Hollywood Shores Structure

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Welcome Mr. Bonner - and a question

Welcome aboard, sir! What an interesting life you seem to have led so far!

I live in Hollywood Shores, a neighborhood started in 1956 or so on the Patuxent River at the end of Jones Wharf Road. Toward the back of this area are a few interesting structures. The first is a large concrete-block structure currently serving as somone's home and rumored to have been a convalescent military hospital in WWII. Can you shed any light on that?

Also, we have an obviously very old two-story house with two gables on the waterfront that appears to be (because of its design) something like 100 years old. Can you tell us anything about it? (That house is currently being renovated, very slowly, by its current owner, whom I haven't met).

Henry

HJollywood Shores Structure

Give me a few days and I'll try and answer your question.

Thanks,

Henry

Last edited:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Railroad said:

I live in Hollywood Shores, a neighborhood started in 1956 or so on the Patuxent River at the end of Jones Wharf Road. Toward the back of this area are a few interesting structures. The first is a large concrete-block structure currently serving as somone's home and rumored to have been a convalescent military hospital in WWII. Can you shed any light on that?

Also, we have an obviously very old two-story house with two gables on the waterfront that appears to be (because of its design) something like 100 years old. Can you tell us anything about it? (That house is currently being renovated, very slowly, by its current owner, whom I haven't met).

From what I was told the concrete building was an old hospital. I have extensive knowledge of the 1800's home on Riverside Drive as I used to live in it. If you have any ? about it pm me and I'll be happy to help in anyway I can.

R

remaxrealtor

Railroad said:

I used to live in Hollywood Shores myself, on the water at the end of Peninsular (Island View). I really liked it there, served on the Board for 3 years.

About 5 years ago I had the big white house down on the water listed for sale. It used to be the plantation manor for the entire plantation that encompassed most of the land that is now Hollywood Shores. In fact, the owner (back then) had some papers that showed a carriage circle and a field on the back side of the house (the water side). I found it amazing that there has been that much erosion up there, his guess was hundreds of feet. The house itself was really run down but very cool. Original tin ceilings, gas lanterns lining the halls, 8 fireplaces and NO indoor plumbing except for the kitchen and one small bath that had been added on the bottom floor. I'm thrilled to hear that he finally found a buyer who is restoring it. He's a really sweet old guy and it was more important to him to see someone appreciate the place for what it was rather than tearing it down.

Henry

Hollywood Shores

An interim report to your posting of June 10th.

The area at the mouth of Cole’s Creek, now known as Hollywood Shores, has been inhabited since 1705. It was originally part of Resurrection Hundred. By the Revolution it was part of Fenwick Manor (the manorial-plantation adjacent to Sotterley) and ruled by a famous St. Mary’s County character, Ignatius Fenwick. Then its history becomes overwhelmed by genealogical confusion. By 1786 the area had become the one of the official Maryland tobacco inspection stations, and one of tthe Inspecters was Zachariah Forrest, who resided in the area and had a
plantation on what you used Fenwick Manor.and owned the landing. Up until the Civil War
Coles Landing and Forrest’s Landing were one of the same, and was a well known steamboat
wharf, linking that part of the County twice weekly to Baltimore. In 1876 Forrest’s Landing
also became known as Jone’s Wharf (a Mr. Jones ran the General Store.).

Joseph Forest lost the plantation by confiscation at the beginning of the Civil War because he fought for the Confereacy. He got his plantation (farm) back in 1868. Then the harscrabble years overcame the County. By the early 1930s Forrest Landing had disappeared because most of the
Chesapeake shipping lines had given away to the automobile and the hurricane of 1933 which
devastated all of the piers on the Patuxent.

More Coming....

fttrsbeerwench

I used to go to that spot in high school. That little coveon the beach at the shores was one of my fave places( and no not to smoke pot) This could prove to be a very cool thread. I love history and old homes. I'm currently looking in to an finding the history of a huge old Victorian on the edge of P.G. County near St. Dominic's Episcopal Church. The grave yard is loaded with Civil War headstones.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Henry said:
An interim report to your posting of June 10th.

The area at the mouth of Cole’s Creek, now known as Hollywood Shores, has been inhabited since 1705. It was originally part of Resurrection Hundred. By the Revolution it was part of Fenwick Manor (the manorial-plantation adjacent to Sotterley) and ruled by a famous St. Mary’s County character, Ignatius Fenwick. Then its history becomes overwhelmed by genealogical confusion. By 1786 the area had become the one of the official Maryland tobacco inspection stations, and one of tthe Inspecters was Zachariah Forrest, who resided in the area and had a
plantation on what you used Fenwick Manor.and owned the landing. Up until the Civil War
Coles Landing and Forrest’s Landing were one of the same, and was a well known steamboat
wharf, linking that part of the County twice weekly to Baltimore. In 1876 Forrest’s Landing
also became known as Jone’s Wharf (a Mr. Jones ran the General Store.).

Joseph Forest lost the plantation by confiscation at the beginning of the Civil War because he fought for the Confereacy. He got his plantation (farm) back in 1868. Then the harscrabble years overcame the County. By the early 1930s Forrest Landing had disappeared because most of the
Chesapeake shipping lines had given away to the automobile and the hurricane of 1933 which
devastated all of the piers on the Patuxent.

More Coming....
Fascinating! This is great! Thanks!

Henry

I think your way ahead of me with regard to specific buildings in Hollywood Shores.
Is there any history in writing?

Henry

remaxrealtor

Can you give the family name of the "plantation Manor" that you dsescribe, and did the "old guy" ever tell you when the house was built?

Beny

Just found this old thread . . . I used to live in Hollywood Shores. Does anyone remember the story about the old Fenwick Manor house? Is there really a haunted story?

:confused:

dan0623_2000

If the concrete building you are talking about is the one on the corner by the pool, then as a kid I was always told it was originally a home for insane people. I was associated with Hollywood Shores back in it's early day's of the 50's and 60's.
Oh the fun we had at the pool and down in the creek. Crab in the morning, play at the pool early afternoon and then water ski the rest of the day and then back back to the pool for more fun in the evening.
Sure learned a lot about life and little about love, or should I say lust in those days!!

Beny

Oh gosh! This is fun. I remember 2 scary houses as a kid when I lived there, mid 1960s to mid 70s. Do you remember any creepy stories about these houses?

Yes, one was the concrete block one next to the pool. They had wonderful cherry trees there. Remember cutting through the berry bushes to get to the pool?

The other was the big 2-story manor house on the river, top of the hill. We tried to never go past it alone as kids - even on bikes! Weren't we tough. I used to play with the kids that lived at both houses.

You are so right. We crabbed, fished, swam and, of course, climbed the cliffs on the river side. Don't think any of us ever wore shoes either - burning your feet walking on oiled dirt roads in the blazing sun. What goofs we were!

GoodnessME

Oh gosh! This is fun. I remember 2 scary houses as a kid when I lived there, mid 1960s to mid 70s. Do you remember any creepy stories about these houses?

Yes, one was the concrete block one next to the pool. They had wonderful cherry trees there. Remember cutting through the berry bushes to get to the pool?

The other was the big 2-story manor house on the river, top of the hill. We tried to never go past it alone as kids - even on bikes! Weren't we tough. I used to play with the kids that lived at both houses.

You are so right. We crabbed, fished, swam and, of course, climbed the cliffs on the river side. Don't think any of us ever wore shoes either - burning your feet walking on oiled dirt roads in the blazing sun. What goofs we were!

You a NEWBIE!!! Welcome!!!:howdy: I used to VISIT Hollywood Shores when I was in High School!!! Those were the days!!! LOL