Horses eating Rebel's tail :(

jamesbond007

So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of something i could put in my horses tail that wont harm him, but will keep horses from chewing it off. he now has about a strand of 20 hairs left, and the rest is up to his bone. it's depressing, seeing his tail was like that 4 years ago when i bought him & now its like starting from square one again :( boooo!

any ideas?!

Thank ya!:love:

DQ2B

Years ago when I had the same problem I mixed up some cayenne pepper and water and sprayed it the tail. Didn't have any problem after that.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Years ago when I had the same problem I mixed up some cayenne pepper and water and sprayed it the tail. Didn't have any problem after that.

Cayenne pepper will probably keep the others from biting it but poor horsey. :frown:

yowouch! :shocking:

..…Or if another horse accidentally rubs its face and gets it in their eye! :faint:

So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of something i could put in my horses tail that wont harm him, but will keep horses from chewing it off. he now has about a strand of 20 hairs left, and the rest is up to his bone. it's depressing, seeing his tail was like that 4 years ago when i bought him & now its like starting from square one again :( boooo!

any ideas?!

Thank ya!:love:

Are you sure the other horses are biting it off? What about tail rubbing? Sometimes they will rub their tails if their sheath is dirty.:shrug:

:buddies:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom

Cayenne Pepper definitely works and does not hurt the horse at all, it just tastes bad to the chewer. You can mix with water, oil, or petrolatum.

There are a couple products you can use too like RAPLAST: RapLast - Anti-Chewing Spray / Liquid - Horses

Or McNasty: McNasty Anti-Chewing Spray - Anti-Chewing Spray / Liquid - Horses

Both of these contain capsaicin which is Cayenne pepper.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Here is what I do with the babies so they dont chew each others tails...go to an automotive store, get some axel grease (just not the black kind) and put it in the tail. Not too much, but just enough that it deters the culprit. Haven't had a tail munched off in quite some time...they hate it.

lovemyber135

Cayenne pepper will probably keep the others from biting it but poor horsey. :frown:

yowouch! :shocking:

..…Or if another horse accidentally rubs its face and gets it in their eye! :faint:

Are you sure the other horses are biting it off? What about tail rubbing? Sometimes they will rub their tails if their sheath is dirty.:shrug:

:buddies:

its deff. not tail rubbing!

erinjograves

I second the RapLast! That stuff is awesome! Just be careful when you spray it not to get it up under his tailbone or in your eyes!

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I second the RapLast! That stuff is awesome! Just be careful when you spray it not to get it up under his tailbone or in your eyes!

Thats what I would worry about, yowouch! Like i said Im sure it works, and maybe some of the products made, take some of the heat out of the cayenne. With youngsters in the field, I personally would worry about them getting it into their eyes. Homemade product, depending on the heat of the cayenne,...just hate to think about it once they work up a sweat,...:yikes:

Last edited:

jamesbond007

Thank you everyone!

I'm positive it's not tail rubbing. It looks like someone took sissors to it, honestly. But I am going to try the ideas you guys gave me & go from there. HOPEFULLY something works soon!