Hey Inkpen

Rael

Supper's Ready
My R.T. Hawk who has been visiting regularly doesn't appear to have developed the ability to hunt for food just yet. I've read that many (even read the majority) get pushed from better territories by other hawks, and that many starve because of it. What do you think?

Feed it?
If so, how? Appears to visit around the same time mid-morning.

Don't feed it?

TIA. :cheers:

Rael

Supper's Ready
My wife put three stew beef chunks on the fence earlier today. About twenty minutes before I came home from work, she saw the hawk flying from the fence to a tree. The pieces were all gone from the fence, and none fell to the ground. I'd say that was around two mice worth of meat :lol: :yay:

I

Inkpen

My wife put three stew beef chunks on the fence earlier today. About twenty minutes before I came home from work, she saw the hawk flying from the fence to a tree. The pieces were all gone from the fence, and none fell to the ground. I'd say that was around two mice worth of meat :lol: :yay:

Good deal!!!!
Guess you are right..he was pushed out...and may not have access to a lot of mice and birds to eat.
Keep me posted!

:yay:

I

Inkpen

Hey...here is that book:
Photographic guide to North American Raptors
ISBN-13: 978-0-691-11644-0
Princeton University Press..

I ordered it from Amazon.com
:howdy:

Rael

Supper's Ready
Good deal!!!!
Guess you are right..he was pushed out...and may not have access to a lot of mice and birds to eat.
Keep me posted!

:yay:

There are plenty of birds in my yard, they're just too quick for this one. They don't seem to even feel very threatened, same with the squirrels.

One squirrel stayed on top of the fence no more than 10 feet away from the hawk this past weekend...should I stay here or should I jump? Stay or jump? Hilarious.

And this bird doesn't seem to have the high-speed sneak approach down just yet. Thanks for the book, as well.

Rael

Supper's Ready
...and another three today.

I'll say "he" was being mobbed by crows this morning, saw him up in the tree acting as though it didn't bother him a bit.

Then I waited with the camera for a half hour or so pointed toward the spot I placed the beef, and he didn't go near it.

Went to run a few errands, came back an hour later, and the food was gone. Elusive bugger. Will try again tomorrow...

Rael

Supper's Ready
A few photos I took this morning (saved as 4 Feb, oops). Wish I had a camera better suited for this, I just have a small digital.

Attachments

• RT1 4 Feb 08 (2).jpg
    RT1 4 Feb 08 (2).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 142
  • RT2 4 Feb 08.jpg
    RT2 4 Feb 08.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 140
  • RT3 4 Feb 08.jpg
    RT3 4 Feb 08.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 149
I

Inkpen

Rael..Looks like a Coopers..its legs are too thin to be a RT...let me check book and reference photos..

Rael

Supper's Ready
I'm beginning to think it is a young red shouldered or a sharp shinned hawk, but what do I know? Each has similar markings, haven't learned how to distinguish between them yet. :shrug:

The one on the left is a red-shouldered hawk,
the one on the right is a sharp shinned hawk, and
the one in the middle is the one in my back yard.

Attachments

• redshoulderedhawk-juv-garden1.jpg
    redshoulderedhawk-juv-garden1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 95
  • RT3 4 Feb 08.jpg
    RT3 4 Feb 08.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 137
  • sharp shinned hawk.jpg
    sharp shinned hawk.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 113