Hollywood elite College Cheating Scam

Hollywood actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin and a slew of chief executives are among 50 wealthy people charged in the largest college cheating scam ever prosecuted by the U.S. Department of Justice, federal officials said Tuesday.

Those indicted in the investigation, dubbed "Varsity Blues," allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said.

Saw that on the news just now. The "organizer" netted over $25 million in bribes. Pleaded guilty,, up to 65 years in jail, $1.2 million in fines.

Sad part is, that for everyone of these privileged kids that got in on the sly, a real, talented student was rejected from admissions.

TCROW

Whatever happened to getting admitted to top-tier schools the old fashioned way: heritage admissions and a nice stream of tax-deductible donations?

Hijinx

I don't quite understand. You mean no one from the University's knew this and they didn't get any of this money?
I have a hard time believing this went on and they knew nothing.

PeoplesElbow

I don't quite understand. You mean no one from the University's knew this and they didn't get any of this money?
I have a hard time believing this went on and they knew nothing.

That may be why they got caught, the school is not going to accept a middle man in the money stream.

Reactions: BOP

Hessian

Saw that on the news just now. The "organizer" netted over $25 million in bribes. Pleaded guilty,, up to 65 years in jail, $1.2 million in fines.

Sad part is, that for everyone of these privileged kids that got in on the sly, a real, talented student was rejected from admissions.
You know...a little WWW homework might reveal these Hollyweird elites making public statements about "Egalitarianism,...Social Justice...Helping the neediest of our society"...this would be marvelous. While preventing another student (needy? minority?) from advancing in an Ivy League college...they pushed their way to the front of the line. A GREAT image for the iconic LEFT.

transporter

Hollywood actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin and a slew of chief executives are among 50 wealthy people charged in the largest college cheating scam ever prosecuted by the U.S. Department of Justice, federal officials said Tuesday.

Those indicted in the investigation, dubbed "Varsity Blues," allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said.

Is this a test or something? The link in your post is from 2011.

Here is the affidavit with the list of names...hardly confined to "hollywood elite".

transporter

Actually the sad part is those on here who are whining about the injustice and entitlement of the "hollywood elite"...are the same folks that dismiss, rationalize or stand up for a man who created his own "university", named it after himself and bilked every student. But because this "nice man" (as spitbubble called him yesterday) who "gave us a tax break" became President and has an R after his name...well it's ok for him to scam folks!!!

PeoplesElbow

Actually the sad part is those on here who are whining about the injustice and entitlement of the "hollywood elite"...are the same folks that dismiss, rationalize or stand up for a man who created his own "university", named it after himself and bilked every student. But because this "nice man" (as spitbubble called him yesterday) who "gave us a tax break" became President and has an R after his name...well it's ok for him to scam folks!!!
I hadn't heard of Trump University until 2016 and thought "did anyone seriously believe this to be a real college?" The whole idea is laughable, but alas people fell for the ITT Tech and DeVry spiel, but atleast they didn't sound ridiculous.

This_person

Not sure why you'd pay to go to those private, expensive schools.

Average day there:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't really understand this story. If the kid is worth a chit, some brand name college will take them. I can only determine that Ms. Huffman and Ms. Loughlin's spawn are problematic in some way, but even then Huffman's kid at least would be taken based on her husband's star power.

Maybe it's just a case of "celebrities are stupid". They get taken in by con men and religious cults all the time.

I don't really understand this story. If the kid is worth a chit, some brand name college will take them. I can only determine that Ms. Huffman and Ms. Loughlin's spawn are problematic in some way, but even then Huffman's kid at least would be taken based on her husband's star power.

Maybe it's just a case of "celebrities are stupid". They get taken in by con men and religious cults all the time.
From what I've gathered, their children don't actually attend the classes or do the work.

I think at a minimum, the schools should go back thru the records and find out what honest, deserving, hard working applicant got bumped for one of these privileged kids, and offer them admission with a scholarship from the money improperly earned.