Horrendous wreck in Charlotte Hall

black dog

Free America
Normally, I would agree with that being the intent of the design, but abnormalities do crop up every now and then resulting in the unknown, right?

Certainly, about 2+ years ago Exide battery recycle plant in Muncie had a failure in the building where the the batterys are ground up and the lead smelting begins with the air filtration system.
Instead of the vents to the outside closing when there was a problem they opened and flooded the surroundings with noxious gas.
All employees in the plant when working wear full face respirators. None do outside of the plant.
They went bankrupt and last summer were bought by a affiliate of Atlas Holdings.

Charlatan33

As someone who knew both Alex and one of the victims, I have to say that this is just an awful situation. 20/20 hindsight is never helpful, but typically accurate. Yeah, I feel safe in saying that Alex definitely suffered from some sort of mental illness with this in mind. Up to this point of time, he just seemed like a weird dude. Quirky, maybe? He was a good guy. Did a lot of work on our property cutting trees. Always a pleasure to work with. Even came over a few times for some social events. Just always pegged him as weird. Seeing this now (and the Dr Phil video which I had no idea of), it all makes sense. But I guess that wisdom is the ability to see this stuff before it happens, right? As for the female victim, she was such a good person. Just genuinely good. I think that our temptation is to divide the world into black and white. It makes things so much easier to process. Like the good guys. Hate the bad guys. It's simple. Read some Rene Girard. The need for a scapegoat is built in to us. It's really tough when something like this happens. When someone who is a victim (of fate? circumstances? evolution? determinism?) victimizes another out of their own suffering. Most of us don't have the tools to deal with that. So we resort to some sort of dichotomy. Some sort of tribalism. The absurdity of reality is too much much for the human condition. Hence why Huysmans had it right at "the end of life ends with either the barrel of gun in our mouth or at the foot of the cross".

black dog

Free America
Pretty sure there's been no documented cases of such a failure mode in nature. Ford something with a melting part of the cruise control, and of course the Toyota debacle which all looks to have really been floor mats.

I believe Ken was just making a point that sometings things happen without human involvement. Sh!t happens sometimes, say an ic popped a few gates and produced a cross connection of voltage and bazzarro happens. Wires rub through and things can happen...

mitzi

If I may ...

Yup. And apparently he is in the tree trimming/felling business.

I watched the Dr. Phil segments. He obviously had mental issues. He seemed out of touch with reality and had breakdowns. Schizophrenia? Dr. Phil needs to stop exploiting people like this. From the looks of that wreck, it'll be a miracle if he survives. His wife tried to get him help, I have compassion for her and their children.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Read some Rene Girard. The need for a scapegoat is built in to us.
Was not too long ago reading an interview with Peter Thiel where Girard and this scapegoat idea was discussed.

Your whole comment was excellent, btw. TY

--- End of line (MCP)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
As someone who knew both Alex and one of the victims, I have to say that this is just an awful situation. 20/20 hindsight is never helpful, but typically accurate. Yeah, I feel safe in saying that Alex definitely suffered from some sort of mental illness with this in mind. Up to this point of time, he just seemed like a weird dude. Quirky, maybe? He was a good guy. Did a lot of work on our property cutting trees. Always a pleasure to work with. Even came over a few times for some social events. Just always pegged him as weird. Seeing this now (and the Dr Phil video which I had no idea of), it all makes sense. But I guess that wisdom is the ability to see this stuff before it happens, right? As for the female victim, she was such a good person. Just genuinely good. I think that our temptation is to divide the world into black and white. It makes things so much easier to process. Like the good guys. Hate the bad guys. It's simple. Read some Rene Girard. The need for a scapegoat is built in to us. It's really tough when something like this happens. When someone who is a victim (of fate? circumstances? evolution? determinism?) victimizes another out of their own suffering. Most of us don't have the tools to deal with that. So we resort to some sort of dichotomy. Some sort of tribalism. The absurdity of reality is too much much for the human condition. Hence why Huysmans had it right at "the end of life ends with either the barrel of gun in our mouth or at the foot of the cross".
A rare insight that I see that is spot on. Thank you for that perspective and the manner in which you elucidated it.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Pretty sure there's been no documented cases of such a failure mode in nature.
Not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that all designed fail-safe implementations are perfect? Currently there seems to be a couple class-action lawsuits against Subaru for unintended acceleration incidents. I'm not saying that this is the cause with this specific car or incident, just was wondering if it could be a possibility.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that all designed fail-safe implementations are perfect? Currently there seems to be a couple class-action lawsuits against Subaru for unintended acceleration incidents. I'm not saying that this is the cause with this specific car or incident, just was wondering if it could be a possibility.

I am saying that you could find that almost every maker has faced class action suits for this, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody has every done anything but cause enough doubt in a bunch of jurors who probably couldn't change the air filter in their own cars that that a settlement was won. Im saying that there isn't one documented case of an electronic system causing UI in any car.

Bodankeu

All of us have speeded and many have driven recklessly according to the legal definition. Driving 100 mph, mid-day, through that section of road wasn't either of those. It was a suicide mission, with the driver not caring who he took with him. There is a disturbing and sad lack of compassion in this forum. Being compassionate for the victims and their families is easy, but what about Alek's wife and children? His parents? Many are jumping on the bandwagon of Judge/Jury/Executioner. Many of you are the same people who defended Simone Biles and exclaimed how we need to be more understanding of mental illness and compassionate to those who suffer from it. This guy wasn't just some reckless driver, he must have been suffering from some sort of mental break and suicide wish. All those Dr. Phil videos seem to support that mental illness played a part. What did Dr. Phil do for him and his family after the episode? Anything? Or did he exploit the man and his wife for ratings and then do nothing? And yet we idolize Dr. Phil and vilify this guy. Do you all hang out vilifying and condemning people with mental illness who try to take their lives? I hope not. This wasn't just another 235 speeding incident turned tragic accident. This was something far more complex and something deserving of more thought, prayers and compassion than what's being exhibited on this thread.

black dog

Free America
All of us have speeded and many have driven recklessly according to the legal definition. Driving 100 mph, mid-day, through that section of road wasn't either of those. It was a suicide mission, with the driver not caring who he took with him. There is a disturbing and sad lack of compassion in this forum. Being compassionate for the victims and their families is easy, but what about Alek's wife and children? His parents? Many are jumping on the bandwagon of Judge/Jury/Executioner. Many of you are the same people who defended Simone Biles and exclaimed how we need to be more understanding of mental illness and compassionate to those who suffer from it. This guy wasn't just some reckless driver, he must have been suffering from some sort of mental break and suicide wish. All those Dr. Phil videos seem to support that mental illness played a part. What did Dr. Phil do for him and his family after the episode? Anything? Or did he exploit the man and his wife for ratings and then do nothing? And yet we idolize Dr. Phil and vilify this guy. Do you all hang out vilifying and condemning people with mental illness who try to take their lives? I hope not. This wasn't just another 235 speeding incident turned tragic accident. This was something far more complex and something deserving of more thought, prayers and compassion than what's being exhibited on this thread.

I'm quite certain over the next year or so we will learn many things about this man, good and bad.
And I would bet there will be many folks that have and will go, Oh Sh!t

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Aleksander Ivanchev is the guy that killed two innocent people yesterday in Charlotte Hall. He was on Dr. Phil a few years ago. He better hope God has his back now! My thoughts and prayers are with the two victims family 🙏🙏

Here's more:

Wacko.