Heart Covers Stairway to Heaven, Zeppelin Watches

BOP

It's a pretty good version, but I think the full orchestration, including the choir detracted from it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's a pretty good version, but I think the full orchestration, including the choir detracted from it.

Thank you.

Nothing sticks in my craw like trying to make rock and roll into something it is not. No one takes a bloody ####ing orchestral piece and says "Hey! I know! Let's reduce this down to an electric guitar, a bass player and a 5 piece drum kit! Yeah! That's the stuff, there, boys!"

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Thank you.

Nothing sticks in my craw like trying to make rock and roll into something it is not. No one takes a bloody ####ing orchestral piece and says "Hey! I know! Let's reduce this down to an electric guitar, a bass player and a 5 piece drum kit! Yeah! That's the stuff, there, boys!"

I wasn't paying any attention to the orchestra, just the singing, that guitar riff, and that drummer.

Not to mention the reactions of LZ.

Besides, it's the Kennedy Center. You know they got to pretty it up for all the "classy" folks in DC...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I wasn't paying any attention to the orchestra, just the singing, that guitar riff, and that drummer.

Not to mention the reactions of LZ.

Besides, it's the Kennedy Center. You know they got to pretty it up for all the "classy" folks in DC...

Just watched it again. That is criminal!!! Ann and Nancy set the tone for the thing, chilling, awesome, but, then, all the layering, the strings, the chorus, just STEAL the enormity of the drums coming in. They're barely noticed.

Watch this and see if you see my point. The starkness is what MAKES the thing. The SOLE guitar, the SOLE flute. The SOLE vocals. I am sure it sounded ENORMOUS live with all those layers but, good lord, it steals the soul of the thing.

At 2:14, keyboards come in to thicken it up but, they leave as fast as they came and it let's it breath, back again, still there but, not. At 4:17, the previous minute is spent laying the ground for the drums, haunting, and, then, Bohnam smacks that snare and, BOOM...here we go...

There is so much to be said what the bands of the 70's did knowing they had to pull these tunes off live as they were recorded, 3 piece, 4 piece, whatever.

Sorry but, Ann is the LAST person on this planet that needed a chorus and Nancy was doing fine with no help. And, when the horns come in, I threw up.

:jameo:

PsyOps

Pixelated
I can't think of a better group than Heart to cover that song. Ann Wilson blew the vocals away. And Nancy nailed the acoustic guitar. The whole thing gave me all sorts of chills. For someone like me that grew up with that song and as a musician, it means something to me to have that song done right by the right people.

Sorry Larry, but I loved it.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I can't think of a better group than Heart to cover that song. Ann Wilson blew the vocals away. And Nancy nailed the acoustic guitar. The whole thing gave me all sorts of chills. For someone like me that grew up with that song and as a musician, it means something to me to have that song done right by the right people.

Sorry Larry, but I loved it.

:buddies: