Hmmmm.....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just saw a meme that said you can plug any 3 digit number followed by "new cases" into a Google search, and stories will come up to that effect.

So I tried it....and it's true.

Go to Google and search for "324 new cases".

When you get those search results, change the 324 to something else. Then change it again.

No matter what 3 digits you enter, a bunch of entries for new COVID cases of that number comes up.

I never feel bad when SOME of you say I'm crazy. Yeah, I'm fine, dude. Pretty sure it's you.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Doctors Recommend Locking Down And Reopening Repeatedly Until Everyone Has Nervous Breakdown

Doctors defended the "lockdown-reopen infinite loop" strategy, citing the fact that not everyone listens to absolutely every word they say without question. "We are tired of being questioned," said Dr. Whiltern of Newbury Medical Authority. "Also, watching everybody go nuts is going to be a blast."

Most physicians think that the initial stages of mental breakdown have already begun. "People have been losing it quite a bit, sure. Looting, canceling Aunt Jemima, tearing down statues of legit American icons, trying to abolish cops... but this is just the beginning. We can do better. We will do better."

Chris0nllyn

What is this supposed to represent?

Is it possible that throughout the months and months of constant new coverage of daily totals from every country, state, county, town, etc that number will pop up?

Doing this exercise does warrant results based on the number, but you're also getting hundreds of millions of search results (depending on the search obviously). You're searching the entire internet for that number of new cases. You could get a news report from some Indonesian city daily COVID increases from 2 months ago, or you could get that number from a county in Iowa reporting number of cases in the past month.

News coverage has been consistent for about 120 days to make it easy.
How many sources are there in the world? TV, news, blogs, social media, etc. How many languages? All of these would pop up in searches so we have to account for them. We can't quantify them, but 10,000 is probably a low, but easy, number. 10,000 sources being searched.
10,000 new case reports per day, for 120 days. That's 1,200,000 new cases stories (we know that using the method in the OP yielded over 1 billion results, but we'll assume this for the sake of discussion). There are 900 unique 3-digit numbers.
1,200,000/900=1,333. This means the number "###" (insert any number here) appears in those reports over 1,300 times.

As of now, there are over 10,000,000 confirmed cases in the world. That number got there, incrementally, over 120+ days and reported daily. If we use the same common sense we did when comparing Flu numbers to 'Rona numbers, it would seem pretty likely that you'd see that number of news cases pop up when you search the entire globe. And that this is not a global conspiracy.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
... You either need a drink or you need to stop drinking...

He really shouldn't be drinking with his "prescription" 😉

Chris0nllyn

Did I trigger you, little Hissy? Are you all coded and dog whistled now?

:poorbaby:

You went off on this crazy ass rant and all I did was post something I thought was interesting without commentary. You either need a drink or you need to stop drinking, I can't decide which.

All I asked was what this was supposed to represent. I'm certainly not "triggered" and wouldn't classify that as a "rant", but you also started this thread so it's not surprising you are seeing something that's not there.

Chris0nllyn

Followed by a blowhole of spew.

Vrai: "You idiots aren't using math and stats and such. Flu is worse than 'rona! The math says so! I keep it real."

Roughly 27,000 Chinese people die each and every day - this statistic comes from the maffs of 10 million deaths per year. Am I to believe that 2000 deaths over a few months causes a mass panic? Or is even noticed?
2.4 MILLION people die in the US every year.

That comes out to around 6,575 people every day.

Let me repeat that:

An average of 6,575 people die in the US every day.

I just like to occasionally throw out actual statistics and keep this chit real.

Edited :razz:
Can someone explain this to me? The whole world is in such a hysterical tizzy that certainly it must be just me who isn't excited about this. Is 2000 deaths across the whole entire world population of 8 billion people really that catastrophic?

I honestly believe that this is manufactured hysteria designed to control us with fear. Someone talk me out of that and get me all ramped up about 2000 deaths globally. Explain to me why such a statistically insignificant number is cause for panic. Make me freak out.
...So far 10,000+- people have died of the ordinary flu in 2020, and 100,000+- have been hospitalized with it. And that is on par with previous years. Some 21 MILLION people each year get the flu.

How many people in the US have died of coronavirus, or been hospitalized with it? Or are even sick with it?

I'm not sure how you people can cling to your hysteria in the face of facts and data. Your masters are lying to you, and you lap up their lies and beg for more. I don't understand why you want to live like that...

So is using "maffs" wrong in this case, or only when you want to?

I don't think you're crazy, I don't think you hold yourself to this mythical standard you try to hold everyone else to.

Chris0nllyn

I think I named hissy with pinpoint accuracy.

What an accomplishment.

You, someone presumably in their, what, late-50s or 60's took time away from your posts that typically resemble something out of an insane asylum, made up a name for an anonymous forum poster, and a handful of other people in the same age group use that name because none of you are able to disagree. Then had to make sure the forum knows you came up with it.

That's really something. Life-changing stuff. :dork:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So is using "maffs" wrong in this case, or only when you want to?

What the hell are you even talking about? It doesn't take math to choose three digits at random. Toddlers can do that, why are you having such a hard time? Do you need me to get you a 2 year old to help?

Math. :lmao:

BernieP

Resident PIA
There are 900 unique 3-digit numbers. 999 to be exact
Based on reporting, which is becoming highly inaccurate, there are days when some areas have reported a decrease (revised downward).
Some of the tests, or the labs processing them, have turned out to be unreliable.
The number of positive cases is higher than the flu, but there is a vaccine for the flu.
The rate of death is about the same when you factor in positive tests that did not report symptoms.
If the media covered the flu, like they are covering COVID-19, it would have people going crazy as well.
So pardon the cynics, between reported bad counts and media over reaction and bias, a lot of people have had it up to their eyeballs.

MSally

I just saw a meme that said you can plug any 3 digit number followed by "new cases" into a Google search, and stories will come up to that effect.

So I tried it....and it's true.

Go to Google and search for "324 new cases".

When you get those search results, change the 324 to something else. Then change it again.

No matter what 3 digits you enter, a bunch of entries for new COVID cases of that number comes up.

I never feel bad when SOME of you say I'm crazy. Yeah, I'm fine, dude. Pretty sure it's you.
It’s an algorithm that takes you to the most popular results for that phrase. The numbers don’t matter. It is a tool for the clickbait companies
Memes are not a great source of information

Chris0nllyn

What the hell are you even talking about? It doesn't take math to choose three digits at random. Toddlers can do that, why are you having such a hard time? Do you need me to get you a 2 year old to help?

Math. :lmao:

No, it doesn't.

But had you paid attention to my post, you'd see the division. I believe that is math.

Based on reporting, which is becoming highly inaccurate, there are days when some areas have reported a decrease (revised downward).
Some of the tests, or the labs processing them, have turned out to be unreliable.
The number of positive cases is higher than the flu, but there is a vaccine for the flu.
The rate of death is about the same when you factor in positive tests that did not report symptoms.
If the media covered the flu, like they are covering COVID-19, it would have people going crazy as well.
So pardon the cynics, between reported bad counts and media over reaction and bias, a lot of people have had it up to their eyeballs.

999 would be correct if we wanted numbers with leading zeros. We don't, as that would essentially be a two digit number. So, 9 possible values for first number, then 10 for the other 2. (9)(10)(10)=900 possible 3 digit number without leading zeros.

I agree with what you're saying though. I thought from day one the regulations/restrictions put in place did not effectively balance freedom and risk. It jeopardized out economy for what, IMO, will amount to be the death rate of the common cold.