Hello Fresh

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They might help me stay on a diet too, I tend to stay on the see food diet too much.

Some of them are quite high in calories, I'm guessing because of the mayonnaisey sauces and blobs of butter they're cooked in. I got ones that were 600 calories per serving or less, which still seems high for what they are.

We shall see.....

CRHS89

There was a store like that in....I can't remember where...but I wish they'd all do it. Being able to buy just what you need saves a TON of waste.
I've always said I wish you could just buy 2 or 4 pieces of rye bread. I love a sandwich or two with rye bread every now and then but no way can I eat a whole loaf.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've always said I wish you could just buy 2 or 4 pieces of rye bread. I love a sandwich or two with rye bread every now and then but no way can I eat a whole loaf.
It freezes perfectly. I always have a rye and a white in the freezer. Give it smack on the counter to release the slices and put it back. I vacuum seal it if I won't use it for a while, otherwise a freezer ziploc keeps it from getting funky. Freeze it first, then vacuum seal so it doesn't squash.

As a side note, I read recently that freezing and toasting bread both lowers it's glycemic index.

PeoplesElbow

It freezes perfectly. I always have a rye and a white in the freezer. Give it smack on the counter to release the slices and put it back. I vacuum seal it if I won't use it for a while, otherwise a freezer ziploc keeps it from getting funky. Freeze it first, then vacuum seal so it doesn't squash.

As a side note, I read recently that freezing and toasting bread both lowers it's glycemic index.
Where Im from we have what we lovingly refer to as Tally Bread, my mom always wants to freeze it, but I never did like the taste of bread that has been frozen, something just not right about it.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Where Im from we have what we lovingly refer to as Tally Bread, my mom always wants to freeze it, but I never did like the taste of bread that has been frozen, something just not right about it.
I've never found a difference. Texture maybe a bit, but not so much the taste.

DaSDGuy

My SO and I tried Hello Fresh a few years ago. Started out great, except when we said order nothing this next week and they sent stuff anyway. All the meals we received the first couple months were awesome, but we cancelled because the variety was getting limited. Saved the meal cards and duplicated the meals ourselves. After about a year we tried HF again because the offer was better. New recipes at first, then back to the old list. The last straw was when we received the order a week late and everything was bad. The chicken went so bad the packet burst open in the box. Nasty. Cancelled again. Probably never join again.
Good luck with them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, they made a good first impression.

This week's meals:
  • Brown Sugar Bourbon Pork Chops with Apple Pan Sauce, Scallion Mashed Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts
  • Meatloaf à la Mom with Potato Wedges, Broccoli & Gravy
  • Pecan-Crusted Chicken with Honey Mustard Sauce & Mixed Greens Apple Salad
  • Pork Sausage Pesto Flatbreads with Roma Tomatoes & Mozz
  • Sweet Kale Salad & Roast Chicken (which I bought "extra" for lunches)
Each meal ingredient set came in individual paper bags, with the proteins separated below the bags in heavy plastic. Conceivably you grab the meal bag and the corresponding protein, start cooking.

The produce was fresh and good looking, included a large recipe card with ingredient list, what all you need to supply (salt, pepper, pans), and detailed instructions on how to make the dish.

Yesterday afternoon I made the flatbreads; Monello and I both agreed they were a winner. The card said they should take 35 minutes to prepare; I had it done and served in 25. So it's geared toward people who really don't cook.

It was a LOT of food. Two flatbreads with toppings, supposed to be 2 servings but that's for hearty appetites. Monello and I both ate, then I had another half when I got home from work late, and there's another half in the fridge. The toppings were generous and could have easily topped 4 flatbreads instead of two.

The kale salad is a huge bag of chopped salad greens with two good size pre-cooked chicken breasts. It's not two salads, it's easily three and maybe four.

And now I know why everything is so caloric. You take the flatbread, toast it up and schmear it with garlic cream cheese, layer on the chopped tomatoes, top with a mountain of sausage, drizzle with a decadent pesto, and top with mozz. It was delicious but next time I'd get two extra flatbreads and divvy up the toppings, maybe skip the cream cheese.

In fact you could easily reduce the calories in the dish by tweaking it and using the omitted, say, cream cheese for something else. If you're a cook you could revamp the whole thing. I'm committed to preparing each dish as presented for now, but if I keep up with this I can see the recipe becoming merely a suggestion.

Four meals a week - actually eight because each kit serves two - might be too many meals for just me. I'll either have to recruit Monello to share or back it off to maybe 3 kits a week.

You do have to plan your meals to some extent, depending on the produce and how long it will keep. Tonight I'm making the pecan crusted chicken because the salad greens will be the first of the produce to go over. Then I'll do the meatloaf because of the broccoli, then the pork chops because brussel sprouts are sturdier and hang in there longer. The kale salad is for lunches.

I'll post reviews as I remember and let you know if I have any problems with it.

My sis say’s their customer support is pretty reliable. If you find things missing or any other issues they tend to comp within reason.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Pecan-Crusted Chicken with Honey Mustard Sauce & Mixed Greens Apple Salad

pecan-chicken.jpg