Honest opinions/experiences with Atkins

gretchen

Did it work for you? I'm really considering this after gaining almost 17 pounds while recovering from surgery. I'm doing a low calorie/walking regimen and it's not getting the weight off. I'm also considering weight watchers.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
My husband did weight watchers and had really fabulous results, fairly quickly. He did hit a plateau after about a month, which was discouraging, but he kept at it and achieved his weight loss goal.

As an aside, I was on a medication that made me gain so much weight that I felt like a waddling beach ball. As soon as I was off the medicine I dropped most of the weight fairly quickly. So if you are still taking any medications from your surgery, consider that as something that could be hampering your weight loss effort.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Atkins, or any other low carb eating program, will take the weight off fairly effortlessly. The problem is sticking with it. If you can overcome the initial carb CRAVING!!! :jameo: :cds: during the first few days, you'll be able to hang in there longer. I suck at weight loss - no self-control. :fail:

gretchen

I'm off the surgery meds and clear for exercise but I can relate to the beach ball comment. I feel like a fat ass. Weight Watchers does seem to work for me but it just feels slow. I'm probably not being patient enough and looking for a quick fix. But of course there isn't one. It's so easy to gain but damn it's hard to lose.

gretchen

Atkins, or any other low carb eating program, will take the weight off fairly effortlessly. The problem is sticking with it. If you can overcome the initial carb CRAVING!!! :jameo: :cds: during the first few days, you'll be able to hang in there longer. I suck at weight loss - no self-control. :fail:

Actually,I'm a salty stuff/cheese lover so I could handle Atkins. It just feels wrong after all the calorie restrictions to eat that stuff. I don't want to gain any more. I'll have to google but is it true I can eat the tops off of pizza? If so,I can do it indefinitely! Or is my asking how to work pizza back in before starting the diet a bad omen?!

bulldog

Personally, I'm converting to a semi-paleo diet. Going to cut out most, but not all carbs, cut sugar except from fruit (and that can be a lot), etc., etc. I'm also going to join CrossFit PAX to help get me going again on a solid exercise routine.

For me, it's about having a goal and having accountability. When I was running to prepare for a marathon, the marathon was both my goal and my accountability to exercise to achieve the goal. If I don't have something in front of me to shoot for, I find other things that "need" to be done (mow the yard, was the car, etc.) and use them as an excuse not to exercise. Now, paying my dues to CrossFit will be my accountability...as will the other members and my goal is to lose about 25 pounds by September.

mitzi

It worked for me. 10 years ago I lost almost 50 lbs. in 7 to 8 months. I've put it back on since then but that's my own fault for falling back into eating everything I knew I shouldn't. I just started the Atkins last week and have lost 4 lbs (mostly fluid I think). So yes, it does work. After the initial shock the first week or so, you get used to eating very little carbs and it's not that bad. Let me know if you decide to give it a try and how it goes.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Libertytyranny and I used to do Low Carb/Atkins together. We usually stuck to no more than 20-40g net carbs a day, we never really left the Induction phase. It's how she lost all her baby weight after her monster and it worked great for me too....when I actually followed it. I'd lost about 20 lbs, but then I took on a new job with a long commute and lots of that went out the window. I've always still ate low-carb-ish... I save pastas and breads for the weekends or special occasions. Pinterest is a god-send in finding great recipes, I have several boards dedicated to various meal types: breakfasts/snacks, lunches, dinners, fun treats, etc. I get tired of eggs easily :lol:

It's been a while since I was on a strict Induction phase, but I still can't consume too many carbs without feeling ill effects afterwards. It helped my heartburn tremendously too.

I follow several great low carb blogs/websites full of easy recipes, if you'd like those let me know :smile:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I should have also said I did do a search on this subject but wanted to get more current opinions.

I've lost over 50 pounds using Atkins, and it comes off FAST..

Problem is you have to tell yourself this is a permanent change.. you go back to inputting more carbs, the weight comes back (to a degree).

I went from 250 down to 200, started eating normally again for about 6 months and went back up to 225, no I'm back to 210.. I'm going to go below 200 this time, try to get to 190, then maintain between 190 and 200.

Nicest part of Atkins, it doesn't have to cost you anything extry. You don't have to buy their meals, you don't have to buy their snacks, you just have to plan your menus..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Libertytyranny and I used to do Low Carb/Atkins together. We usually stuck to no more than 20-40g net carbs a day, we never really left the Induction phase. It's how she lost all her baby weight after her monster and it worked great for me too....when I actually followed it. I'd lost about 20 lbs, but then I took on a new job with a long commute and lots of that went out the window. I've always still ate low-carb-ish... I save pastas and breads for the weekends or special occasions. Pinterest is a god-send in finding great recipes, I have several boards dedicated to various meal types: breakfasts/snacks, lunches, dinners, fun treats, etc. I get tired of eggs easily :lol:

It's been a while since I was on a strict Induction phase, but I still can't consume too many carbs without feeling ill effects afterwards. It helped my heartburn tremendously too.

I follow several great low carb blogs/websites full of easy recipes, if you'd like those let me know :smile:

10 fold on the heartburn.. before I had to have TUMS everywhere I went.. In my desk at work, in the kitchen at the house, in all the cars, in the BG's purse..

Now I NEVER need them..

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Atkins worked fine for me back in the day, although I was not really overweight, at least by my reasoning. I don't strictly adhere to it now, but it made me very aware of carbs/calories/sugar contents of food, making it easier to maintain weight.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
It works. The hard part is the first week. If you can get past that, and if you can be creative, you'll be successful. That said, this is not a NO CARB diet. It's a low carb diet. You need the few carbs you are permitted.

Prosion

I have not done Atkins in particular, but I have done low carb. I put my body into a ketogenic state (can be tested with ketostix) by eating about 20 grams of carbs a day. I lost pretty quickly, and took off about 50lbs in the process. The first few days you may suffer from "keto flu" which, feels just like the flu, as your body switches from using carbs as energy, to fat as energy. Your body will eliminate water very quickly as well, so you may be going more than normal.

If you do a "carb load" day, your body may throw it out quickly (bathroom again) and may feel dizzy with it as well, depending on how many carbs you eat on that day, so keep it in mind if you go out for some pasta and bread.

I would stay away from the atkins desserts.. sugar alcohols does not agree with most and its not pretty lol If you want a discusting laugh, check out http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummi-...680813&sr=8-1&keywords=sugar+free+gummy+bears

Over all though I really like low carb. I felt a great deal better, joints felt better, was "sharper" in thought and obviously the weight loss is great. You should loose about 10bs within the first week (mostly water weight, but it still counts!).