Help needed in seeding horse pasture

Bilbo

I am in need of someone that can broadcast seed roughly 10 acres of farmland with seed for horse pasture. Winter wheat was just taken off the property and we want to get seed on it as soon as possible. Will also be needing it reseeded end of August to early september. I will provide seed just need someone with a tractor and broadcast spreader. Property located in Morganza, would like to do this the 1st week of July. Please PM me questions and price.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I am in need of someone that can broadcast seed roughly 10 acres of farmland with seed for horse pasture. Winter wheat was just taken off the property and we want to get seed on it as soon as possible. Will also be needing it reseeded end of August to early september. I will provide seed just need someone with a tractor and broadcast spreader. Property located in Morganza, would like to do this the 1st week of July. Please PM me questions and price.

I would recommend a seed drill! and would also wait til late august. The Aug heat will kill off seedlings.... but if you wait til late August, September rains will make for a stronger pasture.

Last edited:

highnote

Agree with the two postings above. If you broadcast it now, you will be wasting 90% of your seed (your success rate with broadcast is 50/50 and the summer heat will kill most of the survivors).

Throw some rye or similar cheap seed out now just to hold the topsoil. Then seed for your desired grass in late august/early sept.

If you do decide to use a broadcast spreader, use a deep aerator FIRST. That will create holes that the seed can go into. We like using a core aerator, but I dont think it would be effective for 10 acres (we've used it on 4 acres max, which is still a good day's work for one person).

EquinePlanner

I know a couple farmers in that area that might be able to help you out. PM me your contact information and I will forward it to them.