Hock Injections

fuglyhorse

Has anyone here ever had hock injections done on their horse? What vet did you use? About how much did you end up paying?

I have a horse who I think might need injections but I want to use a vet who has a lot of experience in this area since it is pretty invasive

bosox

dr mende

of wolfcreek equine.

She does a lot of them and is very good. She is in Lothian, MD. You'll need to google her practice for contact information.

Robin

Dr Tacia

Tidewater Vet 5-6? years ago prices have changed since I have had it done. At the time Legends shots, 85.00 per injection site plus farm call I had 2 areas in each hock. but this was after evaluation and xrays so around $600.00 total.

covekat

I have done a few... well not personally, but with jumpers and racehorses we've done our share... I would recomend Linda Molesworth... she has track experience, and has done a fantastic job for us!

TMCash

Has anyone here ever had hock injections done on their horse? What vet did you use? About how much did you end up paying?

I have a horse who I think might need injections but I want to use a vet who has a lot of experience in this area since it is pretty invasive

I get my horses hocks injected atleast once a year. I wouldnt suggest using anyone around here besides Linda Molworth. The vet I use is in Lexington VA. Dr Harrison, does a pretty good job too. He is near Charles Town WV, which isnt quite as far as Lexington. Hes not as expensive either. They use hyaluronic acid, an Antibiotic, and Corticosteroid.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I get my horses hocks injected atleast once a year. I wouldnt suggest using anyone around here besides Linda Molworth. The vet I use is in Lexington VA. Dr Harrison, does a pretty good job too. He is near Charles Town WV, which isnt quite as far as Lexington. Hes not as expensive either. They use hyaluronic acid, an Antibiotic, and Corticosteroid.

I sent you green to get you out of red. Someone on the board has their panties in a twist over Linda. (Last name is Molesworth.)

I can personally suggest Linda and Dr. Mende, but because injections can be expensive I'd suggest checking other avenues of treatment first. Good luck!

Fresh Meadows - Bay Equine Service (Linda Molesworth) is 410.535.9700.

Wolf Creek - Dr. Susan Mende is 410.741.1473.

Last edited:

TMCash

I sent you green to get you out of red. Someone on the board has their panties in a twist over Linda. (Last name is Molesworth.)

I can personally suggest Linda and Dr. Mende, but because injections can be expensive I'd suggest checking other avenues of treatment first. Good luck!

Not quite sure what you mean?? I said I SUGGESTED Linda.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Not quite sure what you mean?? I said I SUGGESTED Linda.

I know you did. You're new to the board so I'll give you a quick run down. If you see under your username are some green squares, that's "karma". People can send red or green karma and as your points go up or down you appear green or red to the people on the board. It's not really a big deal, but some people are quite touchy about karma.

For whatever reason whenever Dr. Molesworth is mentioned people get red karma. You suggested Linda and someone sent you red. If you look in your User CP you'll see. I sent you green karma and signed it, but you'll have at least one red karma most likely unsigned.

Then, I seconded your suggestion of Dr. Molesworth as well as someone else's suggestion of Dr. Mende and then I corrected your spelling of Molesworth incase someone needed or wanted to look her up.

TMCash

I know you did. You're new to the board so I'll give you a quick run down. If you see under your username are some green squares, that's "karma". People can send red or green karma and as your points go up or down you appear green or red to the people on the board. It's not really a big deal, but some people are quite touchy about karma.

For whatever reason whenever Dr. Molesworth is mentioned people get red karma. You suggested Linda and someone sent you red. If you look in your User CP you'll see. I sent you green karma and signed it, but you'll have at least one red karma most likely unsigned.

Then, I seconded your suggestion of Dr. Molesworth as well as someone else's suggestion of Dr. Mende and then I corrected your spelling of Molesworth incase someone needed or wanted to look her up.

Oh goodness, thank you! Yes I am new here and had NO idea haha. And thank you for the correction, I just had a typo.

Robin

I spoke with Dr. Stott and he said his x-rays are around $125 per film and that he needs to take about 4 films per hock :faint:

Does anyone know if thats the "going" rate for digital x-rays in this area?

That sounds about right. Its like a camera that hooks into a camera and they are able to view the xrays right away. Much better than the older type of xrays.
One mare I had on feed through joint supplement, arthritis in both hocks although the feed through Cosequin helped there was still stiffness, clicking and popping after 6 months of using it. By time we had the injections there was a tremendous improvement almost immediately. So The injections we more effective for her and the first series lasted 18 months.

One of our horses we took to Lovettsville Virginia. Dr Spurlock. How old is your horse? What have you noticed that you are considering injections?

covekat

Linda Molesworth also has a digital xray machine...I'll have to look on my bill to see what she charges. The big difference in the digital is that they show much more detail, and the vet can pinpoint an area and blow it up for a better view.

As far as injecting hocks, there are different grades of acid that a vet can use..we usually go for an acid/depo mix...for the "high test" you will pay a little more, but it will last longer.

Also, I have had good results in using Surpass on arthritic hocks...

I'm sure by posting Lindas name again, I will get red, but I can assure whoever is giving it to me that I've had more experience in dealing with horses in general and knowing who is a good vet and who is not than you could ever hope to have.

Last edited:

mistymoofwf

live to ride

why do ppl have a problem with Linda Molesworth?

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
why do ppl have a problem with Linda Molesworth?

To each their own,, I don't understand why someone would leave red just because they prefer one vet over another. I like Stott, he's been great for me. Not a fan of Molesworth but that is just for personal reasons. I figure if your vet does well by you then by all means stick with them... It's all just personal preference.:dance:

barncat

I used Dr. Scott Anderson at Woodside for my horse's injections. I had to trailer to him in Ashland, VA but I was very satisfied with the services. I had the injections done in 2002 and it cost $400 then, I have no idea how much they cost now.