Help: headspace gauge i can borrow?

dustin

UAIOE
Does anyone have a "field" or "no-go" headspace gauge I can borrow for a Mosin-Nagant (7.62x54R)?

I don't want to have to spend ~40 bucks on something i'm only going to use once. The gun shops/gunsmiths around here don't have any gauges in that size.

meddauna

i'm going to take a quick guess and say you're having trouble getting the bolt open after firing a round?

SquirrelBait

Look at her SMILE
Does anyone have a "field" or "no-go" headspace gauge I can borrow for a Mosin-Nagant (7.62x54R)?

I don't want to have to spend ~40 bucks on something i'm only going to use once. The gun shops/gunsmiths around here don't have any gauges in that size.

Rent one

Inkd

What kind of problems are you having with it? If you can chamber a loaded factory round the odds are it will be okay. Being it's a military surplus gun I would think the tolerances are going to be fairly loose, I would think as long as you can close the bolt on a loaded factory round and your headspace is a little loose your accuracy wouldn't be great whereas if it was to tight you could have a serious over pressurization problem.

dustin

UAIOE
i havent fired it or even loaded a round yet. i'm more concerned with excessive headspace than too little because as stated earlier if the bolt wont close with a round in it then it will have too little headspace so that's easy to tell.

i just dont want to risk having receiver shrapnel fly at my face. i guess i could shoot a few and see if the casing is stretching... don't have a micrometer though...

i found some gauges that are relatively cheap. so i think i'm going to get those. Okie Headspace Gauges