• Take the grand and spend it all on a similar policy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take the grand and buy no insurance

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Most company provided plans cost around $1,000 a month. Presuming your company is paying the whole thing for you, if your company gave you the option of a $1,000 a month raise and no health insurance or sty the same, what would you do?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
My company does not pay the entire amount but they do pay a large chunk. I carry the insurance for Ott and I through my firm and it is $160 per month for excellent coverage...a PPO. Of course, those days could be over....

The firm's portion is about $800-$900.

Most company provided plans cost around $1,000 a month. Presuming your company is paying the whole thing for you, if your company gave you the option of a $1,000 a month raise and no health insurance or sty the same, what would you do?

It's a wash. The $1000/mo raise is about $500 take home, and most policies cost more than that. I'd rather the company did all the paperwork for me and got group plan discounts.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
When Bob and I got married, I dropped my health coverage and went under his policy. Do you think that when I dropped mine, that the company gave me their "savings" as a bonus? Heck no!

Naturally, I knew they wouldn't. But wouldn't it have been nice if they had at least given me 1/2 of what they had been paying for my health insurance.

That would have made me VERY happy. Them, not so much.

Pete

Repete
It's a wash. The $1000/mo raise is about $500 take home, and most policies cost more than that. I'd rather the company did all the paperwork for me and got group plan discounts.

You are in the 50% tax bracket?

Pete

Repete
Good point :yay:

No it isn't, you are nowhere near the 50% tax bracket so it is not even an issue for you.

Also if you would pay even $500 a month for Health coverage being a 20 year old with no health issues you are a fool.......but that is a given I guess but I am talking about people as a whole.

Ther is no way a typical 20 year old with average health should EVER spend $6K a year in healthcare costs.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

No it isn't, you are nowhere near the 50% tax bracket so it is not even an issue for you.

Also if you would pay even $500 a month for Health coverage being a 20 year old with no health issues you are a fool.......but that is a given I guess but I am talking about people as a whole.

Ther is no way a typical 20 year old with average health should EVER spend $6K a year in healthcare costs.

boy you need to relax :lol:
Didn't say it applied to me :duh: It's a good general point that a significant portion of that $1000 will be taken out in taxes, either way.

sockgirl77

Insurance is not an option where I work. Unless you have other coverage, you must take the insurance. I have yet to understand why you are forced to take it. I'm thankful for it but the young guys here hate forking out $80 a month for health insurance that they rarely use. They don't understand that it's there for alot of reasons. I'm sure that they've never been hit with a huge hospital bill.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

:tap:

If you got $1,000, take home. Be it a pre tax dollar, a credit, whatever.

Please don't make this difficult. Everyone knows I like to keep it simple and straight to the point without a lot of extraneous blathering.

:tap:

If you got $1,000, take home. Be it a pre tax dollar, a credit, whatever.

Please don't make this difficult. Everyone knows I like to keep it simple and straight to the point without a lot of extraneous blathering.

I always assume a raise to be pre-tax.

Under your clarification, I'd take the raise and get my own insurance at a lesser cost, same coverage.