Hiking Trail

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
:lol: One of my friends sent this to me a few months ago. Speculation put the trail in the Dolomites (Italy).

But a little searching found the correct answer: it's the Caminito del Rey, Spain.
(English: The King's little pathway) is a walkway or via ferrata, now fallen into disrepair, pinned along the steep walls of a narrow gorge in El Chorro, near Álora in Málaga, Spain. The name is often shortened to Camino del Rey.
(The second photo on the page matches the scene at 1:24 in the video perfectly.) That anyone would attempt - nonetheless complete - building the trail is amazing, especially considering it was the early 1900s and they must have lacked advanced equipment.

Here's another good one: Mount Huashan, China. Not quite as frightening and in much better condition, but still stunning.

Homer J

Power Chord
:lol: One of my friends sent this to me a few months ago. Speculation put the trail in the Dolomites (Italy).

But a little searching found the correct answer: it's the Caminito del Rey, Spain.(The second photo on the page matches the scene at 1:24 in the video perfectly.) That anyone would attempt - nonetheless complete - building the trail is amazing, especially considering it was the early 1900s and they must have lacked advanced equipment.

Here's another good one: Mount Huashan, China. Not quite as frightening and in much better condition, but still stunning.

Good info. Thanks.

hvp05

Good info. Thanks.
So now that we know the location... when will the forum trip be scheduled? :cool:

Here's a funny thing to notice: odd blob in the sky, screen right, at 5:30. Probably a poorly exposed part of a tree or something, but it looks strange when seen quickly.

hvp05

I wonder how many people have fallen?
The Wiki page says:
Several people have lost their lives on the walkway in recent years; after four people died in two accidents in 1999 and 2000, the local government closed the entrances. However, many adventurous tourists still find their way onto the walkway to explore it.
So it was in bad shape, several people died, so they closed it, which in turn led to more neglect and decay. I guess it reached a sort of cult following for the very fact that it is/was so extremely dangerous. Just after the above bit, Wiki says the local gov't. was supposed to upgrade the trail a couple years ago, but there is no indication as to how that progressed or if it was even started.