Homeowner jailed for firing warning shot

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Homeowner jailed for firing warning shot - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

MESQUITE, Texas - A Mesquite man was arrested and hauled off to jail for firing a shot into the ground of his own backyard. He says he was simply protecting his wife and property, but police called his actions reckless.

Kay Ward recalls waking up late Saturday night to the sound of a bang at her bedroom window. When she glanced out she saw the nearby fence shaking.

"They were trying to break in. They were trying to break in," she said. "I was terrified. I was literally shaking like a leaf."

Husband Terry Nye said he saw someone's head so he reached for his gun and went out the back door.

"I could see men through the fence and I told them they needed to leave my property and leave me alone," he said.

He then fired a shot into the ground to scare them away. A neighbor heard it and called police. Nye said he chased the men around his side gate and was out front to greet police.

But soon he was handcuffed and hauled off to jail. Police charged him with discharging his weapon in a metropolitan area.

Vince

Of course. Let's not arrest the criminals. Let's throw the victims in jail. The new, liberal way of justice. :lol:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
"Unnecessary and reckless"... :rolleyes:

All that and they don't mention what happened to the two idiots who caused the problems.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I always thought that putting one in the ground before you shot an intruder was a smart thing to do because then you have evidence that you warned them. I guess his mistake was not killing one of them. :shrug:

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
I always thought that putting one in the ground before you shot an intruder was a smart thing to do because then you have evidence that you warned them. I guess his mistake was not killing one of them. :shrug:

My Dad always said "Not till they get in the house. Outside you can get in trouble."

:coffee:

SoMDGirl42

Homeowner jailed for firing warning shot - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

MESQUITE, Texas - A Mesquite man was arrested and hauled off to jail for firing a shot into the ground of his own backyard. He says he was simply protecting his wife and property, but police called his actions reckless.

Kay Ward recalls waking up late Saturday night to the sound of a bang at her bedroom window. When she glanced out she saw the nearby fence shaking.

"They were trying to break in. They were trying to break in," she said. "I was terrified. I was literally shaking like a leaf."

Husband Terry Nye said he saw someone's head so he reached for his gun and went out the back door.

"I could see men through the fence and I told them they needed to leave my property and leave me alone," he said.

He then fired a shot into the ground to scare them away. A neighbor heard it and called police. Nye said he chased the men around his side gate and was out front to greet police.

But soon he was handcuffed and hauled off to jail. Police charged him with discharging his weapon in a metropolitan area.

sad. He'd have been better off standing there and waiting for them to get over the fence and then shoot them dead. SURPRISE! BOOM.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

Had he called Miss Utility earlier he'd have been OK.

foodcritic

Of course. Let's not arrest the criminals. Let's throw the victims in jail. The new, liberal way of justice. :lol:

As a police officer i would be embarrased to do this to a homeowner protecting his family and property. My hope is they were under some mandatory obligatin to make an arrest. If so the law needs to be changed to protect law abiding citizens.

seven

As a police officer i would be embarrased to do this to a homeowner protecting his family and property. My hope is they were under some mandatory obligatin to make an arrest. If so the law needs to be changed to protect law abiding citizens.

I don't participate much but I am an avid reader of the forums and truthfully if you are being honest that you are a policeman, that kind of scares me after reading some of the posts you make.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Wait a minute, I'm sure with a little searching, I can find where you said you are not a cop.

foodcritic

I don't participate much but I am an avid reader of the forums and truthfully if you are being honest that you are a policeman, that kind of scares me after reading some of the posts you make.

And this should concern me why.....:coffee:

justiceforall

You forgot this. :sarcasm: But I got it anyway.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. That is factual, at least in St. Mary's County. There are numerous examples of homeowners protecting their property and not getting arrested for it. Some of them within the last few months.

Vince

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. That is factual, at least in St. Mary's County. There are numerous examples of homeowners protecting their property and not getting arrested for it. Some of them within the last few months.
I've got no faith in the Maryland Judicial System. Seen too many folks hauled away for :bs: And too many criminals let go time and time again.

Last edited:

justiceforall

I've got no faith in the Maryland Judicial System. Seen too many folks hauled away for :bs: And too many criminals let go time and time again.

While I agree the system is not perfect, you would have to show me cases here, at least where people have been hauled off for :bs: I don't see it and i'm out here every day.

As far as people getting off, blame that on the jury of your peers.

Vince

While I agree the system is not perfect, you would have to show me cases here, at least where people have been hauled off for :bs: I don't see it and i'm out here every day.

As far as people getting off, blame that on the jury of your peers.
Baja is correct when he says I was refering to Judges. Judges that let criminals go time and time again. Criminals let go after being brought up on charges 3 or 4 times. If you want to see cases, look them up for yourself. You seem to know more about the Maryland Judical system than I do.