Help me pick!

GopherM

Darwin was right
I am getting ready to put up a photo wall of several of my shots. I can't decide on the color or bw version of this shot. I know the details are blown out but it was taken in the early morning hours with a Canon A80 4 meg camera and very little brain power behind the camera at the time.

Do you like color or bw shot the best?

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0391-1.jpg

Last edited:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
B/W. Have you tried it in sepia? Is that a ghost at the end of the corridor?

Spooky yet beautiful photo.

Take the person out.

JMO and I still have my Polaroid Instamatic, so I should not have said anything.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I prefer the B/W, but both are awesome, where were you at?

Thanks.

Aranjuez, Spain in 2009. This was on a side trip while vacationing in Madrid. Our tour guide took us on a tour to visit this palace on a Monday morning not knowing that the palace was closed on Mondays. The shot was taken with an older digital camera without much control over the dynamic range of lighting conditions experienced under some conditions. The camera and I were in heavy shadows with pretty intense early morning light streaming in.

GopherM

Darwin was right
B/W. Have you tried it in sepia? Is that a ghost at the end of the corridor?

Spooky yet beautiful photo.

Take the person out.

JMO and I still have my Polaroid Instamatic, so I should not have said anything.

Yes...the sepia didn't look too good and not that much different than the natural color.

No ghost, it's a real person. You don't have much control of who or what wanders in after you pull the trigger. The very small LCDscreen (about 1/5 inches) on this camera didn't let me see any detail of that level to retake the shot either.

I think the person gives some idea of the scale and might be best to leave in.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Yes...the sepia didn't look too good and not that much different than the natural color.

No ghost, it's a real person. You don't have much control of who or what wanders in after you pull the trigger. The very small LCDscreen (about 1/5 inches) on this camera didn't let me see any detail of that level to retake the shot either.

I think the person gives some idea of the scale and might be best to leave in.

I like the person at the end, like you said it gives it scale. I would tweak the black just a tad darker if possible.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Definitely the B&W; there is some tonality there, whereas in the color one it's completely gone.

Nice shot. :yay:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I like the person at the end, like you said it gives it scale. I would tweak the black just a tad darker if possible.

I was kidding. It would be cool if it was a ghost. :lol:

Beautiful picture, G. Either way.

It's a "Framer".

GopherM

Darwin was right

I tried that and started losing detail in the overhead arch. I used Lightroom 3 and fiddled with both the exposure, fill light and recovery and this was about the best I could come up with without hurting something else in the scene.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I was kidding. It would be cool if it was a ghost. :lol:

Beautiful picture, G. Either way.

It's a "Framer".

Thanks! I've got some I took in Rome that you would really like. Long exposure inside a cathedral with people ghostily moving through the scene. The appear as smokey wisps while the rest of the scene is in sharp focus.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I like the B&W because you don't notice the pepsi machine or whatever it is at the end as much.

That's a very good point. I guess if I use that shot for anything I'll have to do a little Photoshopping and make it the same color as the surroundings.

That's a very good point. I guess if I use that shot for anything I'll have to do a little Photoshopping and make it the same color as the surroundings.

I like the BW but might tone down the contast a bit. Of course I know nothing about this this stuff.