hida scan

J

jp2854

has anyone on here had one and if so can you tell me what it was like?

BillNSOMD

Gaul Bladder scan , had couple differnt ones , they shoot you up with stuff causes the Liver to pump bile to the Gaul Bladder then the Gaul Bladder starts working pumps it in to the stomach, they record whole thing while you lay there, when the stuff hit the gaul bladder and it started to work the nausa was the worst I have ever had I thought I was going to blow chunks there under the machine it was over in a few minutes after. The nausa was the same I get so they figured hey your gaul bladder is not working correctly , still waiting to get it out one day maybe it will totally fail and I can get rid if the dam thing. The best one I had done was in Annapolis at the hospital there they were the best it was all done automatically little tubes with IVs one after the other you just lay there listen to music or what ever while it does its thing . Side effects the dye when it hit my heart and pumped all over my body I thought I was on fire that was scarey but it goes away pretty quick just be aware you may have the reaction , and when the drugs that cause the gaul bladder to contract my cause some nausa other then that lay back and enjoy it

BillNSOMD

Here is what the medical experts say about it

A HIDA scan is an imaging test used to examine the gallbladder and the ducts leading into and out of the gallbladder. In this test, also referred to as cholescintigraphy, the patient receives an intravenous injection of a radioactive material called hydroxy iminodiacetic acid (HIDA). The HIDA material is taken up by the liver and excreted into the biliary tract. In a healthy person, HIDA will pass through the bile ducts and into the cystic duct to enter the gallbladder. It will also pass into the common bile duct and enter the small intestine, from which it eventually makes its way out of the body in the stool.

HIDA imaging is done by a nuclear scanner, which takes pictures of the patient's biliary tract over the course of about two hours. The images are then examined by a radiologist, who interprets the results. It is generally a very safe test and is well tolerated by most patients.

Usually, HIDA scans are ordered for patients who are suspected of having an obstruction in the biliary tract, most commonly those who are thought to have a stone blocking the cystic duct leading out of the gallbladder. Such a scenario is consistent with acute cholecystitis, which often requires surgical removal of the gallbladder. In cholecystitis, HIDA will appear in the bile ducts, but it will not enter the cystic duct or the gallbladder -- a finding that indicates obstruction. If the HIDA enters the bile ducts but does not enter the small intestine, then an obstruction of the bile duct (usually due to stones or cancer) is suspected.

J

jp2854

bill thanks for the information. I went through my hida-scan lastnight and when i was done the pain really struck and it hit me almost all night long. I am very tired from missing a lot of sleep due to the pain hopefully by monday they will have this all figured out as the lady told the nurse at my doctors office that it would take them 3 days when the guy in the hospital lastnight told me they would have the results this am. I am so tired of the hospital lying to me its not even funny. First test they said the doctor would have the results in 30min. I called at noon and they still didn't have them so they called over and got them.

Purplefox

I AM an enigma
I had my gallbladder out in Oct of last year. My Doc ordered a HIDA scan, and I blew it off. I figured that I would follow Occam's razor theory. Eventually, the organ had to come out and I already had the sono and CT scan done so why pay extra when the end result would be the same?