Historic Easton house move

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Near where my sister lives on the Eastern Shore and we went by it a couple of weeks ago before it started its journey. I've been following its slow process moving across land, then it will be loaded on a barge to travel by water to Queenstown.

Roads will be closing to accommodate moving the historic Galloway Mansion (circa 1764) from its current location on Chapel Road to a barge for transport to the Queenstown area. Moving the six-bedroom brick home should be no easy task. The historic interior features extensive raised paneling, 6-panel doors. 3-story staircase, and 11ft ceilings.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
You forgot the front porch....
And what brick building is that in the background please?
It sorta looks familiar...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You forgot the front porch....
And what brick building is that in the background please?
It sorta looks familiar...

That's the "new" Glenwood MD post office. The old post office was in that general store we moved. Up in Howard County, on Rt. 97.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I moved a large historic building back in 1981...a two-story general store. But it was wood construction...I'd hate to think how much more difficult moving a brick building would be.
Cool story, bro. :smoochy: :lol: Yes, the sheer size and weight of that brick house has to be daunting, but the company doing the move is well experienced with big jobs. http://www.experthousemovers.com/index.html

If you go to https://eastonhousemove.com/ and click on gallery, you can see their progress and some of the obstacles so far, including power lines, traffic lights, and curbs, plus shutting down traffic on Rt. 50 so it can cross. Tomorrow night will be the last day of land travel in Talbot County, where it will have its final move to the dock. After that, it will be loaded on a barge and floated to Queenstown.

I love stuff like this. Great seeing old buildings preserved and appreciated for their history. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Galloway Mansion Move from the Air

If a picture is worth a thousand words then aerial photographer Hunter Harris has succeeded in capturing the mammoth undertaking of moving the historical Galloway Mansion last week to Queenstown from its original location in Talbot County.

Owner Christian Neeley engineered the remarkable undertaking of moving this 250 year old house by barge 5o miles to its new home in Queen Anne’s County.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

The same group, Expert House Movers of Maryland, that is moving the Easton house moved that lighthouse.

In 1999 EHM relocated the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse for the National Park Service. The 208′ tall, solid masonry structure weighed 5,000 tons, and was rolled 2,980 feet back from the eroding bluffs. The Hatteras Lighthouse is the tallest lighthouse in North America, and the project was deemed the “move of the Century” by the International Association of Structural Movers. In 2000, EHM received the OPAL award from the Society of Civil Engineers for the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse project.

Amazing engineering feats. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
She's going up the river! Thanks @Gilligan !

Edit: This is the blurb that goes with the video:

Chopper 16 flies over the Tred Avon River for a bird's-eye view of the historic Galloway Mansion, which is being transported on a barge from Easton, Maryland to Queenstown, Maryland. The house left Easton at around 12:20 p.m. and is expected approximately nine hours to get to its final destination.

Last edited:
It made the DC news last night, and had a quick tour of the inside while it was still on blocks.