High end hotels

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not worth it, in my opinion.

We splurged and got three days at the Hyatt in downtown Lincoln for the Husker homecoming game. The location is terrific, right in the middle of everything Go Big Red, and the hotel is super nice - but not 3x as nice as any other hotel we've stayed at, which is the cost difference. In fact, it's less nice because there's no microwave available for warming up leftovers, nor do they have a 24 hour coffee set up like La Quinta and Days Inn.

Coffee is very important to me, to the point that I bring my own set up for stays of more than one night. I didn't feel like lugging it up to our room this time because I believed that if my $75 LQ or Days Inn hotel had coffee available, certainly the $300 Hyatt would, right?

Yeah, no.

We have a large suite, which is very nice, but LQ and DI have hooked me up, too - a couple of the LQs have set us up in a suite with a separate bedroom. AND you get a microwave in your room. AND they have 24 hour coffee.

My kids treated me to a few days in New Orleans for my 50th bday and we stayed in a super ritzy hotel near the French Quarter. I remember it not being as terrific as the mids and budget hotels, either. Heck, you can go with the Hilton extended stay hotels and have amenities out the yang, PLUS a full kitchen for $100-150.

So that's all. I just question the value of high end hotels and what you're really getting for that big price tag. I understand that the location is premo, but just a short walk up the street is a budget hotel that probably has just as much going for it.

tommyjo

Umm...you stayed at the most location convenient hotel in a major college town (that has nothing else...but the major college) during HOMECOMING weekend...and you are complaining about the price?

According to tripadvisor...the Hyatt Place Lincoln Haymarket is a $107 on a normal night. You paid for location and date...not brand.

Hyatt Place is NOT a premium or luxury brand. Here are the brands in the Hyatt chain...https://hyatthotels.hyatt.com/en/hyatthotels.html

If you are so particular about your coffee why didn't you look at the hotel website? email the hotel? or call the hotel? With all the information available about hotels, it is hardly their fault that you didn't bother to do any research to see if the had the things you wanted.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The pond scum weighs in, having never stayed in a 5-star hotel herself....

TJ..if your oven is out of gas...

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Five star is always worth it....just less money you going to leave to you grandchildren...

...but four star is fun too...

We tend to travel and stay somewhere associated with the Sheraton brand. I have found that the higher the star rating the less "comforts of convenience" are supplied (coffee stands, free water in room, mini-fridges/microwaves so you can bring your own food to your room, continental breakfast service, etc.), however, in its place is an long list of concierge services at your beck and call. Thus, my conclusion has been the assumption is if you are not a traveler concerned with room rates you most likely would rather pay someone else to make and bring your coffee, or your food, or etc.

The more recent trend I've noticed has been that ice machines are no longer available on each floor, but that you can have ice delivered to your room.

The more recent trend I've noticed has been that ice machines are no longer available on each floor, but that you can have ice delivered to your room.

Hadn't noticed that, but not a bad thing. If you have the misfortune of getting a room anywhere near that machine, it's annoying. I don't usually get ice from those machines anyway, getting a stomach bug from them crosses my mind often.

Hadn't noticed that, but not a bad thing. If you have the misfortune of getting a room anywhere near that machine, it's annoying. I don't usually get ice from those machines anyway, getting a stomach bug from them crosses my mind often.
If I'm staying longer than one night I typically bring my own hand cooler and keep water bottles handy and want my water cold so I look for ice for my cooler so that's why I've noticed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We tend to travel and stay somewhere associated with the Sheraton brand. I have found that the higher the star rating the less "comforts of convenience" are supplied (coffee stands, free water in room, mini-fridges/microwaves so you can bring your own food to your room, continental breakfast service, etc.), however, in its place is an long list of concierge services at your beck and call. Thus, my conclusion has been the assumption is if you are not a traveler concerned with room rates you most likely would rather pay someone else to make and bring your coffee, or your food, or etc.

Not everyone lives on travel, so my guess is that high end hotels cater more to those who want to be pampered on vacation. They're going to have just what you said - more concierge services, room service, every day housekeeping, etc, that Monello and I have no interest in. Once a week we'll have housekeeping change our sheets, but at the campground cottages we snubbed that and washed our own. We don't want their soap, or their shampoo, or even their hairdryer. We learned the hard way about eating in restaurants every night and are now trying to get rid of the weight that sort of thing packs on.

I am too impatient to wait for the elevator, no matter what floor I'm on, so you better believe I'm not going to wait for ice. :lol:

Clem72

I think this is the most correct answer, budget hotels compete on price and amenities. High end hotels compete on image and service.

And I would wager that the Hyatt doesn't really count as a high end hotel, just slightly above the budget brands. If you want the high end experience at a reasonable price try a foreign country with a lower median standard of living (like the Philippines). You can stay in a 4 or 5 star hotel for a reasonable rate, and the bill for the services won't break you (and by services I mean personal chef, car+driver, personal shopper, 24x7 access to SPA or in room massage).

Personally, Id rather not pay for the extras and I primarily judge a hotel by the smell and how clean the grout in the shower is. If these things pass muster, the place is likely pretty nice.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And I would wager that the Hyatt doesn't really count as a high end hotel, just slightly above the budget brands.

Mid-rangeish. They're not the perfect example of what I'm talking about, but they still swapped out all day coffee and guest microwaves for name brand toilet paper and upscale furnishings. This Hyatt is just what made me think about what is and isn't important to me in my hotel odyssey.

Mid-rangeish. They're not the perfect example of what I'm talking about, but they still swapped out all day coffee and guest microwaves for name brand toilet paper and upscale furnishings. This Hyatt is just what made me think about what is and isn't important to me in my hotel odyssey.
I agree. I've found that staying at 4 Points by Sheraton tend to match my wants/needs more than the 4 and 5 star Sheratons I've stayed at simply because I'm not one who wants/needs the services available but would rather do for myself. If I'm staying multiple nights I don't have housekeeping changing sheets or making the bed after every night and at most will have them refresh towels as needed. I just want a comfortable, clean, bug free place to stay.

lovinmaryland

90% of the time we stay w/ Embassy Suites. Not only does each suite have 2 rooms but included in the rate is free made to order breakfast which is excellent (omelets, fried eggs, French toast, etc...) and their 2 hour managers reception that has light snacks and free cocktails. I've been able to get rates as low as $69 a night.

We just stayed at the one in Savannah and it was gorgeous.

Attachments

• IMG_9289.jpg
    IMG_9289.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_9383.jpg
    IMG_9383.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_9292 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_9292 - Copy.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_9301 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_9301 - Copy.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_9371.jpg
    IMG_9371.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_9307.jpg
    IMG_9307.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 135

Christy

b*tch rocket
I just question the value of high end hotels and what you're really getting for that big price tag. I understand that the location is premo, but just a short walk up the street is a budget hotel that probably has just as much going for it.

I agree. I've stayed at all types of hotels, and have been pleasantly surprised with LQ. Inexpensive and they have more of the amenities that I prefer. I can't stand not having a fridge or a microwave in my room, and all of the high end hotels lack both.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I am a Hilton snob. The rooms are always comfy, and offer free breakfast and drinks (water definitely, and sometimes free alcoholic beverages), plus free dining at some locations. I also like Homewood Suites, which is a Hilton chain.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Embassy Suites EVERY time they are an option.. just stayed in one in Syracuse.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am a Hilton snob. The rooms are always comfy, and offer free breakfast and drinks (water definitely, and sometimes free alcoholic beverages), plus free dining at some locations. I also like Homewood Suites, which is a Hilton chain.

If we're staying for more than a couple of days, I like Homewood Suites if available. The full kitchen makes me oh so happy. :dance: LQ with a minifridge and microwave is about as bare bones as I like to get.