Hogan requesting more H-2B visa for crab pickers

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...wants-more-visas-for-foreign-workers/2202534/

Dorchester County has over 8,000 Food Stamp recipients....why do they need Mexicans to pick crabs?

Maryland's Republican governor on Tuesday urged federal officials to allow more H-2B visas for foreign workers to help the state's $355 million seafood industry and seasonal employers.

Gov. Larry Hogan made the request in a letter to Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf and Labor Secretary Eugene Scalia. Hogan also called for a long-term solution.

“These workers are vital to rural Maryland and in particular our Eastern Shore,” Hogan wrote. “In addition to lifting the cap, I ask that you partner with Congress and Maryland's congressional delegation to finally find a long-term solution to this issue.”

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Apparently the local natives must wash their hands too often and we dont' have enough food-born illness in MD.

GregV814

I understand the Chinese are exporting fatal virus’ to us!! Maybe,.....I mean it’s only fair, right? Right?

Blister

I agree, we don't need migrant workers. Pay the crab pickers a living wage, and benefits, then let the free market set the price of crab meat.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
This says it all;
Dorchester County has over 8,000 Food Stamp recipients....why do they need Mexicans to pick crabs?
Don't want to lose those bennies.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I agree, we don't need migrant workers. Pay the crab pickers a living wage, and benefits, then let the free market set the price of crab meat.

Apparently, they do need migrant workers. If they didn't, they sure as heck wouldn't be going through the hassle of getting H-2B visas.

This says it all;

Don't want to lose those bennies.
Crab picking is seasonal, but the amount of income a local would make picking would completely screw up any benefits and income for the rest of the year. They'd loose money by picking.

Crab picking is seasonal. What are they going to do for the rest of the year? Who's going to pay them a living wage to do nothing thru the winter?

How about shucking oysters..........
A possibility, but isn't that already being done by locals? Just so many jobs to go around.

I'm not promoting the import of immigrants, and would absolutely rather see locals doing the job. The reality is unless there are changes, this is what we have to work with.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Apparently, they do need migrant workers. If they didn't, they sure as heck wouldn't be going through the hassle of getting H-2B visas.
Sure they would. As long as it costs less to do business that way instead of paying more than someone else down the road for the people. It just happened down in Mississippi, ICE raided the chicken plants, the plants decided to pay more to people who were allowed to work

black dog

Free America

Its not that big of a deal... The food and landscaping folks hwve been doing it for decades.

black dog

Free America
Yes. I was aware of that. Point being is that employers wouldn't go through this process if workers were available domestically.

As someone who spent almost 10 years working in irrigation and the landscaping industries, you are wrong.
If we didnt have migrant workers, wages would go up until the vacancies are full.
People will move for work when needed...
Just like the huge migration north with the auto industry.

WingsOfGold

Greetings:

Ah yes. More bigotry from the king of all crap bags here.
How or why is it bigotry when one wants native born parasites to do the work imported workers want?? I OFTEN frequented Skipjacks Seafood on Old Ocean City Rd in Salisbury. Yes, it really did piss me off when local parasites were buying raw foods their EBT Independence (HAHAHA Independence) cards allowed them to "buy" such luxuries as crabs, oysters, lobsters ect...
Being pissed and looking down my nose at these parasites does that make me a bigot or one that worked all his life and didn't indulge in these things on someone else's dime?