Hey, Democrats!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
With all this sour grapes kvetching about Bush's little airplane ride, aren't you all embarrassed for your party? Just curious because I think of all the childish, immature, idiotic things the Dems have raved about, this one takes the cake. :razz:

chuckster

IMFUBARED
LBJ Hit the Flight Deck Long Before Bush Did

All those Democrats attacking President Bush for landing on the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln seem to have forgotten that one of their own, President Lyndon Johnson, beat Bush to the punch by more than 35 years.

LBJ not only landed on a carrier deck, but even sent the ship to sea just so he could make a widely publicized carrier deck landing.

According to Rear Adm. Stephen Pietropaoli, the Navy's chief spokesman, LBJ ordered the USS Constellation to leave port in San Diego and head out to sea so he could take a helicopter ride to the ship and land in its flight deck. Like Bush, he spent the night aboard, mingled with the crew and made a speech.

That done, the ship went back to San Diego, having given LBJ the publicity platform he sought. Adm. Pietropaoli told USA Today: "The next day it [the carrier] returned to port."

By contrast, the ship upon which Bush landed, the Lincoln, was already at sea and heading for port when President Bush flew out to greet the returning warriors.

Bush wasn't alone in visiting a warship already at sea, either. According to Adm. Pietropaoli, over the years presidents, members of Congress and Cabinet secretaries have all visited Navy ships.

But Democrats, frantic to find any issue at all, to use against President Bush, ignore the facts and the precedent set by fellow Democrat Lyndon Johnson.

SmallTown

Football season!
I haven't heard many dems complaining about the flight itself. Many people I have heard questioned the use of a plane.

I personally thought it was kinda cool, just risky since we have discussed earlier the difficulties of landing a plane on a carrier. Surprised that with so much money and effort we spend on securing and protecting the president, that he would go and do something like that.

But for everyone who enjoyed it, don't worry. You'll see plenty of photos and videos of it during campaign season.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by SmallTown
I haven't heard many dems complaining about the flight itself. Many people I have heard questioned the use of a plane.

But for everyone who enjoyed it, don't worry. You'll see plenty of photos and videos of it during campaign season.
I guess what is so ironic and so moronic about the Dems approach to this is the precedent set by LBJ so many years ago!

Maybe they figure it was less expensive to order a carrier out to sea for a photo op 35 years ago than it is today.(However, as chuckster already mentioned, this carrier was already at sea, and returning to port.)

Or, maybe they forgot - oops! How ignorant. How sad.

Sen Byrd, that's Senility Byrd, couldn't even get his part right: If anyone can remember his comments on the Senate floor, he refered to the presidents' use of a "fighter airplane" to land on the USS Abraham Lincoln. Sorry, the S-3 Viking hasn't been classified as a fighter yet, as far as I know.

Rep Henry Waxmann(Dem-Cal) is launching an investigation into this event, seeking to find out how much taxpayer money was spent; I wonder just how much HIS INVESTIGATION is going to cost those same taxpayers!

No, it's pretty plain the Democraps just cannot stand any good deed or positive gain President Bush achieves. And yes, they are scared to death scenes from the landing and speech the president gave onboard the carrier might find their way into re-election promos.

Terry McCauliff(sp?) has already issued a statement in the last few days that President Bush should promise these same scenes should not be used in campaign promos! Booo Hooo!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
Yes, SmallTown - I can see how you would have preferred Bush to flap his wings to get to the carrier rather than use a plane. Can you imagine how jealous the Dems would be if Bush could fly without benefit of an actual plane?

alex

I don't know what the fuss is all about. Just another polictian playing to crowd. They all do similar things at sometime while in office.

demsformd

I don't know which party whines more when they lose. Right now we are the whiners, which the minority invariably always is. But don't you remember in 1992 and 1996 when all the GOP could do was whine about how if Perot hadn't of run, Clinton would not have been elected? There was some major whining there. And oh, President Clinton did this and President Clinton did that. Blah, blah, blah. We both do it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Excuse me, Dems, but Clinton deserved every bit of criticism that came his way. He should actually be in prison right now but we'll move past that.

When Perot did the ol' upset, I don't remember US Senators and Representatives giving press conferences specifically to denounce him (a la Robert Byrd). Please refresh my memory.

demsformd

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Excuse me, Dems, but Clinton deserved every bit of criticism that came his way. He should actually be in prison right now but we'll move past that.

When Perot did the ol' upset, I don't remember US Senators and Representatives giving press conferences specifically to denounce him (a la Robert Byrd). Please refresh my memory.

vrai, I guess that you didn't watch a single episode of any politcal talkshow for the 8 Clinton years. Every Repuublican that came on there including Republican congressmen and senators said that Clinton was not the "legitamite" president because he didn't get a majority of the popular vote and because if you added Perot's share with the Republican share it was greater than Clinton's share. Whine whine whine is all that you did.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sorry, I don't recall. :lol: I just remember being stunned that anyone at all voted for Perot after his little psych ward demo. I actually was going to vote for him until he started flaking out.