horse m/f behavior

T

tikipirate

I have a serious question, and would like a serious response. (Not expecting to get one, but...)

I am not a 'horse' kind of guy. Horses never liked me for some reason ever since I was a kid, and I guess I never really liked them too much either.

Whenever I go to this one ranch in Tucson that I frequent, I always visit the horses. The mares always come up and nuzzle me, and I love scratching them under the chin, on the muzzle, etc.

The males (stallions? geldings? whatever...) hate my guts and try to climb over the barbed wire fence to hit me with their hooves.

My (serious question) is "What's up with that?"

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
tikipirate said:
I have a serious question, and would like a serious response. (Not expecting to get one, but...)

I am not a 'horse' kind of guy. Horses never liked me for some reason ever since I was a kid, and I guess I never really liked them too much either.

Whenever I go to this one ranch in Tucson that I frequent, I always visit the horses. The mares always come up and nuzzle me, and I love scratching them under the chin, on the muzzle, etc.

The males (stallions? geldings? whatever...) hate my guts and try to climb over the barbed wire fence to hit me with their hooves.

My (serious question) is "What's up with that?"

2 years ago i was in the same boat as you, now i'm stuck with all these d@mn Horse Nuts (you all know who you are).

i dont think its a Male/Female horse thing. Horses (just like dogs) have different personalitys and different likes/dislikes. I've got a bud who has a Stud Colt, that will push/kick/bite kids and women but is docile with Men. "the Boys" Mustang pony will let "the Boy", my wife and daughter pet her and mess with her, but can not stand me (lol who can?). My first Draft was REAL nervous around strange women (if he knew the woman he was ok). my Belgian (the one in my Avatar) generally likes everyone, and will follow my 8 year old daughter around like a puppy dog.

When Studs fight, they strike each other with their front hoofs (they'll rear and chop at each other) it could be that he sees you as a challenge to "his" harem and is defending it. specially since you said the mares will give you attention.

DQ2B

Are you sure they are exhibiting agressive behavior? I've never seen a group of horses be agressive towards humans on a regular basis. When it happens it is usually a single agressive horse.

But a question to you. If you are not particularly fond of horses why do you repeatedly go to a ranch and specifically go to see the horses? Horses are very intuitive of human emotion.

mingiz

Horse Poor
:yeahthat: I had a friend that worked for a guy that had a percheron stud. One day she was putting him out in his paddock and as she went to open the gate he came down at her and out of the corner of her eye she seen him but it was to late. He latched onto her shoulder and flipped her around like a noodle. She had grabbed the gate with her free arm and hooked it around it as he was trying to pull her over the fence. Luckily some one showed up just about the time she said she was getting ready to pass out from the pain and him trying to rip her shoulder off. Wasn't a pretty site. No matter how well mannered a stud can be NEVER TRUST one.

fredsaid2

Curious if this is a dude ranch type of place or perhaps a working ranch? Either way I wonder if the male horses the OP describes aren't geldings. Are they really being that aggressive to you or just pinning ears and snaking their head out? I've had the opposite experience, mares being a bit more pissy and geldings sweeter and more affectionate. Who knows, maybe the boys are just sensing your uneasiness around them and reacting solely to that?

T

tikipirate

Thanks for the inputs!

To answer back some of the questions...

I have grown to like horses, though I am still not a 'horsey' type. Any childhood fears/dislikes were due to not being familiar with horses. (City mouse.) I have since ridden and driven horses, and they usually go where I point them.

Since I am male, the period question is a breeze.

This occurred on a tourist ranch (stable is next to the golf pro shop) where I believed the horses should be the tamest of the tame. I highly doubt any stud horses would be in the mix. The males still got mighty pissy when I was around. I don't remember all the behavior, but they did rear up, snort, stamp their hooves, etc.

PrepH4U

appyday said:
Weird behavior..next time they do it...whip yours out...if it is bigger then theirs they should back down and submit to you..
bigger than theirs???? :killingme Is he talking mini stallions? :shrug: :killingme

fredsaid2

appyday said:
Weird behavior..next time they do it...whip yours out...if it is bigger then theirs they should back down and submit to you..

Please Appy! That will cause them to colic from the bellyache from laughing
:smile:

W

WildHorses

appyday said:
:lmao: :killingme :lmao: :killingme :lmao:
As you can see, I'm at a loss for words -- too funny. :howdy:

T

tikipirate

appyday said:
I won't ever do that again!!! One time on Mackinac Island, Michigan, I took a quick piss up against the back stall of the stable. When I was zipping up I noticed the stallion occupying the stall was crying.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
tikipirate said:
I won't ever do that again!!! One time on Mackinac Island, Michigan, I took a quick piss up against the back stall of the stable. When I was zipping up I noticed the stallion occupying the stall was crying.

:shocked:

W

WildHorses

tikipirate said:

Do I know you? :lmao: :killingme :lmao: :killingme Oh my gosh, look what somd forums has reduced me to. . . :biggrin: