Help with handgun purchase

Papi4baby

So i want to buy a handgun from a local. We go to state police to do the paperwork, and is all good. But by law he has to hold on to the weapon for 7 days then i can pick it up.

The issue arises about me not knowing the person, or much about him. What should i do, i feel weird about giving him the money without any guaranty that he will give me the pistol 7 days later. I mean, he can just take the money and disappear.

Should i just agree to buy it, and meet on the 7th day and give him the money when he gives me the pistol?

Thanks.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
So i want to buy a handgun from a local. We go to state police to do the paperwork, and is all good. But by law he has to hold on to the weapon for 7 days then i can pick it up.

The issue arises about me not knowing the person, or much about him. What should i do, i feel weird about giving him the money without any guaranty that he will give me the pistol 7 days later. I mean, he can just take the money and disappear.

Should i just agree to buy it, and meet on the 7th day and give him the money when he gives me the pistol?

Thanks.

What, why would you give him money before you take posession of the gun? Your commitment to do the State Police paper work shows your commitment to buy it.

I don't see the problem here, give him the money the same time you are allowed to take the gun from him. This is SOP for a face to face handgun deal.

Novus Collectus

What, why would you give him money before you take posession of the gun? Your commitment to do the State Police paper work shows your commitment to buy it.

I don't see the problem here, give him the money the same time you are allowed to take the gun from him. This is SOP for a face to face handgun deal.

Ditto

Papi4baby

Thank guys, i have only bought one before and it was at a store. Was not sure about it for a face to face deal. Thanks once again.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Thank guys, i have only bought one before and it was at a store. Was not sure about it for a face to face deal. Thanks once again.

Sure and noone should expect to recieve payment until after the wait, if they do, eject from the deal.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I understand, if they want money before i get the handgun, eject from the deal. :howdy:

Also, to avoid any confusion in the future; if you're buying a handgun from a private seller; make the sale/purchase through a licenced gun dealer. JMO

At least that's the easiest way I have ever heard of.

Last edited:

JimW711

Driving the Z
Also, to avoid any confusion in the future; if you're buying a handgun from a private seller; make the sale/purchase through a licenced gun dealer. JMO

At least that's the easiest way I have ever heard of.

And the "legal" way! Maryland law requires that any handgun purchase has to go through a licensed dealer for the paperwork even if the actual purchase is from someone that's not a licensed dealer.

A guy I worked with purchased a handgun I had about 4 years ago and we used the Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro to handle the paperwork. If I had sold him the gun without using them or another dealer, I would be in deep shyt.
:coffee:

And the "legal" way! Maryland law requires that any handgun purchase has to go through a licensed dealer for the paperwork even if the actual purchase is from someone that's not a licensed dealer.

A guy I worked with purchased a handgun I had about 4 years ago and we used the Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro to handle the paperwork. If I had sold him the gun without using them or another dealer, I would be in deep shyt.

Or you can just go to the state police to do the paperwork yourself, as was apparently done in this case.

Novus Collectus

If both persons are MD residents, then you can do it through the MD State Police barracks for just $10. The dealer is not the only legal way.

Sparx

I was given a new handgun in Ohio for Christmas. What do I have to do to make it legal in MD? It was registered in Ohio by the giver.

JimW711

Driving the Z
I was given a new handgun in Ohio for Christmas. What do I have to do to make it legal in MD? It was registered in Ohio by the giver.

Go to your local Maryland State Police barracks and tell them that you were given the gun for Christmas as a gift before you bring the weapon inside

:lmao:

Novus Collectus

Ohio does not have handgun registration.

Before I answer this question, you need to answer a few. Do you have a residence in Ohio you maintain as a residence even though you may have your main residence in MD?

Was this handgun bought by the other person a long time ago, or recently?

Sparx

Ohio does not have handgun registration.

Before I answer this question, you need to answer a few. Do you have a residence in Ohio you maintain as a residence even though you may have your main residence in MD?

Was this handgun bought by the other person a long time ago, or recently?

I haven't looked over the paperwork he gave me yet. I thought he said it was registered in his name in OH. I have no property in OH. He bought it just before Christmas.