Help Horse Going To Slaughter!

SoftballCrazy

BrassieChic said:
I JUST RECEIVED A CALL FROM A FRIEND IN CALVERT. There is a 4 y/o Thorobred gelding (off track in Bowie) in need of a home either lay up for 2 weeks minimum to a month max. UNLESS someone would want to keep the horse for good. He is a nice bay gelding that has a minor bowed tendon and the OWNER has decided he's taking up space and is going to send him to slaughter! I have to give them an answer by 6 p.m. tonight! PLEASE CAN someone with SPACE and a BIG HEART help this horse. He would need to be picked up by Friday & this could we worked out. He is up-to-date on all shots and neg. coggins. I've been told that he doesn't NEED 24 hour stall rest but can be turned out for part of the day! flowers:

need some info on this horse...may have someone that can help, but they asked these questions...
Questions: Who is the trainer? Owner? Current Vet?
Horse's name? Height? Any other health problems (i.e., chips, crappy feet)? Recent vet provided/used medications (i.e., vitamin jugs, steroids, clenbutural etc.) Any behavioral problems (i.e., cribs, weaves, eats people, hates men, scared of needles) What is his general demeanor (i.e., quiet, bomb-proof, anxious, hot-as-hell?). Strictly race trained or has any other work been put into him? Does he load? Does he cross tie? Clip?

When was the last time he was turned out in a paddock? a pasture?
they also gave me this site- www.canterusa.com, look under the Mid Atlantic Chapter for Beth/Allie and email them...

Winn Dixie

Song of the South
SoftballCrazy said:
need some info on this horse...may have someone that can help, but they asked these questions...
Questions: Who is the trainer? Owner? Current Vet?
Horse's name? Height? Any other health problems (i.e., chips, crappy feet)? Recent vet provided/used medications (i.e., vitamin jugs, steroids, clenbutural etc.) Any behavioral problems (i.e., cribs, weaves, eats people, hates men, scared of needles) What is his general demeanor (i.e., quiet, bomb-proof, anxious, hot-as-hell?). Strictly race trained or has any other work been put into him? Does he load? Does he cross tie? Clip?

When was the last time he was turned out in a paddock? a pasture?
they also gave me this site- www.canterusa.com, look under the Mid Atlantic Chapter for Beth/Allie and email them...

I don't know a lot about horses, but why do you need to know it's name and what makes you think a horse on its way to slaughter actually has a trainer? Is "crappy feet" a technical term? I can't even imagine how anyone would know some of these things and don't understand why you would need to know a majority of them. :jameo:

SoftballCrazy

Winn Dixie said:
I don't know a lot about horses, but why do you need to know it's name and what makes you think a horse on its way to slaughter actually has a trainer? Is "crappy feet" a technical term? I can't even imagine how anyone would know some of these things and don't understand why you would need to know a majority of them. :jameo:

I don't either...thats what some horse rescue people told me to ask...I think since its a horse from Bowie racetrack, they know 2 trainers that work there, so wanted to check the name and see if the trainers know how it is behavior wise. They thought it odd that anyone would send it to slaughter if it only needs a 2 wk lay off...Thats all I know...only trying to put people in touch w/ others that can help.

barncat

SoftballCrazy said:
I don't either...thats what some horse rescue people told me to ask...I think since its a horse from Bowie racetrack, they know 2 trainers that work there, so wanted to check the name and see if the trainers know how it is behavior wise. They thought it odd that anyone would send it to slaughter if it only needs a 2 wk lay off...Thats all I know...only trying to put people in touch w/ others that can help.

I agree, getting rid of a horse because it has a minor bowed tendon sounds fishy, there must be more to the story. Bowed tendons are common on the track and are not always career ending.

Winn Dixie

Song of the South
BrassieChic said:
Hey...look what someone posted in my CP with Red Karma. Shame Shame and didn't leave your name...how sad some peoples lives are!

Good my dog needs some Alpo, mix this T-bred with the Blind Horse in the other post and my Pooch will be EATING GOOOOOOOOD

There must be a red karma fool running amuck, here's mine:

Help Horse Going To Sla... 08-28-2006 03:10 PM Your right, you dont know alot about horses, so stay out of it
Help Horse Going To Sla... 08-28-2006 03:07 PM atleast he's trying to help

I wasn't trying to criticize, I was trying to understand (to #1) and he answered my question (to #2).

Hope everything works out with the horse.

SoftballCrazy

barncat said:
I agree, getting rid of a horse because it has a minor bowed tendon sounds fishy, there must be more to the story. Bowed tendons are common on the track and are not always career ending.
Correct, and I think the rescue wanted to find out all they could before bringing home a horse that had major issues or something thats not as mild as the original email sounded. They wanted an idea of what they'd be working with, esp since other horses are at the farm.

eazyevans

BrassieChic said:
I JUST RECEIVED A CALL FROM A FRIEND IN CALVERT. There is a 4 y/o Thorobred gelding (off track in Bowie) in need of a home either lay up for 2 weeks minimum to a month max. UNLESS someone would want to keep the horse for good. He is a nice bay gelding that has a minor bowed tendon and the OWNER has decided he's taking up space and is going to send him to slaughter! I have to give them an answer by 6 p.m. tonight! PLEASE CAN someone with SPACE and a BIG HEART help this horse. He would need to be picked up by Friday & this could we worked out. He is up-to-date on all shots and neg. coggins. I've been told that he doesn't NEED 24 hour stall rest but can be turned out for part of the day! flowers:

All folks,

Just wanted to jump in regarding this post. Brassie, nice of you to post this for your friend. I have spoken to her in the recent past regarding another situation that required temporary placement of a horse until she had space. Everyone's concerns and criticisms are reasonable. Does it seem like overkill to ask such detailed questions when a horse's life is possibly endangered? Maybe. I provided the question list when approached by a private citizen with the scenario of taking on the horse as a show pony or resale project given the information Brassie provided. I am a racehorse owner and I have contacts at Bowie that could follow-up on the information and its certainly possible that its a horse I may know something about. As a horse owner, racehorse and pet variety, I know that a bow is not a "future ending" injury. Although many racehorses are retired when this injury occurs, I can tell you that many go on to other careers, including some that have become champion steeplechasers. The question list would be similar in the case of a rescue in the more traditional sense (i.e., neglect, abuse). These details would assist in determining the appropriate foster or permanent home. As horse owners have varying degrees of experience, you want to place a "hot" or aggressive horse with someone who has handled a horse with that temperment. If a track horse with no pasture time/turn out experience goes from their box stall to turnout in a pasture without a transition period, the results could be disasterous. I have seem horses crash fences and wrap themselves up in high-tensil wire and its awlful and costly. Other questions regarding feet, health etc. are useful when determining necessary actions to be taken in regards to caring for the horse. They are really pretty standard questions. Of course, there are times when that level of detail isn't available or the situation doesn't afford the luxury of getting it and you have to rely on visual inspection, vet exam, and personal experience while handling the horse and accessing their situation.

Again, appreciate everyone's comments!

Last edited: