HELP! How do I fix it??

JLS

Not sure if I hit something or whats happened.. My Kodak C1450 - the screen stays black (i've only had this camera since Nov 2011) if I try to pull up the memory card - it will pull up and show the pics I've taken on the card but when I try to take a picture - the screen stays black and the flash will go off but the picture is all black.. shudder broke or something? I took pictures with it and then sat it down on the table - went to pick it up and take another picture and it stopped working?!?! and I need it next week!! What does this sound like happened?? or how can I fix it??? Thanks for any info!

DEEKAYPEE8569

Not sure if I hit something or whats happened.. My Kodak C1450 - the screen stays black (i've only had this camera since Nov 2011) if I try to pull up the memory card - it will pull up and show the pics I've taken on the card but when I try to take a picture - the screen stays black and the flash will go off but the picture is all black.. shudder broke or something? I took pictures with it and then sat it down on the table - went to pick it up and take another picture and it stopped working?!?! and I need it next week!! What does this sound like happened?? or how can I fix it??? Thanks for any info!

Not trying to be sarcastic J, but start with checking/replacing the batteries.
If your camera has a detachable power cord, plug THAT in and see if the screen works. It MAY be a low power issue. Display screens can DRAIN batteries.....QUICK. Unless you inadvertently dropped it; digital cameras don't usually 'just quit working.' Also, if you have a CF card reader on a computer within reach; try THAT. The pics might still be on the CF card.

JLS

Hi D.. I replaced and put in brand new batts and nothing.. I got online just a minute ago and "chatted" with Kodak's service and they said it sounds like the lens since the shudders still opening up.. they want me to mail it in to them to check under the 1 year warranty ?? but u know how that stuff goes sometimes.. they'll say I must've hit it or dropped or got it wet or something and its my fault and want a boat load of $$ to fix it.. and I need a camera for next week.. grr.. me and my luck.. that sound right u think? the lens?

Not trying to be sarcastic J, but start with checking/replacing the batteries.
If your camera has a detachable power cord, plug THAT in and see if the screen works. It MAY be a low power issue. Display screens can DRAIN batteries.....QUICK. Unless you inadvertently dropped it; digital cameras don't usually 'just quit working.' Also, if you have a CF card reader on a computer within reach; try THAT. The pics might still be on the CF card.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Hi D.. I replaced and put in brand new batts and nothing.. I got online just a minute ago and "chatted" with Kodak's service and they said it sounds like the lens since the shudders still opening up.. they want me to mail it in to them to check under the 1 year warranty ?? but u know how that stuff goes sometimes.. they'll say I must've hit it or dropped or got it wet or something and its my fault and want a boat load of $$ to fix it.. and I need a camera for next week.. grr.. me and my luck.. that sound right u think? the lens?

If this camera has a view screen, you can take pictures using the view screen. Have you tried using the view screen to look thru the lens to take a pic? THAT would tell you whether or not the lens is talking to the rest of the camera.

Edit: If the camera has a CF card; try taking it out and taking a picture. The camera should still take pics without the CF card.

Last edited:

JLS

I have a Kodak C1450.. Screen stays black - even when it flashes - the pic is black but it'll read the memory card and show the pictures on the card.. and the shudder does open..

If this camera has a view screen, you can take pictures using the view screen. Have you tried using the view screen to look thru the lens to take a pic? THAT would tell you whether or not the lens is talking to the rest of the camera.

Edit: If the camera has a CF card; try taking it out and taking a picture. The camera should still take pics without the CF card.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I have a Kodak C1450.. Screen stays black - even when it flashes - the pic is black but it'll read the memory card and show the pictures on the card.. and the shudder does open..

I don't know if you've tried this already, but download the pics from the camera/CF card to your computer. Then you can use the picture editing software to "lighten" the pictures. If I understand your problem, you are taking pictures that are not adequately viewable on the camera?

You MAY have to read the section in what I am assuming is a THICK owner's manual; the part about Fstops or exposure; however it is worded in the manual. You may have to "tinker" with the exposure settings a bit to get the pictures to turn out brighter.

Last edited:

GopherM

Darwin was right
Try going into the camera's menu settings and see if it has a "reset" function available.

I know you have probably checked it already, but make sure the lens covers (if it has them) retract when you turn the camera on.

corollinout

The display is obviously working if you can view the pictures. See if your camera has a display button and push that. I can turn my display off and it will stay black but still be able to take pictures and view them.

GopherM

Darwin was right
And have you pulled the card or plugged the camera in to a computer to see if it has recorded any images?

JLS

Hi.. yes I've "reset camera" a few times and nothing.. ???

Try going into the camera's menu settings and see if it has a "reset" function available.

I know you have probably checked it already, but make sure the lens covers (if it has them) retract when you turn the camera on.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Hi.. yes I've "reset camera" a few times and nothing.. ???

If you can take pictures with the camera, you may just have to resign yourself to having to download them to your computer to view and/or edit them. Besides, like I or someone else may have said already; using the display on your camera "eats" batteries faster.

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com
Ok, just to clear some things up for people. If I looked up the correct camera, it is a point and shoot with LCD only, NO eye piece to look through. From what they have said, it sounds like they can take a photo and the flash goes off. When they take the card out of the camera and look at it on their computer it is black, not just dark or under exposed. The LCD only works in play back mode, and only shows photos taken before this problem happened. If I have something wrong in this discription maybe the original poster can correct me.

That said, it sounds like it is something to do with the lens not opening, or the sensor is not registering an image. I had a point and shoot that I dropped once, and the lens moved out of place. It was sitting sideways in the camera. It would show things on the LCD but would not focus correctly.

You are in need of a new camera by next week, and you surely won't get this one back from Kodak near soon enough, even if they replace the camera for free. I would go find a new point and shoot so you have a camera next week. Then send out the Kodak, and if they fix/replace it, great you have two cameras. If they want to charge you, tell them no thanks.

Good luck.

JBR

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Go buy a brand new, exact model camera you have, put your bad one in the box and take it back to the store the next day....camera fixed....and pay cash

DEEKAYPEE8569

Go buy a brand new, exact model camera you have, put your bad one in the box and take it back to the store the next day....camera fixed....and pay cash

But isn't that like putting money in a soda machine after it "eats" your first (insert amount here) just to get ONE soda?

JLS

HI - yes and no.. Yes the correct camera - its a P&S w/LCD only - no eye piece to look thru.. the camera will come on normally, all the little words across the LCD screen come on, but the screen itself stays black.. It will flash when u hit the button to take a picture - but the picture comes in on the screen - black. But you can hit the button for the memory card pics to come up and they do and you can view them normally.. so it shows the pics on the card as normal but the screen itself stays black and the shudder does open when you turn it on to take a pic and it will flash but the pictures are all black. Kodak when I talked to them said it sounded like the - lens. and to find the receipt and send to them within 30 days.. prob is - I bought this camera back in November and usually for me - I do tend to keep higher priced item receipt for a few months - and then throw away so i haven't been able to find the stupid receipt for it.. I got it back in November of 2011 during sales for xmas.. and I know I went in there to look at it and the shelf was empty and asked if they had anymore in the back and the girl went to a box behind the photo printing section and they had a box full of them and she handed me one.. Hope this helps - sorry I wasn't more clear with what was happening.. and yes I do need a camera for next week!! Thanks for all the advice too and suggestions!

Ok, just to clear some things up for people. If I looked up the correct camera, it is a point and shoot with LCD only, NO eye piece to look through. From what they have said, it sounds like they can take a photo and the flash goes off. When they take the card out of the camera and look at it on their computer it is black, not just dark or under exposed. The LCD only works in play back mode, and only shows photos taken before this problem happened. If I have something wrong in this discription maybe the original poster can correct me.

That said, it sounds like it is something to do with the lens not opening, or the sensor is not registering an image. I had a point and shoot that I dropped once, and the lens moved out of place. It was sitting sideways in the camera. It would show things on the LCD but would not focus correctly.

You are in need of a new camera by next week, and you surely won't get this one back from Kodak near soon enough, even if they replace the camera for free. I would go find a new point and shoot so you have a camera next week. Then send out the Kodak, and if they fix/replace it, great you have two cameras. If they want to charge you, tell them no thanks.

Good luck.

JBR