Help with Bad Neighbors ?

The Boss

I was wondering if anyone can help me? Live on a "cul-de-sac " and the homes are relatively close together. Neighbors on one side moved and rented the house to family(sister) who when she first arrived had two kids ,now there are 8 people and an infant in the home .Cars coming all hours of the day and night ...literally blocking my driveway and while I realize we have relaxed the pot laws they are smoking it like it going out of style on the front porch and the back deck and it stinks . Trash everywhere ,we have a HOA but they say call the Police and Police say they aren't breaking any laws? It's going to kill my property value if we try to sell. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If the cars are blocking your driveway, they are absolutely breaking the law. AND your HOA is supposed to be dealing with unkempt properties - that's what they're for.

I feel for people with crappy neighbors. About the only thing you can do is become "that guy" who is always calling the cops, complaining about them to HOA, making their life as miserable as you can within the confines of the law. If you have contact information - phone or email - for the property owner, light them up on the regular. At some point they might get tired of you and do something, or the sister and her pals will move somewhere that you're not.

Rommey

Have you tried talking to them? Maybe they are oblivious to how their actions are affecting others.
I realize you might not want to be confrontational, but the direct method might be the quickest resolution. And it doesn't have to be contentious, as a simple conversation might be all it takes...let them know how you feel.

glhs837

Power with Control
If the roads are not public roads, the blocking in might not be illegal, but an HOA issue. I would read the HOA agreement front to back, take note, chapter and verse. Most have limits on vehicle parking and rules concerning trash. HOAs are run by people, and some people are non-confrontational. The who;e point of one is to preserve property values by setting rules and enforcing them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
HOAs are run by people, and some people are non-confrontational.

I have never met an HOA person who wasn't in that position specifically to get in everyone's business and make silly demands about their property. It's surprising that this particular HOA doesn't want to get involved - usually HOAs are filled with busybodies who have nothing better to do than come at you with a bunch of demands and threats.

glhs837

Power with Control
I have never met an HOA person who wasn't in that position specifically to get in everyone's business and make silly demands about their property. It's surprising that this particular HOA doesn't want to get involved - usually HOAs are filled with busybodies who have nothing better to do than come at you with a bunch of demands and threats.

Iknowright. I'm curious what subd this is where the HOA doesnt get on ya.

This isn't the family SailorGirl was dealing with, was it? :lol: This was talked about recently, maybe you can glean something from this thread.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
the blocking in might not be illegal
MD Transportation Code - § 21-1003(l) Standing or parking. -- A person may not stand or park a vehicle in front of a private driveway without the consent of the owner or occupant of the premises.

The Boss

Thanks everyone. Talking to them is not an option, over a year ago the former people had a party and this sister threw her trash (chicken dinner plate) on the street and my daughter said something and ....it got very very bad. 17 homes on the street and this one is the only one being a problem,I've talked to other neighbors but they don't want to get involved they are scared.

MiddleGround

Really make their day. Have 2 of your neighbors, at different times about 5-10 minutes apart, call the cops and tell them that they are openly using drugs with many people coming and going and that you thought you saw someone with a gun.

Sit back and watch 🍿

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Report the crime anonymously.
St. Mary's 301 475-3333
Calvert 410 535-2800
Charles La Plata 301 932-2222, Indian Head 301 743-2222, Waldorf 301 932-7777

Thanks everyone.
I do feel your pain. Had some bad neighbors renting directly across the street from me. Loud and obnoxious, 2 teenage kids that were totally out of control. Fireworks landing on my roof, noise to all hours. I had enough one night when at 1am I was awoken by the most horrible screeching noise getting louder and louder. And then a BANG! Looked out the window, there was the neighbors car into a pole, front wheel missing (not from the accident, which is what was making the screeching), air bags deployed, engine smoking. I called it in. The kids were arrested for DUI, leaving the scene of an accident. They had driven a few miles without that front wheel. I was able to go out the next day and trace their route by following the marks in the road.

The whole fam damily finally moved out. New folks that moved in said the inside of the house was trashed, had to rebuild most of it.

PeoplesElbow

Thanks everyone. Talking to them is not an option, over a year ago the former people had a party and this sister threw her trash (chicken dinner plate) on the street and my daughter said something and ....it got very very bad. 17 homes on the street and this one is the only one being a problem,I've talked to other neighbors but they don't want to get involved they are scared.
That sounds like a good story. Where I come from there are ways to take care of that sort of thing, but they will get you arrested here.

mitzi

I have no advice but have to say, I can't for the life of me understand why people think it's okay to block someone in their driveway. You could call the cops on that one. Say you needed to get out, couldn't, they wouldn't answer the door for you to ask them to move. Then tell the cops it happens all the time and what can you do.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm sorry, I can't give you any advice because I'm always the bad neighbor on the block. :dance:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I have no advice but have to say, I can't for the life of me understand why people think it's okay to block someone in their driveway. You could call the cops on that one. Say you needed to get out, couldn't, they wouldn't answer the door for you to ask them to move. Then tell the cops it happens all the time and what can you do.

I have never had bad neighbors in my entire lifetime of 64 years, That’s all.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I was wondering if anyone can help me? Live on a "cul-de-sac " and the homes are relatively close together. Neighbors on one side moved and rented the house to family(sister) who when she first arrived had two kids ,now there are 8 people and an infant in the home .Cars coming all hours of the day and night ...literally blocking my driveway and while I realize we have relaxed the pot laws they are smoking it like it going out of style on the front porch and the back deck and it stinks . Trash everywhere ,we have a HOA but they say call the Police and Police say they aren't breaking any laws? It's going to kill my property value if we try to sell. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Without sounding too intolerant, are they black?

awpitt

Main Streeter
MD Transportation Code - § 21-1003(l) Standing or parking. -- A person may not stand or park a vehicle in front of a private driveway without the consent of the owner or occupant of the premises.

Well, let me be the first. I spent about five years on an HOA board a few years ago. I came on the board just as the builder/developer was loosing their vote because the neighborhood was reaching buildout. They had it to the point where they were telling people what color they could paint their front door. When I and other actual homeowners transitioned on to the board of directors, we changed a lot of the rules to make things more homeowner friendly.