Horrendous wreck in Charlotte Hall

glhs837

Power with Control
There is a reason that one can push the shifter from drive to neutral.. Along with one can reach forward and turn the key off to depower the engine.

This is true, and I agree everyone should have the technical knowledge of how to shut off any machine they operate, but "complex solutions" such as those are usually not counted. But what is this "key" that you speak of? Can I turn my fob to make the engine turn off? There are safeguards to prevent you from accidentally hitting the START button on the dash and killing the engine while at 70.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Here's the best info I can find. Of course, 540hp is chump change today, but in the case before us, there isnt a +700hp supercharged Hemi in play play. So, no, the brakes are not useless. Of course, like so many things, that only matters if the driver had the mental wherewithal to just stand on the brakes until the car slowed. That officer mentioned in this article could have saved his family if he had done so instead of panicking, I believe. Its hard to keep your head when everyone else in screaming, though especially when its your most loved ones doing so.

Thanks. Just curious. I would think most people's first reaction would be to hit the brakes. Of course I find it hard to believe it a mechanical failure when people reported seeing him drive erratically, weaving in and out of traffic, as far back as Lockes Hill Rd.

black dog

Free America
This is true, and I agree everyone should have the technical knowledge of how to shut off any machine they operate, but "complex solutions" such as those are usually not counted. But what is this "key" that you speak of? Can I turn my fob to make the engine turn off? There are safeguards to prevent you from accidentally hitting the START button on the dash and killing the engine while at 70.

You are really reaching....
All of my rides have keys from a 2000 F350, a 2000 Ranger up to a 2018 GMC Terrain, all of my motorcycles have to have a key to start or to unlock the keyswitch to be able to start it. ... Simply turn the key switch left.
If it has a clutch simply push the peddle down and hold it to depower...

Is it a complex solution to push the shifter forward and depower, along with engaging the parking brake?

black dog

Free America
Thanks. Just curious. I would think most people's first reaction would be to hit the brakes. Of course I find it hard to believe it a mechanical failure when people reported seeing him drive erratically, weaving in and out of traffic, as far back as Lockes Hill Rd.

Exactly, i would bet the analysis will be the throttle was wide open during impact...

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Is it a complex solution to push the shifter forward and depower, along with engaging the parking brake?
It can be, if you've never done it/experienced it/practiced it before, and are in panic mode because it's in runaway mode.

glhs837

Power with Control
You are really reaching....
All of my rides have keys from a 2000 F350, a 2000 Ranger up to a 2018 GMC Terrain, all of my motorcycles have to have a key to start or to unlock the keyswitch to be able to start it. ... Simply turn the key switch left.
If it has a clutch simply push the peddle down and hold it to depower...

We are on the same side here, as I said, you should learn how to shut off any machine you operate. And the conditions I posit are factual ones, based on peoples responses to UI cases. Wifes 2015 Jeep has no key slot on the dash. A big button to start it it all. Newer BMW motorcycles, same thing. Been an option since 2015 in fact. Lots of vehicles have keyless operation. Most if not all of these have a way to use that button to shut off the motor no matter the condition. For the Jeep, you have to press and hold for three seconds. Others might vary, but most folks will never bother to learn.

Clutch, but of course, but thats rare enough to not even need to address it.

Putting it in neutral, again, seems simple to those of us who are not simply machine users but really operators who understand the systems. But most people are not, they dont go learn more about the machine. And as much as you and I dont like it, the future is making machines that operate around the ignorance of the drivers.

Wifes Jeep has an automatic parking brake. When I select park, Jeep applies that brake. When I select drive, or reverse, I need to use the button to take it off. Here's the thing. After the Star Trek actor managed to kill himself, Jeep changed the programming. If it detects the drivers door opening and the lack of a butt in the drivers seat, it slams on the parking brake.

glhs837

Power with Control
Throw some modern numbers for these runaways. Even carburetors had duel springs...

Its all low numbers, and almost every single one can be traced back to pedal misapplication, like the Audis back in the day. The Toyota issue was loose floor mats and a gas pedal closer to the floor than normal, which allowed the mat to slide forward and pin the gas pedal to the stop. The issues isn't really the throttle failing, never has been. The real issue is trying to explain to a jury made up of non-technical types why that's so remote a possibility thats it needn't be considered. Tesla faced this a while back, but since every car datalogs everything, its easy for them to prove.

PeoplesElbow

I've met very few women that can sit in the passenger seat normally for a long ride, they have to have their feet on the dash or under them or something. I was driving from FL to MD with my then girlfriend and she goes to get her feet from under her (I had already fussed about what she was doing to my leather seats) when her foot hit the gear shift. We were doing 75 mph and crap hit the shifter into P, the car made this awful noise she screamed and actually pissed all over herself. I pulled over said we're ok, car seems ok, "now can you sit normally in the f'in seat, or are you not going to be happy until you kill us?"

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've met very few women that can sit in the passenger seat normally for a long ride,
My Mrs. is one who does actually sit when she is the passenger and not the operator.
We are both puzzled how having your feet up like that can be even close to comfortable.

rio

My Mrs. is one who does actually sit when she is the passenger and not the operator.
We are both puzzled how having your feet up like that can be even close to comfortable.
I'm short and depending on what I'm in either my feet don't touch the floor or where it hits the bend of my knee is very uncomfortable. And, on a 14 hour day of driving/riding I can't sit in the same position 2-4 hours at a time between breaks even with a comfortable seat.

And yes, it drives my husband crazy😂

PeoplesElbow

I'm short and depending on what I'm in either my feet don't touch the floor or where it hits the bend of my knee is very uncomfortable. And, on a 14 hour day of driving/riding I can't sit in the same position 2-4 hours at a time between breaks even with a comfortable seat.

And yes, it drives my husband crazy😂
Try being 6'5", almost nowhere is comfortable.

Bonehead

I have had a runaway engine on a Toyota due to the floor mat on a cold (30 degree) startup. I never understood why that engine survived unless it was the synthetic oil. Certainly got my attention.

black dog

Free America
I have had a runaway engine on a Toyota due to the floor mat on a cold (30 degree) startup. I never understood why that engine survived unless it was the synthetic oil. Certainly got my attention.

I wouldn't call that a runaway, more like unattended carpet acceleration...

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I have had a runaway engine on a Toyota due to the floor mat on a cold (30 degree) startup.
My 2009 Vibe is basically a Camry with a Pontiac designed body built by a co-venture GM had with Toyota. Had a recall for that same issue, plus the airbag ones.

glhs837

Power with Control
Does anyone know any updates to this? I have heard various things about the drivers condition but nothing has been solid yet. It seems that by now they should have at least released an update and or determined what to charge the driver with. The families deserve this to be handled promptly and fairly.

You most likely wont see details for a while. Since he's not going anywere, they have time. Tox screens take a while to come back, crash scene analysis also takes a while for results