Help ... Well Water ... Yuck

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
I moved into a house with well water about two weeks ago. Since I've been there, I've had incredibly dry skin, dry scalp and it feels like my hair is drying out.

I've never lived in a house with well water, so I'm not sure if this is something that's normal or not.

Any of you ladies have issues with well water? If so, any recommendations?

M

Mousebaby

I moved into a house with well water about two weeks ago. Since I've been there, I've had incredibly dry skin, dry scalp and it feels like my hair is drying out.

I've never lived in a house with well water, so I'm not sure if this is something that's normal or not.

Any of you ladies have issues with well water? If so, any recommendations?

Can you get a water softener installed? Ask your landlord. Go to a Dermatologist and get him to write that you need the water softner because of your severe dry skin. It might work, who knows?

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
Can you get a water softener installed? Ask your landlord. Go to a Dermatologist and get him to write that you need the water softner because of your severe dry skin. It might work, who knows?

I'm my landlord.

So maybe I'll look into that. Hopefully it's not too expensive.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I had horrible problems with St Mary's water both well and public. Water softeners are expensive but worth it. If that's not money you're willing to shell out yet go to Lowe's and get a whole house filter. I think mine was under $50. You're cute, I can convince Mojo to install it for you, he's a plumber. :lol:

How do you like the new diggs?

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
I had horrible problems with St Mary's water both well and public. Water softeners are expensive but worth it. If that's not money you're willing to shell out yet go to Lowe's and get a whole house filter. I think mine was under $50. You're cute, I can convince Mojo to install it for you, he's a plumber. :lol:

How do you like the new diggs?

I will start looking into water softeners and a house filter. I have to do something - my hair is drying out and my skin is all ashy. Lotion doesn't help much. I put lotion on and it feels like the lotion turns to water. Lovely huh?

I guess that I'll take a trip down to Lowe's this weekend to get an idea of what a water softener would cost me. I don't know if I can dish a whole rack of $$$ out right now because I keep finding more crap that I need to buy for the house.

Overall the house is great. I'm happy that I decided to take a risk and I'm super happy down here. It's nice to not have to worry about lots of neighbors, having a back yard is great, it's nice to have more room than my old apartment .... However, I HATE leaves. I've been raking leaves little by little and I think that I'm just going to set the whole backyard on fire to get rid of them. :biggrin:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
However, I HATE leaves. I've been raking leaves little by little and I think that I'm just going to set the whole backyard on fire to get rid of them. :biggrin:

While raking leaves is great exercise, a leafblower is your friend, especially if you're crunched for time or just have a lot of leaves. Lowe's sells those too.

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
While raking leaves is great exercise, a leafblower is your friend, especially if you're crunched for time or just have a lot of leaves. Lowe's sells those too.

My dad has a leaf blower. I plan on stealing it from him since he never uses it. He'll never know ... until he goes to use it 5 years from now and finds that it's gone.

And I raked for two hours on Saturday and got virtually nothing done. However, I do have a nice 6 foot long by 3 foot tall pile of leaves - just from a space about 20x20 feet.

I will start looking into water softeners and a house filter. I have to do something - my hair is drying out and my skin is all ashy. Lotion doesn't help much. I put lotion on and it feels like the lotion turns to water. Lovely huh?

I guess that I'll take a trip down to Lowe's this weekend to get an idea of what a water softener would cost me. I don't know if I can dish a whole rack of $$$ out right now because I keep finding more crap that I need to buy for the house.

Overall the house is great. I'm happy that I decided to take a risk and I'm super happy down here. It's nice to not have to worry about lots of neighbors, having a back yard is great, it's nice to have more room than my old apartment .... However, I HATE leaves. I've been raking leaves little by little and I think that I'm just going to set the whole backyard on fire to get rid of them. :biggrin:

Sears has them for $400. If you can do a little basic plumbing you might be able to handle install youself.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
We've got a whole-house water softener unit in our garage that services the entire house, and we love it! It wa put in by the previous owners, so I have no idea on the initial cost, but the maintence costs (re-stocking with salt crystals) is pretty minimal. I've had the guys from culligan (the ones that originally installed it) come out for servicing, but that was still under warranty. In short, other than the crystal purchases, I've not put any money in to it.

jsouthan

We've got a whole-house water softener unit in our garage that services the entire house, and we love it! It wa put in by the previous owners, so I have no idea on the initial cost, but the maintence costs (re-stocking with salt crystals) is pretty minimal. I've had the guys from culligan (the ones that originally installed it) come out for servicing, but that was still under warranty. In short, other than the crystal purchases, I've not put any money in to it.

We have pretty much the same setup (except ours is in the basement). About twice a year, I think, we have to buy one of those huge bags of rock salt, but that's about all we do to it. We also have a whole house water filter. Without it, the water is just not the same. Trust me, we know when the filter needs to be changed. It will be well worth your investment.