Hogan vetos bill pushed by Teachers Uniions.....

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
A little story, and it's not really related to this thread exactly.

Four years ago I attended the Maryland Municipal League conference in Ocean City (in fact I'm leaving for it in a few minutes). The Governor or Lt. Governor always attends. Well that year he sent the then Lt. Gov. Anthony Brown who was running for Governor.

Keep in mind that there are a couple thousand local elected officials there. Brown got up to speak (well, he's not a good speaker, or campaigner, and I have my own issues with him in any event) and made some jokes about Larry Hogan. The assembled multitudes roared and fell over themselves to shake his hand.
I remember it well......

Teacher’s union gives Brown his biggest endorsement for governor

http://marylandreporter.com/2013/10...e-brown-his-biggest-endorsement-for-governor/

Let’s see what happens this year........methinks they will be kissing Bakers ass.......

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Keep in mind that there are a couple thousand local elected officials there. Brown got up to speak (well, he's not a good speaker, or campaigner, and I have my own issues with him in any event) and made some jokes about Larry Hogan. The assembled multitudes roared and fell over themselves to shake his hand.

Well, come the next year and Hogan had won. He couldn't attend because of his cancer treatment so Lt. Gov. Rutherford filled in. Every mention of Hogan caused a standing ovation. Keep in mind that, with a few exceptions, these were the same people who a year before had laughed at the mere mention or thought of Hogan becoming Governor. People were falling over themselves to shake Rutherford's hand and to praise Hogan.

Interesting ..very interesting observation.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
They picked the wrong horse.....
.....but actually they’re all the wrong horses.

None of them are going beat Hogan....

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
They picked the wrong horse.....
.....but actually they’re all the wrong horses.

None of them are going beat Hogan....

As much as I hate to say it, Hogan isn't a lock. He's already being blamed for the Ellicott City floods as well as Trump's decision to pull out of the Paris Accords, not to mention the fact that Baltimore City Schools can't keep their buildings heated in the winter (that's Jealous) as well as not funding schools enough generally (Baker and the rest of the field) . The stupid among us will believe all that and more.

Hogan currently has a 71% approval rating across the state with potential voters from both parties giving him above 50%. So far so good, right?

Well no, since only 48% of potential voters will vote for his reelection.

Ehrlich's numbers 12 years ago weren't quite so high (61% approval) but his vote to reelect was the same. He lost to O'Malley for a second term.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
As much as I hate to say it, Hogan isn't a lock. He's already being blamed for the Ellicott City floods as well as Trump's decision to pull out of the Paris Accords, not to mention the fact that Baltimore City Schools can't keep their buildings heated in the winter (that's Jealous) as well as not funding schools enough generally (Baker and the rest of the field) . The stupid among us will believe all that and more.

Hogan currently has a 71% approval rating across the state with potential voters from both parties giving him above 50%. So far so good, right?

Well no, since only 48% of potential voters will vote for his reelection.

Ehrlich's numbers 12 years ago weren't quite so high (61% approval) but his vote to reelect was the same. He lost to O'Malley for a second term.

With the overwhelming registration advantage the Dems are going to tell some whopping lies to tie Hogan to their own failures.
Hogan doesn't run the schools in Baltimore and if the waste, fraud and abuse was nominal, the funding for the schools would be 10 times adequet

The development and storm water management were in place before Hogan took office, the problem is the freak rain, Not once, but twice.
What I've been told is that Ellicott City sits at the bottom of a hill where three stream converge.
The storm water system was inadequate before development up hill and was not upgraded. The diameter of the pipes carrying water away is about one half of what is required to handle heavy rain.

But that's more than the average voter can understand.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

No, you'll just have to trust me when I tell you dumb has no political party. I used to say years ago that we had a Republican Commissioner over here that was the dumbest we would ever elect from either party.

I was wrong. There are two now who are dumber.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

No, you'll just have to trust me when I tell you dumb has no political party. I used to say years ago that we had a Republican Commissioner over here that was the dumbest we would ever elect from either party. I was wrong. There are two now who are dumber.

Well pray tell your thoughts on the current crop of republican candidates in Calvert. Twelve of them in total running, I think. Who, incumbent wise, should go. Who challenging should take their place. Please comment on the Dems side as well.
I haven't seen anything from the teachers union there. Or much of anything to merit who should get the votes.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may ...

Well pray tell your thoughts on the current crop of republican candidates in Calvert. Twelve of them in total running, I think. Who, incumbent wise, should go. Who challenging should take their place. Please comment on the Dems side as well.
I haven't seen anything from the teachers union there. Or much of anything to merit who should get the votes.

Don't have time to run through them now, have to get to a meeting, but will later if you like.

I think all the incumbents will have a tough time in the general election, if they get through the primary, because of the increase in property taxes above the Constant Yield Rate (which is set up so that office holders can deny they raised taxes even when they go up due to rising assessments) and the increase in the Piggyback Tax. The property tax rate was rolled back a bit this year.

For the Democrats it will be name recognition, if any, for the primary. I know a couple of them fairly well but how many other people know them is questionable. Susan Hance-Wells is probably the best known and most likely to be nominated. Keep in mind that Calvert has been targeted by the state Democratic Central Committee for getting at least a couple Democrats back on the Board so they'll be dumping money into it down here.

I think Hejl is the incumbent most in danger in the primary for a number of reasons, mostly because he has some serious competition in Buddy Hance. Weems not so much (I was surprised he ran again since the last time I talked to him he indicated he was tired of it). Unfortunately Hart doesn't have much competition in the primary. His opponent, Dides, ran as a Democrat four years ago and was disowned by the Party.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may ...

That would be fabulous and appreciated.

Ok, here it goes. None of this is meant to be an endorsement for anyone but just how I see it. Keep in mind this is for the primary.

Republicans
District 1:
Mike Hart will win over Dides, who ran as a Democrat four years ago and was ignored by the Democratic Central Committee due to some personal issues. That was the race Joyce Bakke was supposed to run in and didn't.

District 2:
Dave Gatton or Tim Hutchins will win this one. This is Gatton's second try and Hutchins is well known in the County and has a deep well of experience (which can sometimes be a detriment). The only blip I see for him is that he was a Delegate from Charles County, not Calvert. I've known him for years (as in almost 30) and never knew until recently he was from Calvert

District 3:
Kelley McConkey is unopposed for the nomination.

At Large:
This is the difficult one to predict.
I think Tom Hejl is in trouble for the tax increase and the Armory Square rezoning debacle. He's been the point man for that and been hammered.

Steve Weems should be renominated but, again, I have the feeling that this year may not be good for Calvert incumbents.

I can see Buddy Hance being put in in place of one of them, again, likely Hejl.

Democrats
District 1:
Ted Haynie will win this one. Probably, he's been very active in the community.

District 2:
Susie Hance-Wells is running unopposed for the nomination.

District 3:
Holly Budd is running unopposed.

At Large:
Like the Republicans this one is interesting.
Matt Bennett is 19, that will hurt him.

Greg Brown was Bennett's campaign manager until he decided to run. Smart guy, committed, but his lifestyle will probably hurt him. Maybe not in the primary but in the General Election. This is Calvert County after all.

Joe Johnson should have run several years ago when he had some momentum coming off almost beating Gerald Donovan for Mayor of Chesapeake Beach.

I'd call Bennett and Brown on this one. But don't hold me to that.

The General will be interesting. The Ranch Estates is going to go after Hart hard and also, if he's renominated, Hejl.

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
Greg Brown was Bennett's campaign manager until he decided to run. Smart guy, committed, but his lifestyle will probably hurt him. Maybe not in the primary but in the General Election. This is Calvert County after all.

I'm sensing this is code for something.