Horse Science School

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
It's that time of year again, trying to coordinate HSS.

We need instructors, volunteers, demonstrators and interested participants (ages 8-18). Participants have to provide their own horse.

Scheduled date is Monday June 29 thru Thursday July 2, at the PG Equestrian Center in Upper Marlboro. Horses stay on site all 4 days, students do not. Lots of riding time for the students.

We'd like to bring in new students, and their parents, this is all voluntary and non profit. For anyone interested in it, I've included some documents that describe the various class offerings, and daily time schedule. You don't have to volunteer or teach all day for all 4 days, but that is always nice.

I can include some pictures taken of some of my kid and horses who have participated over the year if anyone would like to see them.

Snacks, refreshments, Lunch and Dinner are provided

I believe the fee will be between $250-265.00 per student (no group discounts)

We'd like to offer an Advanced skills class in addition to the standard classes. Some of our kids have been coming for many years, and have become extremely proficient riders, so they need a challenge (besides our Open Trail Class). This class could include things like bareback riding, ponying, no hands riding, that sort of thing. It would be up to the instructor to define and discuss course content suggestions, knowing that only advanced students will be in the class.

The current president for HSS is having serious medical issues, and will NOT be able to assist us this year, so we are in desparate need of volunteers to make this a go. If we don't have a substantial interest, we will have to cancel it for the first time in many-many years.

I know there are many former students on this forum...how about giving something back? This is a worthwhile endeavor, and I'd hate to see it come to an end.

Attachments

• CLASS DESCRIPTIONS FOR HSS.pdf
    14.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Daily Time Schedule.pdf
    19.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

erinjograves

Unfortunatly, I wont be able to help out this year. I am due to be induced sometime around there, so I am not sure I can even visit! :(

I will pass the word that you guys are looking for more volunteers this year!

erinjograves

Aww! Thanks! I am gonna miss everyone so much! I am really bummed about not being able to be there!

We dont know what we are having. It's going to be a surprise!!!! :)

Eventer29

I will check. but i think that is the week I go to OC for vacation. Might there be interest in a cross country class for those who might be interested in eventing? I know back in the day when I was a camper they had a XC class for a couple years.

buddyboii

what are the heights for the jumping class? like is only to two foot of is there a chance to go higher?

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
I will check. but i think that is the week I go to OC for vacation. Might there be interest in a cross country class for those who might be interested in eventing? I know back in the day when I was a camper they had a XC class for a couple years.

That is an awesome idea. We really need some new ideas. Hopefully you will not be away and if not could you instruct the class???

heirofaragon

what are the heights for the jumping class? like is only to two foot of is there a chance to go higher?

it really depends on the instructor they get, some allow it and really have fun with the class and heights and what not,
others stick to the set class,
but since there are like 8 or 9 riders in a class or so they really dont have the time to go higher if not all riders are at the same level.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
There is a meeting of interested parties this saturday at 10:00 am in Mechanicsville, PM me if you're available and need directions.

buddyboii

it really depends on the instructor they get, some allow it and really have fun with the class and heights and what not,
others stick to the set class,
but since there are like 8 or 9 riders in a class or so they really dont have the time to go higher if not all riders are at the same level.

Thanks so much. I am intrested in attending this year as a student, but am not a hundred percent sure about it yet. Would i have to go to that meeting or is that just for like the volunteers and instructors?

thankss

Eventer29

It really depends on the group you are with as to how high your jumping class may go.I was the instructor last year. With so many kids of different levels it was a challenge. Instead of focusing on height I had them do some challenging exercises instead. The weather was no help, the kids missed a lot of their riding time (at least in my class)due to storms.

I will check my vacation date. We probably also have our "camp" that week too, but I could maybe do evenings like last time. As far as jumps go XC jumps can be simulated with reg ring jumps to an extent.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Thanks so much. I am intrested in attending this year as a student, but am not a hundred percent sure about it yet. Would i have to go to that meeting or is that just for like the volunteers and instructors?

thankss
The meeting this weekend is for organizers/instructors/volunteers.

Please send me a pm with your contact information (email, phone number, mailing address) with contact preference. I'll be sure we get a packet in the mail/email to you. (specify if you'd rather receive the packet by mail or email) And please remember your parent(s) are required to volunteer at least one half day for the camp to be successful. Either a morning, afternoon or evening after work. More time if at all possible.

It's a lot of fun, and we've graduated a LOT of happy students. Class size is limited to 50 kids and is first come/first serve. The first ones who return their packets with a 50% deposit are the ones guaranteed a spot.

Last edited:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I won't be able to make it to the meeting tomorrow so send me a packet in the mail. I will see what I can do. I know that I can teach the kids something.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
The date this year SUCKS!!!!! It's my parents 25th anniversary(that week),:cds: and their going on vacation... and i'm not old enough to go by myself. I want to go, but people depend mostly on my mom to do stuff (in my little group), so i dont know anyone that will pick up the slack for the group.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
The date this year SUCKS!!!!! It's my parents 25th anniversary(that week),:cds: and their going on vacation... and i'm not old enough to go by myself. I want to go, but people depend mostly on my mom to do stuff (in my little group), so i dont know anyone that will pick up the slack for the group.

I don't know if it will help but Laura G is coming and her Grandmother plans on being there all week. Maybe she can pick up the slack since your Mom will be away.

Eventer29

Yup bad week for me too. I will be gone the 25th to the 2nd :( I will ask around and see if I can find anyone to volunteer.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
This year we will have some new class offerings AND new instructors, Speed...ring trail...and several others! (not that we don't miss the other instructors of course!! Maybe ya'll can schedule a day to visit)

Here's a little teaser info....

A NEW Demo on horse/rider playground equipment, and possible lesson time for kids with their horses too...we're trying to work out the schedule.

And a NEW class offering called Intro to Polo Crosse! (HOW cool is that?)

This year is shaping up to be the BEST EVER!!