Heat Pump Bye-Bye

SamSpade

Going with Boothe. Looks like a good deal. SEER 16, HSPF 9. 2 cycle. Tech actually recommended a lower tonnage than we had.
And I like the warranty stuff. Pretty much free labor and parts for about as long as I plan to live here, more or less.

Grumpy

Going with Boothe. Looks like a good deal. SEER 16, HSPF 9. 2 cycle. Tech actually recommended a lower tonnage than we had.
And I like the warranty stuff. Pretty much free labor and parts for about as long as I plan to live here, more or less.
You'll notice a difference :yay:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Tech actually recommended a lower tonnage than we had.
People insist on getting the biggest system they can, thinking that bigger is better, won't run as long, cools faster. Problem with that is that it cools too fast and doesn't run long enough to do a good job of dehumidifying. Then they blame the a/c unit for not working because it still feels wet and sticky in the house. Getting the water out of the air is just, if not more, important than the actual cooling.

Clem72

Looks like you got the same unit I got from them two years ago (depending on tonnage). Deciding factor for me was that the design was basically a decade old so it was much less likely to be a lemon or need multiple tuneups in the first year like a state of the art unit might. Actually my 12 year old unit that was being replaced was more efficient, but it was a super-Cadillac back when it was put in.

I was on the fence about going geothermal/ground source but I didn't want to invest the extra funds when retirement was near and there was a good chance I might have been moving away.

I like Boothe's, they are a pretty solid bunch. But I do feel they are pricing their units at a premium. The Amana system they sold me (which is admittedly a lower tier HVAC manufacturer) was more expensive than a similarly spec'd Trane from one of the other larger local HVAC companies. Again, I wasn't worried (10 year old design that I could look up performance data on) because their service and techs are good, but I wish I had shopped around a bit more before I pulled the trigger.

SamSpade

I was on the fence about going geothermal/ground source but I didn't want to invest the extra funds when retirement was near and there was a good chance I might have been moving away.

That was a big factor too. I really plan to be out of here in ten years. Barring catastrophe, I am retiring then and have no wish to live here. My youngest will be grown and God willing able to handle herself. My oldest will probably live near me wherever I go for as long as I live.

But I am not paying for a system with the intent of recouping my money over the long haul. Aint gonna be no long haul.

phreddyp

That was a big factor too. I really plan to be out of here in ten years. Barring catastrophe, I am retiring then and have no wish to live here. My youngest will be grown and God willing able to handle herself. My oldest will probably live near me wherever I go for as long as I live.

But I am not paying for a system with the intent of recouping my money over the long haul. Aint gonna be no long haul.
Good luck with Booths :whoosh: