Higher Fuel Economy Problem

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
California is poised to kill rooftop solar, damaging climate and health

The primary justification for the proposed rule is that, as more homeowners put solar PV on their roofs, fewer will pay grid charges, so the cost of maintaining the grid will be spread over fewer kilowatt-hours of energy passing through the grid, raising bills to non-PV owners. However, if instead of taxing solar, utilities encouraged replacing natural gas with electricity, the cost of air pollution deaths and illness due to natural gas would decrease and demand for electricity among non-PV owners would increase, not decrease.

In fact, the assumption that the number of kilowatt-hours of electricity will stay constant over time in California is faulty, so the basis for taxing solar is faulty. As California transitions to clean, renewable energy as it must under policies including SB100 (California’s 100 percent renewable electricity law) as well as gubernatorial executive orders B-55-18 (carbon neutrality) and N-79-20 (zero vehicle emissions by 2035), it will electrify transportation, heating and industrial processes, creating new demands for electricity, allowing the grid cost to be spread over more kilowatt-hours of electricity.

In fact, a recent study I co-authored for California found that such electrification will double electricity needs in the state and reduce energy costs substantially while creating jobs. As such, even with a huge growth in rooftop PV, the cost of maintaining the grid will be spread over more, rather than fewer, kilowatt-hours than today.

blacklabman

I have solar and what I generate is more than I use. Regardless, I pay a monthly grid fee regardless of what I generate.

blacklabman

What is the solar providing power for?
The system powers my whole house. The days the system generates more than I use is credited with the power company. At night and cloudy days the system draws from that credit. Any surplus at the end of the billing period is forwarded to the next period. At last check I carried over 2,500 kwhs.

glhs837

Power with Control
Now do the gas tax for road maintenance

Well, not relevant to solar panels, but yes, EVs should pay their share of that, if we can ever find an equitable way to calculate that that doesn't infringe on privacy. The least evil compromise I see is an annual or biannual mileage reporting requirement. Bob check in somewhere and the lielage is read from the car, or in the case of a networked car like Tesla, maybe owner could opt for the car to report, or just a visual check.

LightRoasted

If I may ...