Hey Larry...

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
probably old news to you by now, but your favorite QB (and some unamed vets) reworked their contracts to clear some cap room. Now you can get that Brunell jersey you've had your eye on. :killingme

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes...yes...

kom526 said:
probably old news to you by now, but your favorite QB (and some unamed vets) reworked their contracts to clear some cap room. Now you can get that Brunell jersey you've had your eye on. :killingme

...this is quite the nightmare.

Extremskins.com posts the latest news, up to the second, from this stuff to articles written about the team to live stories in the news, rumors, who went to the bathroom and what came out.

What I want to know and what know one seems to know is what is the penalty for NOT being in compliance with the cap?

If the player agreement, the CBA is extended, it is said that the Skins, who are over by some $20 million, go from a 95 mil to a 110 mil cap, only needing to figure out $5 mil. With no agreement, as it stands right now, they have until 10 pm to cut the $20 large.

That WILL cripple the team. So, wha tif they DON'T? Fines? How much? Lose draft picks? Which ones?

Snyder makes some $150 MILLION more a year than the low end teams and they, the low boys, want some of his booty. The players want some as well in the form of a higher cap. He's happy to pay the players. In exchange for a higher cap, the players want the owners to share the local revenue (which is where Snyder makes the extra bling) in order for the low enders to even have the money to pay higher salaries. This, Dan no wanna do.

So, do th low and middle teams make Snyder and the other 6 or 7 higher earners sleep in the bed, the cap hell, they've created or do the rich kids share, give to get?

And, again, what are the penalties of being over the cap? Why wouldn't Snyder be willining to pay a few million in fines in order to keep his team together and NOT have to share?

smilin

BOXER NATION
Cornfurzed about the salary cap? Wait til you read about it. Don't forget the DGR.
So...what happens if a team goes over the Salary Cap?

Answer: The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap. Note that every contract must go through the NFL League Office before the deal can be made official. Presumably, one of the things the league must do at this time is determine whether or not the contract would violate the NFL's Salary Cap. If the deal does violate the cap, then the NFL will reject it.

There have been instances in which a team has managed to sneak a cap evading contract by the league. Upon further review, the violations were caught by the league and the respective teams were penalized. Penalties include fines and/or forfeiture of draft picks. In recent history both the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers have been penalized draft picks, while the 49ers' front office personnel (Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark) were also fined.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Been there...

The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap.

That's obviously not the case. The Skins and a bunch of other teams are OVER the cap right now.

Note that every contract must go through the NFL League Office before the deal can be made official. Presumably, one of the things the league must do at this time is determine whether or not the contract would violate the NFL's Salary Cap. If the deal does violate the cap, then the NFL will reject it.

Wrong answer. Teams are over the cap.

I have a question in to the commish as we speak asking what actually happens if a team is over, as many are, and do nothing about it.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Ready for more DGR wizardry?
Say, for example, a player wants a seven-year, $60-million contract. Let's say that the owner decides to give that player an $11-million signing bonus, which is all paid out in the first year but gets factored into the cap as prorated over the course of the seven-year contract ($11-million / 7 years = $1.57-million per year). Most NFL contracts are "back-ended" -- most of the base salary is located in the last two or three years of the contract. If we suppose that our player's contract is structured so that he has a base salary of $2-million the first year, with higher base salaries in the final two years of the contract, the $13-million (base salary + signing bonus) paid out in the first year appears as $3.57-million to the cap! The advantage of signing bonuses for the owner is that he now has more money to spend under the cap. This is how the Washington Redskins ran up a total payroll of $92.41-million in the 2000 season when the cap was $67-million. The advantage for the player is that all signing-bonus money is guaranteed to be paid, whereas an NFL contract is not guaranteed

smilin

BOXER NATION
I can't wait to hear the answer - I'm not too sure you can plug this in to your Turbo Tax and get an instant refund.
Seems pretty cut and dried, but NOT in what's left of my mind.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

smilin said:
I can't wait to hear the answer - I'm not too sure you can plug this in to your Turbo Tax and get an instant refund.
Seems pretty cut and dried, but NOT in what's left of my mind.

But you can't hold. People do and there's a penalty. You can't speed. Same thing.

When it says 'you can't'... my reaction is 'what's it gonna cost if I do?"

smilin

BOXER NATION
Larry Gude said:
But you can't hold. People do and there's a penalty. You can't speed. Same thing.

When it says 'you can't'... my reaction is 'what's it gonna cost if I do?"
Too true - I also look at if the penalty isn't toooo bad then maybe....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The WORD...

Larry,

Like every other team in the league, the Redskins have until tonight to get their cap situation worked out. There are no if's and's or but's about it. Your question is: what if they choose not to -- or claim that they cannot? The answer is that the league would have a severe penalty in place (likely a daily fine) until they came into compliance. Believe me, the league monitors everything very closely -- and they are well aware of the Redskins' cap problem and what they must do to come in line.

It is simply a matter of following the rules -- and any blatant attempt to not follow the rules would lead to a severe sanction by the league. We've never had anything like that happen where a team would refuse to come in line with the cap, and I do not expect that we ever would. Now, we have had a couple of situations with the Broncos and, I believe, the 49ers, where they were caught "unwittingly" overextending the cap and both franchises were hit with a fine as well as a forfeiture of key draft picks.

The Commish
Ask The Commish.com
http://www.askthecommish.com

smilin

BOXER NATION
I just heard a partial over the radio - that BIG word " deadlocked". Then someone blaming the players association for the mess. So we may not have to worry about next season.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I go to extremeskins.com too. I especially liked your response to the Sean Taylor lawyer thread. BTW what happened to your siggy "Mark Brunell goes to preschools and tells kids there is no Santa." or something to that effect? :lmao:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

...I changed it for awhile to:

"Does Mark Brunells Social Security count against the cap?"

And then I got bored of that. People were starting to think I had a bias against him being our starter.

Imagine.