery services if they wear a mask and get vaccinated,” said Dr. Meena Brewster, St. Mary’s County Health Officer. “Problem gambling can severely impact a person’s financial stability and family unless they are vaccinated and wear a mask. Our health department team is available to get community members connected to help, vaccinations, and masks.”

Information about local behavioral health resources is available at smchd.org/getyourmaskandvaccinehere,comeonecomeall/resistanceisfutileyouwillbeassimilated.
Corrected for TPD!

TPD

the poor dad
I do wonder if my name is mentioned and joked about among health department employees like it is here on this forum. May I live in infamy among the health department and my favorite doctor for eons to come! :diva: