Horse Scams?

HiddenOaksFarm

Hello-

I needed some advice on horse scams? Currently have a horse fo sale and have an interested buyer overseas, they saw video and photos online and def. want to buy her. I have been reading up on " horse scams" and want to make sure this is a ligit buyer. I know not to let horse leave property until cash in hand or bank has cleard the check. Has anyone dealt with buyers overseas? Any luck with it? Or should I steer clear? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cowgirl

I have dropped her price at $3500. So not money wise but to me she is like my kid, and I want the best for her.

I just can't figure out why someone overseas would want a $3500 horse. :confused: No offense to you or your horse, but I'm sure there are similar horses in whatever country they're already in.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Hello-

I needed some advice on horse scams? Currently have a horse fo sale and have an interested buyer overseas, they saw video and photos online and def. want to buy her. I have been reading up on " horse scams" and want to make sure this is a ligit buyer. I know not to let horse leave property until cash in hand or bank has cleard the check. Has anyone dealt with buyers overseas? Any luck with it? Or should I steer clear? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You would need to share the correspondence because their inquiries all pretty much sound the same for the scammers.

Duckz

That's very sketchy. How did the buyer find you? Where are they located? I've sold stuff on tacktrader.com (owned by dreamhorse.com) and I've had problems with "buyers" who were clearly scam artists. Some were foreign. The scam emails I received usually had terrible grammar. They insisted that they wanted to buy whatever I had for sale "right away" or "as soon as possible." Some offered to send more money than what I was asking for.

Also, if someone gives you a cashier's check, money order, or personal check, make sure you wait until it really clears. Just because your bank grants you access to the funds after 24 hrs or 3 days or whatever doesn't mean that the check isn't fake. It can take up to two weeks for the check to clear. Never let them send you "extra" money that you then have to refund.

Personally, I wouldn't send my horse off to someone I'd never met. At least, not if I liked the horse :whistle:

Good luck!

DQ2B

It would cost more to export the horse and get it through quarantine than your asking price. Not saying your horse isn't lovely but there are an awful lot of horses in Europe (if that's where your potential buyer is) that are far superior at least in terms of breeding compared to US standards (though I know we are making headway in that area so no need to bash me). The only exception that I know of is that there are some Europeans that want QH's and have to import in order to get a quality type. Anyway, if you decide to pursue, the main thing is to run far far away if you are asked to "wire" any money.

HiddenOaksFarm

I am just really confused right now. I am in a position where I need to sell her, as my rent is due NOW, and thats only the half of it. Not putting my sob story out but, I am just confused about what to do. I really like the horse, and if things were different she wouldn't even be for sale. I don't want to see anything bad happen to her, shes a nice mare and has done everything I have asked of her. Just kinda wanted others opinions on what I should do. Thanks all for the advice so far. Has been helpful.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
I am just really confused right now. I am in a position where I need to sell her, as my rent is due NOW, and thats only the half of it. Not putting my sob story out but, I am just confused about what to do. I really like the horse, and if things were different she wouldn't even be for sale. I don't want to see anything bad happen to her, shes a nice mare and has done everything I have asked of her. Just kinda wanted others opinions on what I should do. Thanks all for the advice so far. Has been helpful.

Sorry to hear of your situation, I think there are lots of peeps dealing with the same. I personally delete those overseas inquiries when they come in with pretty much the same verbiage. I would assume scam as they usually are.

Robin

heres a link Fraud Alert - DreamHorse.com - DreamHorse.com - Dream Horse Classifieds

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hello-

... until cash in hand or bank has cleard the check.

Not a good idea. A forged cashiers check will clear the bank today, and will be cleared until receipt at the written on bank.. WHEN they receive the cashiers check, travelers check or whatever other vehicle they chose to use THEN they will come back to you to recover their funds, plus whatever extra your buyer sent you to refund to them.

Ask yourself, WHY would somone overseas want to go through the expense of shipping THIS horse overseas? Of course it's a scam.

Tazgirl

You can always respond that you want them to wire the money and that you will not let the horse go until you have cash in hand and that they make and pay for all shipping arrangements on their own.

Cowgirl

I just wanted to add something else. I would never ship a horse I liked overseas. I just wouldn't want to stress a horse out that much. I know horses travel all the time, but they're probably used to it. I just wouldn't want to put a horse through that.

Tazgirl

I just wanted to add something else. I would never ship a horse I liked overseas. I just wouldn't want to stress a horse out that much. I know horses travel all the time, but they're probably used to it. I just wouldn't want to put a horse through that.

:yeahthat: I have to agree...

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
You can always respond that you want them to wire the money and that you will not let the horse go until you have cash in hand and that they make and pay for all shipping arrangements on their own.

BAD IDEA
Hey Taz, this is bad too...then the scam people have your bank account number and they end up hacking it. I read that on the scam alert on Equine.com:buddies:

fredsaid2

What DQ2B said. It just doesn't pass the "sniff" test. When it doesn't appear reasonable it likely isn't.

Hoover

They are allowed to slaughter horses for meat overseas. I would not sell my horse to them. Delete the post. Sell it to someone else. Someone local that you could stay in contact with.