Here’s how Rep. AOC thinks tax breaks Amazon won’t get will be better spent

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
As we told you earlier this afternoon, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez declared victory after Amazon announced they wouldn’t be opening a new headquarters in New York after a lot of protest from the Left.

Ocasio-Cortez now says tax breaks Amazon will not be getting as a result of the canceled project that was expected to create thousands of jobs is money that’s better spent elsewhere:

:killingme

What ignorant **** ...... Queens certainly got the representation they wanted

Reactions: BOP

Salmon

New York needs more affordable housing. Amazon would have driven rent prices beyond the insane point they are at today.

TCROW

New York needs more affordable housing. Amazon would have driven rent prices beyond the insane point they are at today.

Pretty sure rent control (government imposed price ceilings) are the reason for the affordable housing crisis in NY, assuming there is one.

People blamed Amazon for the same thing in Seattle, but once Seattle dropped rent control, guess what? No more affordable housing “crisis”.

Auntie Biache'

Pretty sure rent control (government imposed price ceilings) are the reason for the affordable housing crisis in NY, assuming there is one.

People blamed Amazon for the same thing in Seattle, but once Seattle dropped rent control, guess what? No more affordable housing “crisis”.

It's a manufactured crisis.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yep. Best to just leave that area be the crumbling sh!thole it is today. Which is exactly what will now happen.

CPUSA

I am for building energy-efficient buildings that provide low income housing. How can a single mother afford a good and safe place to live in New York?
You're for receiving disability insurance payments through fraudulent means. You should be in prison, you POS
How could your ex survive around here while raising your child that you REFUSED TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT FOR...you deadbeat

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I am for building energy-efficient buildings that provide low income housing. How can a single mother afford a good and safe place to live in New York?
Child support, let baby daddy pay for it.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

New nominee for "Clueless Post of the Month" award. So many things wrong here it's staggering.

--- End of line (MCP)

22AcaciaAve

These people are so stupid. AOC is leading the pack for rookie moron of the year. The 3 billion in incentives was going to generate 25,000 jobs and bring an increase in revenue of 25 billion to NY. Even Bloomberg and Cuomo, who aren't exactly business friendly, saw this. So in her world saving 3 billion in incentives that can be used to hire more teachers and fix the subway is much better than having a 22 billion profit to hire teachers and fix the subway. Wow. Another progressive clown that just doesn't understand math.

Salmon

New nominee for "Clueless Post of the Month" award. So many things wrong here it's staggering.

--- End of line (MCP)
Are you against providing more affordable housing? Anti-abortion types stand on a moral high horse until it comes to providing for the family.

22AcaciaAve

Are you against providing more affordable housing? Anti-abortion types stand on a moral high horse until it comes to providing for the family.

How much more affordable housing can be bought with a 22 billion dollar profit vs. the 3 billion in saved tax incentives? Why is it that progressives simply do not understand simple business and revenue concepts. Your anti-abortion analogy is not without merit. Progressives are always anti-business. How is it that they do not understand that business is what provides jobs and those jobs are what generate tax revenue? Progressives are like Don Quixote, no windmill too imposing for them.

TCROW

The 3 billion in incentives was going to generate 25,000 jobs and bring an increase in revenue of 25 billion to NY. Even Bloomberg and Cuomo, who aren't exactly business friendly, saw this. So in her world saving 3 billion in incentives that can be used to hire more teachers and fix the subway is much better than having a 22 billion profit to hire teachers and fix the subway. Wow. Another progressive clown that just doesn't understand math.

This is a take I just don't get.

What is so wrong with the people of Queens saying no? This deal was hashed out by Albany and Manhattan. The people closer to issue knew best and told them to **** off. I am always for the smaller unit of government telling the larger one who supposedly "knows best" to get lost. This is generally what we believe with the government education system, and for good reason. The local communities know best how they want their local school system's educational program configured. That logic holds straight up the chain of government.

Make decisions at the smallest unit of government possible for the best outcomes.

I remember a time when small government types held that concept as axiomatic. And Pepperidge Farm remembers too.

Hijinx

The 3 Million in tax incentives does not exist.
You cannot spend what doesn't exist

Well Governments do it every day,but in reality the money does not exist

SamSpade

This is a take I just don't get.

What is so wrong with the people of Queens saying no? This deal was hashed out by Albany and Manhattan. The people closer to issue knew best and told them to **** off. I am always for the smaller unit of government telling the larger one who supposedly "knows best" to get lost.
What larger government was involved? Enlighten me.

Of course they have the right to say no. I just don't see a downside to it.
I don't get the idiotic economics major who thinks 3 billion in tax incentives that haven't been collected
yet would be "better spent" elsewhere. It's taxes they wouldn't have to pay - there's no money there.
In exchange they bring high-paying jobs, additional construction jobs, more tax revenue down the line,
an additional 15,000 jobs later on, and the addition of new jobs in the region around the hq.

TRYING to see why it would be bad. Other cities are salivating over the chance.

TCROW

What larger government was involved? Enlighten me.

Of course they have the right to say no. I just don't see a downside to it.
I don't get the idiotic economics major who thinks 3 billion in tax incentives that haven't been collected
yet would be "better spent" elsewhere. It's taxes they wouldn't have to pay - there's no money there.
In exchange they bring high-paying jobs, additional construction jobs, more tax revenue down the line,
an additional 15,000 jobs later on, and the addition of new jobs in the region around the hq.

TRYING to see why it would be bad. Other cities are salivating over the chance.

Larger governments? As I mentioned, Albany and Manhattan. This is Queens borough government saying, "No. We know better than you as to what our community needs are."

As to your other point, I'm assuming neither of us live in Queens so how would we purport to know what the upside and downside is to the people who live there?

I don't think it is bad per se. But if the people who actually live in Queens think it is, then I'm willing to give deference to their will since I don't really have a dog in the fight. I agree with your comment about this 3 billion not having been collected yet, so the notion of spending elsewhere instead is a fallacious argument. But the point is, if Amazon wants to be here, let them spend their money to make it happen. There will always be work a city has to do to prepare for the arrival of large companies like this. A story broke yesterday that Amazon paid zero taxes on some largish profit. Good for them I say! They pursue an aggressive strategy of rolling over their profits into new business lines, so since this is business expansion just let them have at it without asking for government assistance.

This subsidy thing happens all the time. It's de rigueur to the point where no one questions it. If there weren't subsidies involved, chances are local Queens government would have been more involved in securing this deal and would be more reflective of what the people who live and work there want and not reflect the whims of Albany and the politicians there lining their pockets for a chance to subsidize a large corporation. I remember a time when deals like this used to raise the ire of small government conservatives.