Hoof abscess?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
My Leopard Mare Tequilla blew one today, it's really small, and draining, it's towards her toe. I suspect she had a stone bruise, and this is the end result. Any advice? I've cleaned it out, and soaked her foot a bit...am i forgetting anything? Poor girl is dead lame.

Yes i've done the google thing...but wanted to know if anyone had any additional advice?

GallopNTec

happyappygirl said:
My Leopard Mare Tequilla blew one today, it's really small, and draining, it's towards her toe. I suspect she had a stone bruise, and this is the end result. Any advice? I've cleaned it out, and soaked her foot a bit...am i forgetting anything? Poor girl is dead lame.

Yes i've done the google thing...but wanted to know if anyone had any additional advice?
Epsom salts in a warm water soak work well if she'll stand for it. Last one my boy had, I squirted good ol neosporin right in the hole.
Good luck, hope she feels better soon.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Epsom salt soaks. I use to pack mine (when we had one) with ithcamal (sp?A black sauve) to draw out the infection.

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
mingiz said:
Epsom salt soaks. I use to pack mine (when we had one) with ithcamal (sp?A black sauve) to draw out the infection.

:yeahthat:Soaking and packing will do it. If you have a boot use that after the packing. If not, just wrap it. Good luck. :howdy:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
and wrapping it with good ole duct tape works well after you have done some good hot salt soaks and covered the soft tissue with icthemol , Oh and also bute if needed.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
So you don't put anything between the hoof and duct tape? Just slap ichthamol on?

I got a soaking boot from Elam's yesterday, but was worried about what to wrap it with.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Farrier son says no need to wrap the foot - just continue soaking as needed if the abcess comes out the top or side. If it busts out the bottom then you need to apply icth and wrap (duct tape boots work fine for short term use).

changeling

happyappygirl said:
So you don't put anything between the hoof and duct tape? Just slap ichthamol on?

I got a soaking boot from Elam's yesterday, but was worried about what to wrap it with.

We have a Cushings horse that is prone to absesses. This is what we do:

1. Clean the hoof.
2. Soak for 10-15 minutes in water (farrier says warm or cold but we always use warm) with epson salts.
3. Dry the hoof thoroughly or the ichthamol won't stick well.
4. Cover the entire bottom of the hoof with sheet cotton (If his foot is really painful I use a little more cotton for padding).
5. Put the boot on the hoof or wrap the hoof in vetwrap. If you wrap with vetwrap, cover the bottom of the hoof with duct tape.

When our little boy has an absess we do this twice a day for the first 2 days and then once a day until he's feeling better.

Hope that helps. :howdy:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
She's giving me a REALLY-REALLY hard time just giving me the foot. So it must be real painful. This mare never tells me no for anything. It's popped out the bottom towards her toe.

Should have seen me trying to make that soaker boot slip on a foot that won't come up off the ground. :ohwell: LeRoy grabbed the boot (full of warm water/epsom salts) and swung it before i could hop over and snatch it out of his mouth, he got a snoot full of salt water for his efforts...it's a miracle it had anything left in it once i got it on her foot. I had to hop in the pool to cool off once i was finished....MAN that's work while in a full leg/knee brace :lol:

Thanks for the exact instructions!! I'll go back out in a bit and put the ich, vet wrap and duct tape on her foot. Where do you get sheet cotton?

Our duct tape is bright GREEN :lol: LeRoy and Cheyenne are coming over to sniff her fancy new boot. She's pretty cranky with them too, she's a squealer.

Last edited:

DQ2B

If it's still draining, I like the animalintex poultice pads. Tip: you can use a pull-up to cover the foot and add the duct tape to the bottom. Works a lot faster for a horse that isn't cooperating to have his foot wrapped. Also, for your duct tape, peel several strips off and stick them side-by-side (sticky side up) till you have a section wide enough to cover the bottom of the hoof, then simply lift the hoof once and slap the section of tape on the bottom and fold up the hoof wall.

To keep any infection from doing any damage, I like to do a soak in Clean Trax once after the abcess ruptures.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
DQ2B said:
If it's still draining, I like the animalintex poultice pads. Tip: you can use a pull-up to cover the foot and add the duct tape to the bottom. Works a lot faster for a horse that isn't cooperating to have his foot wrapped. Also, for your duct tape, peel several strips off and stick them side-by-side (sticky side up) till you have a section wide enough to cover the bottom of the hoof, then simply lift the hoof once and slap the section of tape on the bottom and fold up the hoof wall.

To keep any infection from doing any damage, I like to do a soak in Clean Trax once after the abcess ruptures.
WISH i had seen this in time :lol:
Next time....hopefully there won't be one...but if there is THANKS!