HELP with laptop issues

WheezyCarl

New laptop will not keep correct time or date. I've set & reset numerous times and still...defaults to the time of my last ended session. I've synced, un-synced, googled-to no avail. It's frustrating. I've read that it could be a battery on or near the motherboard. Guess my question is, is this just an inconvenience or will the problem lead to bigger issues in the future?
Also, If I do return the item, will a factory reset clean the slate of all my accounts and passwords? UGH.
Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Thanks, how do I erase (?) my passwords and account info before returning item?
Pretty easy to replace.

If you are going to return/replace then just reset to factory settings. This should erase all stored data.

WheezyCarl

Pretty easy to replace.

If you are going to return/replace then just reset to factory settings. This should erase all stored data.
Thank you for the advice, but I'm going to pass on the "do it yourself " and return the item.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Thank you for the advice, but I'm going to pass on the "do it yourself " and return the item.
The re stocking fee will be more than the battery replacement cost more than likely and if it's new it should fall under warranty. 90 days?

WheezyCarl

The re stocking fee will be more than the battery replacement cost more than likely and if it's new it should fall under warranty. 90 days?
You're kidding??? It's not the cost of the replacement battery, but that there are no visible screws to remove. Anywhere. I did have to buy the cute pink laptop though...:rolleyes:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Thanks, how do I erase (?) my passwords and account info before returning item?
This is how people have their information stolen, identities, bank accounts, and the like. Thinking they can just delete things on a computer and no one is the wiser. Do yourself a favor, find a reputable person to assist you if in fact it is just the CMOS battery. If not, then have the hard drive removed and destroyed. Returning it to a store only opens you up to possible future personal financial and identity theft problems.

PeoplesElbow

Wipe the drive completely and return it. You need to do a 3x overwrite and erase. It should be the stores problem to redo the drive if they sold you a defective computer.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Also you might want to contact an on-site repair company. That way the laptop won't be at an off-site location so your data should be secure.

WheezyCarl

If I may ...

This is how people have their information stolen, identities, bank accounts, and the like. Thinking they can just delete things on a computer and no one is the wiser. Do yourself a favor, find a reputable person to assist you if in fact it is just the CMOS battery. If not, then have the hard drive removed and destroyed. Returning it to a store only opens you up to possible future personal financial and identity theft problems.
Thank you for the advice, I am going to replace the battery myself. I'm not willing to take a chance that someone could steal my information. Worse case scenario, I'll toss it into the river.