Hey Kentucky!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Get your sh*t together and vote this guy out

How does he manage to keep winning re-election??? That state...WTH?? They have a Democrat Governor and two Republican Senators - Mitch McConnell and...Rand Paul?? Talk about bipolar.....

Hijinx

Get your sh*t together and vote this guy out

How does he manage to keep winning re-election??? That state...WTH?? They have a Democrat Governor and two Republican Senators - Mitch McConnell and...Rand Paul?? Talk about bipolar.....
If they have Mitch McConnel and Rand Paul they only have one republican senator.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd be content for the GOP to strip him of his power. If Gaetz/Boebert/etc really want to be heroes they'll go after McConnell.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I'd be content for the GOP to strip him of his power. If Gaetz/Boebert/etc really want to be heroes they'll go after McConnell.
Mr. Turtle has already announced he will step down as Minority leader after the 2024 election but he still holds the Class II KY Senate seat until 2027 and it seems he will not be running in 2026.

As to Gaetz and Boebert they are in the House, as such they have no say as to members in the Senate.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As to Gaetz and Boebert they are in the House, as such they have no say as to members in the Senate.

Untrue. They have investigative powers and impeachment authority over all government bodies. They can bring charges against anyone they please, build a case in public, rouse the rabble. At some point it would be referred to the Senate for action, but they can start the ball rolling.

It takes a lot of work to oust a sitting Congresstard, which is why they rarely do it, but they can make it tough enough for McConnell that he'll slink away because he no longer has the stamina for a fight and can't risk having his crimes exposed. They can defang him.

Also it would be fun watching the corporate media have to make the decision on who they want to shill for: the people they hate or the person they hate. :jet:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Untrue. They have investigative powers and impeachment authority over all government bodies. They can bring charges against anyone they please, build a case in public, rouse the rabble. At some point it would be referred to the Senate for action, but they can start the ball rolling.
This is untrue as evidenced by the attempt to impeach Senator Blount in 1797. The Senate determined they didn't have jurisdiction as Congress members are not "officers" of the United States. https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artII-S4-2/ALDE_00000689/

Ken King

PREMO Member
What I was responding to is what you actually wrote, "impeachment authority over all government bodies", they do not. The House has no authority to impeach members of the Senate.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What I was responding to is what you actually wrote, "impeachment authority over all government bodies", they do not. The House has no authority to impeach members of the Senate.

Okay, I see what you mean. But I'm going to dispute you and say that a ruling from 1787 probably isn't that relevant today. Is there a more recent incident where one body of Congress has attempted to check a member of the other?

And how are Congress members NOT officers of the US? <-- That's a real question. I don't want to look it up and get immersed in a bunch of blahblah, just tell me in straightforward English.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Okay, I see what you mean. But I'm going to dispute you and say that a ruling from 1787 probably isn't that relevant today. Is there a more recent incident where one body of Congress has attempted to check a member of the other?
Not that I know of. As to a check on a member - that is left to either chamber to deal with its own members.
And how are Congress members NOT officers of the US? <-- That's a real question. I don't want to look it up and get immersed in a bunch of blahblah, just tell me in straightforward English.
Best answer I can give you is that "officers of the US" are appointed and Congress members are elected.