Help!!!! Horses = Acreage????

erinjograves

Hi Guys,

How many acres do you have to have in St. Mary's County to be able to put a horse on your property??

I know is Charles its 3 acres for the first horse and 1 acre per horse after that. Is St. Mary's the same way??

Thanks Bunches!!
Erin

fredsaid2

Size of property doesn't come into play in St. Mary's until you build a barn.

FAQ #6: How many animals may I have on my property?
Our zoning ordinance does not regulate the number of animals kept for agricultural activities.
However, animal husbandry operations must maintain adequate fencing or other means of
confinement (CZO Section 51.3.3.a.1).
Animals kept for personal enjoyment are not regulated by the zoning ordinance except when
shelter is provided for hoofed animals. A stable requires at least three acres of land. If a stable is
provided, two “large animals” per acre are permitted (CZO Section 51.3.119). “Large animal” is
not defined.

FAQ #5: Do I need a permit to build a barn?
A permit is not required to construct a building for agricultural purposes if the structure is to be
located outside the Critical Area. The building must comply with required setbacks of at least 5
feet from the side and rear property lines (CZO Schedule 32.1 footnote 4) and be separated from
all other structures by at least 10 feet (CZO Section 51.2.4.c). It may not be located in the
required front yard setback. It must be located at least 10 feet away from a septic
system/easement and at least 15 feet away from any well. Septic and well setbacks may be
reduced by the Health Department in some circumstances.
An environmental permit is required to construct an agricultural building if the structure is to be
located in the Critical Area.
A private stable (not related to the ordinary operation of a farm), is considered an agricultural
building for permitting purposes. A minimum lot size of 3 acres is required. The structure must
be located at least 100 feet from side or rear lot lines (CZO Section 51.3.119).

http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/lugm/docs/LUGMFAQ.pdf

erinjograves

thanks Fred!!!! I searched and searched the St Mary's site yesterday and none of the pages wanted to come up! After about 2 hours, I gave up and came here!!!

I will get this info to the person looking for it!! Thanks so much for your help!!!

:)

fredsaid2

thanks Fred!!!! I searched and searched the St Mary's site yesterday and none of the pages wanted to come up! After about 2 hours, I gave up and came here!!!

I will get this info to the person looking for it!! Thanks so much for your help!!!

:)

You're very welcome! It's one of those things I had to nail down when we were looking for land.

ladyhawk

Hi Guys,

How many acres do you have to have in St. Mary's County to be able to put a horse on your property??

I know is Charles its 3 acres for the first horse and 1 acre per horse after that. Is St. Mary's the same way??

Thanks Bunches!!
Erin

I wish Calvert County had a limit of the horses per acre... From what I understand you can throw all the horses on a small acreage as long as you provide "proper care" and shelter.... We at one time had 19 horses on less about four acres... Now we at least have a limit of 12 horses for the area so we do have some grass with weeds..... It gets expensive when you have no field grass left and have to throw out more hay!

I figure it has something to do with the Race Courses around here.... You would think they could do provisions for both considering they have for other animals...

June

ladyhawk

Buyer Beware

Yeah, thats why we were looking for it. I have a friend looking to buy a place in St Mary's.

Thanks again!

Anyone finding property for sale on sixes road (I believe it was 2160) in Calvert County should check with the county for septic permits. You might find the property was deemed unbuildable some time ago... Be more suspicious of someone requesting more earnest money...

We ran across this situation when we tried to find property a couple of years ago. We ended up in court, won our case and because there was no gag order, I am putting this out. The only stipulation was that neither party nor their family members and/or heirs are allowed to refile. I have heard the property has been listed again....

Buyer Beware!
June

Martinigirl

As of 2005, Calvert has the same requirements. 3 acres for the 1st horse and 1 acre for each horse after. When buying, if there is already a set up for horses on the property, it can be grandfathered into the purchase for 1 horse per 1 acre. Judy Holt of Calvert County Planning and Zoning can clarify this further. I spoke with her for over a year regarding my 2007 purchase of property from my Mom. Mom bought property BEFORE the 2005 change. I still could not put a horse onto the property as it was not set up prior the 2005 change.

fredsaid2

As of 2005, Calvert has the same requirements. 3 acres for the 1st horse and 1 acre for each horse after. When buying, if there is already a set up for horses on the property, it can be grandfathered into the purchase for 1 horse per 1 acre. Judy Holt of Calvert County Planning and Zoning can clarify this further. I spoke with her for over a year regarding my 2007 purchase of property from my Mom. Mom bought property BEFORE the 2005 change. I still could not put a horse onto the property as it was not set up prior the 2005 change.

The way I read the regs St. Mary's doesn't limit the number of horses unless you build a barn. Then you need 3 acres and can have 6 horse on those three acres.

Last edited:

vbailey

vbailey
My house will be on the market sometime in June...great place for horses...20 acres, already has a huge barn, 5 bedroom cape cod house....in St. Mary's

erinjograves

My house will be on the market sometime in June...great place for horses...20 acres, already has a huge barn, 5 bedroom cape cod house....in St. Mary's

Sounds really nice! But, I dont think this couple can afford a place like that! I wish I could tho - I would move in a second!!!!!!!