Homeowner Insurance Premiums

TPD

the poor dad
Wow - mine took a huge jump! I've got what is called inflation protection on my policy so the replacement cost of my house changes each year based on inflation. As you guessed, it increased significantly this year - 21%! Which means my premium also increased about $600 annually or 29%! I remember when my annual policy was only $600 and now I have increases of $600 - FJB!

So just a warning to those of you who do escrow for your homeowners insurance, be prepared for an increase when your policy comes up for renewal.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Wow - mine took a huge jump! I've got what is called inflation protection on my policy so the replacement cost of my house changes each year based on inflation. As you guessed, it increased significantly this year - 21%! Which means my premium also increased about $600 annually or 29%! I remember when my annual policy was only $600 and now I have increases of $600 - FJB!

So just a warning to those of you who do escrow for your homeowners insurance, be prepared for an increase when your policy comes up for renewal.
All, insurance companies, across the board, are the first to raise rates, typically higher that the official government inflation rates, to offset inflation. Actually, one can use insurance companies as a barometer to ascertain what the actual increases in inflation are. So if your company is increasing rates by 21%, you can pretty much be guaranteed that is about a close to what the actual inflation rate is. Not the BS numbers thrown out by government and the financial media.

Which I am sure you can also witness in the wholesale prices in your cost of goods.

Hessian

I was muttering about the ridiculous price jump...on my State Farm acct. It is currently 300% higher than about 15 years ago. I am wondering if I need to consider payment with cords of wood, and some bartering of rusty tools.
This is again the criminality of exploitation of the middle class.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

While rearranging some things, I happened to stumble on an old home insurance policy for 2012. My rate then was $370. This year it is now $998. And have never ever filed a single claim. That is an increase of 169.73% over ten years. That's an average inflation rate of 16.973% per year. So the question that needs asking ..... has everyone's income increased 169.73% over that 10 year period? Inquiring minds and all that.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....

While rearranging some things, I happened to stumble on an old home insurance policy for 2012. My rate then was $370. This year it is now $998. And have never ever filed a single claim. That is an increase of 169.73% over ten years. That's an average inflation rate of 16.973% per year. So the question that needs asking ..... has everyone's income increased 169.73% over that 10 year period? Inquiring minds and all that.
Mine has gone up, but not nearly that much. Seems that rates are more determined by the local crime and police actions than they are by filing claims.

OccamsRazor

Then = $370
Now = $998

My calculator lists that as a 270% increase :sshrug:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
From hearing about claims being denied and/or insurance not being renewed due to filing a claim, I have concluded that anyone who is military or related should look into USAA as I hear they do not deny claims and they make sure every customer is happy with the repairs/work performed. I checked on car insurance and they are a tad higher than what I pay with Geico however I am told by customers they pay the claims and make the process easy which means they could actually be the better deal in the end if I need to file a claim? I rarely have ever filed an auto claim in my life so going for the cheapest rate is usually what works best for me.

HemiHauler

Then = $370
Now = $998

My calculator lists that as a 270% increase :sshrug:

That’s an absolute percent change. To make any sense of it, you gotta annualize - you should get 13-14% if my back-of-napkin calculations are correct.

But big numbers out of context are scary and people like to be scared.

OccamsRazor

That’s an absolute percent change. To make any sense of it, you gotta annualize - you should get 13-14% if my back-of-napkin calculations are correct.

But big numbers out of context are scary and people like to be scared.
DOH! Yep... my numbers still take into account the original price.

Still, who was getting a 13-14% wage increase yearly? Only the people who have ZERO worries about these increases.

HemiHauler

DOH! Yep... my numbers still take into account the original price.

Still, who was getting a 13-14% wage increase yearly? Only the people who have ZERO worries about these increases.

13-14% wage increases? Not too many I don’t think.

13-14% market returns? EZPZ.

PeoplesElbow

$370 for a year? Do you live in a porta potty?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
With the joe tax (inflation) the cost of building supplies has sky rocketed. Why wouldn't home owners insurance jump?