Higher level PONY CLUBBERS vs. Certified Instructors??

S

saddlesore

It depends, HorseMomE. ARIA and CHA both are very stingent, so if an instructor is rated Level III or IV in one of those organisations, then I'd say they're more qualified. But if if the instructor is rated only Level I or II, I'd go with the PCer any day. Pony Club is great - very thorough!

Thing is, there are lots of different types of certifications and many different organisations that offer it. I think the best is BHSI (British Horse Society Instructor) or even BSHAI (1 level below master instructor). The BHS is what the American Pony Club is based on. Of course, growing up in Canada, I may be a tad prejudiced ;-P

Also it depends on what level the student is,too and what his/her goals are. But here's how I'd rank them, from best to last. BHSI, CHA or ARIA Levels III & IV, Advanced level Pony Clubbers, then everybody else. The PCers really do get a thorough education in not only riding, but also stable mgmt, nutrition, and horse health.

Of course, this is my opinion only. I am not a certified trainer, nor do I play one on TV. YMMV, natch ;-)

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
saddlesore said:
It depends, HorseMomE. ARIA and CHA both are very stingent, so if an instructor is rated Level III or IV in one of those organisations, then I'd say they're more qualified. But if if the instructor is rated only Level I or II, I'd go with the PCer any day. Pony Club is great - very thorough!

Thing is, there are lots of different types of certifications and many different organisations that offer it. I think the best is BHSI (British Horse Society Instructor) or even BSHAI (1 level below master instructor). The BHS is what the American Pony Club is based on. Of course, growing up in Canada, I may be a tad prejudiced ;-P

Also it depends on what level the student is,too and what his/her goals are. But here's how I'd rank them, from best to last. BHSI, CHA or ARIA Levels III & IV, Advanced level Pony Clubbers, then everybody else. The PCers really do get a thorough education in not only riding, but also stable mgmt, nutrition, and horse health.

Of course, this is my opinion only. I am not a certified trainer, nor do I play one on TV. YMMV, natch ;-)

First welcome to the states.

After looking at the CHA and ARIA website it seems that they are very similar in the horsemanship and safety training that they teach in pony club. Even though pony club is for the youth and geared towards Eventing and Dressage the testing done seems to be just as rigorous. The riding part seems to be even more difficult. The cross country fence heights for the higher levels are C-3 3'3", B 3'7", A 4'3". For Stadium Jumping C-3 3'6", B 3'9", A 4'3". Guess my point is training someone gets as a youth rider can be as tough and what they might test you in during some of these Associations Clinics.

Gone are the days when people assumed the risk when riding and law suits are common place.

fredsaid2

BZHorseMomE said:
First welcome to the states.

After looking at the CHA and ARIA website it seems that they are very similar in the horsemanship and safety training that they teach in pony club. Even though pony club is for the youth and geared towards Eventing and Dressage the testing done seems to be just as rigorous. The riding part seems to be even more difficult. The cross country fence heights for the higher levels are C-3 3'3", B 3'7", A 4'3". For Stadium Jumping C-3 3'6", B 3'9", A 4'3". Guess my point is training someone gets as a youth rider can be as tough and what they might test you in during some of these Associations Clinics.

Gone are the days when people assumed the risk when riding and law suits are common place.

I remember a girl I knew way back when saying for her upper level tests she rode a horse provided to her at the testing location. Riding an unfamiliar horse was part of the test.

I'd think a pony clubber could be an excellent horseperson. It would all depend on how their club was run, the experience of the adults running it. Maybe they'd lack some finesse of the hunseat riders but would probably have a more solid horsemanship foundation. True or not you read frequently how some high ranking jrs lack basic horsemanship skills, all their time is spent perfecting their eq. There are so many variables it's hard to say which training avenue would come out on top.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
When my cousin got her "A" she had to ride another persons horse in several divisions..Long ago but I remember she had to ride a horse she did not know..she was very horse knowledgeable but dont think she had any teaching certificates..

S

saddlesore

All jolly good points in the preceding posts! :yay:

As Paso pointed out, PCers are very good riders, but lack teaching certificates. I know BSHI, CHA & ARIA all test specifically on teaching. But, as BusyHorse & fred also noted, the PCers are knowledgeable about all aspects of horse care, and safety is rigidly stressed. And they do have to ride other people's horses for their rating's tests, which is really good. An "A" rated PCer, if good at *teaching* would be awesome. I'm sure they know quite a bit more than I :blushing:

BZHorseMomE

Guess I'm trying to show examples of getting proper training vs. getting certified. There are so many ways that good trainer get there education. Certification isn't the only standard for a trainer/instructor to be good at what they do. I think it comes down to what each person wants out of there horse or pony experience. Learning good basics of riding, safety, and stable management then go to that type of trainer. Looking to be successful in the WP ring go to that trainer. And so on. You need to do your research and not just take someones word or a Certificate as gospel. Don't you think respect in the horse show world has something to do with it too????

S

saddlesore

BZHorseMomE said:
You need to do your research and not just take someones word or a Certificate as gospel. Don't you think respect in the horse show world has something to do with it too????

Absolutely. I guess I've leaned more towards the certification because I've seen some trainers who teach bad habits, and just aren't very good! But riders who aren't all that educated (in riding) don't know they are being taught some things that are just plain wrong.

But you're right about educating yourself and doing your research. There are some very good trainers out there who aren't certified, or who don't carry insurance, either. Like anything else, we must do our homework ;-P

BZHorseMomE

saddlesore said:
Absolutely. I guess I've leaned more towards the certification because I've seen some trainers who teach bad habits, and just aren't very good! But riders who aren't all that educated (in riding) don't know they are being taught some things that are just plain wrong.

But you're right about educating yourself and doing your research. There are some very good trainers out there who aren't certified, or who don't carry insurance, either. Like anything else, we must do our homework ;-P

Just worries me that the new beginner rider and parent might just think that Certification is the main qualification to get the proper training.

Another question where does all the money for these certification events go?? With it being so expensive and then renewals each year it seems like it could be a pretty go money making business in and of itself?? Should be interesting to see what USHJA comes up with.

fredsaid2

On day we may have a well rounded program to produce the professionals even new parents can feel safe sending their kids too. Until then we have to rely on networking to find the most appropriate people to teach us.

Where does all that certification money go to? I’d guess it’s plowed back into the program to expand it. Maybe part of the problem is them overreaching. They may end up with a better product if they were to stay small with more attention to detail. We’ve heard the FI facility was certified several months ago yet so far it’s not documented on their web site. What’s the use of the certification if the public doesn’t see the results?

N

Not4you

The certification programs are not teaching programs. You go there and test out on everything you know or are supposed to know at that level. Someone with no or limited experience would fail if they just walked in and tried to take the courses, which in some organizations are over a week long at one time, others take months to complete. You do have to ride strange horses, in addition to knowing nutrition, conformation, first aid for horses, saddle fitting, and a bunch of other stuff. You have to know all of this before even going to each testing clinic. NO BULLSH!TTERS allowed. There are other people around so md who have certifications. To find them ask aournd, or the lady who runs the tack store in CAllaway. Why is everybody still speculating, just ask somebody.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
MY point is I have seen trainers that really know their stuff...but they can not teach..cant get their point accross but great trainers (on the horse) I feel people need that touch on how to get their point accross.

fredsaid2

Not4you said:
There are other people around so md who have certifications. To find them ask aournd, or the lady who runs the tack store in CAllaway. Why is everybody still speculating, just ask somebody.

When you search the websites you come up w/ very few and most of those at a low level. If they're not listed on their program's website are you supposed to just take their word for it?

N

Not4you

fredsaid2 said:
When you search the websites you come up w/ very few and most of those at a low level. If they're not listed on their program's website are you supposed to just take their word for it?
I wouldn't take anybody's word for anything if Ididn't know them. All I can say if find someone who is certified and ask them how they got it, or just keep looking for a good teacher, cert or not. Good luck.

changeling

Pasofever said:
MY point is I have seen trainers that really know their stuff...but they can not teach..cant get their point accross but great trainers (on the horse) I feel people need that touch on how to get their point accross.

I agree completely. I myself am a CHA level 4 instructor and have been to 2 certification clinics. At each of these there have been some great riders/trainers who were winning around the state but due to their inability to teach what they knew they were either not certified at all or only obtained level 1. No one is saying they aren't great riders, they are. Unfortunately, they weren't able to share what they knew in a lesson environment.

Winn Dixie

Song of the South
changeling said:
I agree completely. I myself am a CHA level 4 instructor and have been to 2 certification clinics. At each of these there have been some great riders/trainers who were winning around the state but due to their inability to teach what they knew they were either not certified at all or only obtained level 1. No one is saying they aren't great riders, they are. Unfortunately, they weren't able to share what they knew in a lesson environment.

Wow, apparently the truth leaves you all speechless. :lmao: Well done Paso and Changeling. :yay: