Horses & Ponies -No Blue book

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I brought a pony up from VA to be part of the lesson program here as a free lease and help the lady that owns her out of a bind. I picked her up for free. Then we didn't have anyone strong enough to keep the pony going, so I drove her to Florida as another favor. I told her if she sold her then I would like someone to pay for the gas on the way down. ANyway, she sold her to a friend of mine for, I am sure, less than $4000. They paid me only 1/2 of the gas money. My friend that boughgt her, also a trainer, sold her the other day for $20K. Unbelievable. I only got 1/2 the gas! I am going to protest! There is no blue book on horses. Remember that when you buy them.

fredsaid2

Sadielady said:
I brought a pony up from VA to be part of the lesson program here as a free lease and help the lady that owns her out of a bind. I picked her up for free. Then we didn't have anyone strong enough to keep the pony going, so I drove her to Florida as another favor. I told her if she sold her then I would like someone to pay for the gas on the way down. ANyway, she sold her to a friend of mine for, I am sure, less than $4000. They paid me only 1/2 of the gas money. My friend that boughgt her, also a trainer, sold her the other day for $20K. Unbelievable. I only got 1/2 the gas! I am going to protest! There is no blue book on horses. Remember that when you buy them.

You should have had your commission in writing!

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
fredsaid2 said:
You should have had your commission in writing!

:yeahthat: Did your friend know about the agreement/understanding? Seems to me if she made $16,000 off a horse you brought down to Florida and she subsequently purchases and she's your friend, she would have just offered to pay for the gas. :howdy:

Loper

Animal Poor!
Sadielady said:

How the heck can the pony: 1. be so under priced the first time sold, or 2. what made the pony worth soooo much more the second time around? Just curious!

fredsaid2

Loper said:
How the heck can the pony: 1. be so under priced the first time sold, or 2. what made the pony worth soooo much more the second time around? Just curious!

It all depends on WHO sold the pony and WHERE the pony was sold. The trainer's rep has a lot to do with it as well as proximity to A circuit shows.

Loper

Animal Poor!
fredsaid2 said:
It all depends on WHO sold the pony and WHERE the pony was sold. The trainer's rep has a lot to do with it as well as proximity to A circuit shows.

I understand all that, but $16,000 is a big discrepancy in the purchase prices! Just wondering if the pony happened to be a "true find" that was overlooked by the first seller, or was some poor schmuck paying way too much for this pony the second time? The first post didn't state who or for how long and what discipline the pony may have been trained after being sold the first time. :howdy: no offence intended to anyone involved was just curious.

K

Katie

Did he pick up some serious ribbons down on the FL circuit as a pony hunter?

fredsaid2

Loper said:
I understand all that, but $16,000 is a big discrepancy in the purchase prices! Just wondering if the pony happened to be a "true find" that was overlooked by the first seller, or was some poor schmuck paying way too much for this pony the second time? The first post didn't state who or for how long and what discipline the pony may have been trained after being sold the first time. :howdy: no offence intended to anyone involved was just curious.

Sounds like it was just sold in the right market by the right trainer. If it was the paint I saw a pic of it has a nice square front end o/f. Say the new trainer had it going well in the ring, 20k could be a fair price especially if the trainer was well known. With mileage it could be worth a heck of a lot more. There are many 10k to 20k and up ponies at MSA, and that's just in our backyard. I've heard of people taking out 2nd mortgages for that 'nice' pony for their child. Some are just willing to spend the money.

K

Katie

fredsaid2 said:
I've heard of people taking out 2nd mortgages for that 'nice' pony for their child. Some are just willing to spend the money.

I believe it. My hubby would skin me alive if I did that.

When I was in 4-h the leader took out a 2nd mortgage to buy her a welsh pony.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Katie said:
I believe it. My hubby would skin me alive if I did that.

When I was in 4-h the leader took out a 2nd mortgage to buy her a welsh pony.
OMG :shocked: i only paid 50 for my horse! i could never afford 20k !

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
The people who bought the pony actually came to look at her warmblood gelding. They saw the pony and asked if it was for sale, the lady said "no her husband would kill her" because she bought the pony for her grandkid. The people then offered her 20K and off the pony went. I just took the pony down in November.

K

Katie

Sadielady said:
The people who bought the pony actually came to look at her warmblood gelding. They saw the pony and asked if it was for sale, the lady said "no her husband would kill her" because she bought the pony for her grandkid. The people then offered her 20K and off the pony went. I just took the pony down in November.

Was that the pony that I saw you with at HP getting checked by the vet? I came down to ride Rowdy, and you guys were getting ready to go. That is a pretty pony. :lmao:

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
theres more ponys in the world, and i wish i had 20k to just spend on a pony, well i like horses better... wow there lucky

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Katie said:
Was that the pony that I saw you with at HP getting checked by the vet? I came down to ride Rowdy, and you guys were getting ready to go. That is a pretty pony. :lmao:
It depends. If it was the little bay...yes. If it was the oversized small grey, that was my daughter's pony. I took her back because my daughter could care less about riding (figures)....Until I sent the pony back to grandmas! ISn't it a shame the kids that would do anything to have a pony can't have one, but if you give a kid a pony then they make you bribe them to ride! I was tired of paying board and having to bribe her to ride. Oh well another dream gone. :bigwhoop:

K

Katie

Sadielady said:
It depends. If it was the little bay...yes. If it was the oversized small grey, that was my daughter's pony. I took her back because my daughter could care less about riding (figures)....Until I sent the pony back to grandmas! ISn't it a shame the kids that would do anything to have a pony can't have one, but if you give a kid a pony then they make you bribe them to ride! I was tired of paying board and having to bribe her to ride. Oh well another dream gone. :bigwhoop:

Yeah the Bay. Pretty pony.

Maybe your daughter will get interest in it as she gets older.

Tazgirl

Sadielady said:

I'll let you be my mommie you won't have to bribe me to ride and I will let you buy me a pony (as long as it is gaited and dead broke :lmao: I have a terrible seat but I love horses what can I say)

TAZ

Sparks

fredsaid2 said:

That is 100% true. Happens ALL the time.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Unbelievable said:
:yeahthat: Did your friend know about the agreement/understanding? Seems to me if she made $16,000 off a horse you brought down to Florida and she subsequently purchases and she's your friend, she would have just offered to pay for the gas. :howdy:

:yeahthat: That should have been a given!!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Sadielady said:

Darn, talk about the right time and place... :yay:

MorganLover

:faint: (haha i LOVE that faint face hehe) anyway i can't believe most prices on those show horses it is unbelievable, but at least like buying a car their value doesn't go down, it only goes up it is shown a lot. But i could never spend that especially for a child. one min. the child loves horses and would do anything to ride and the next wants nothing to do with them, or they only want it to say i have a horse and never does anything for the horse other then ride it (like feeding, grooming stuff like that.)

WOW 50 bucks for your horse how did you come off with that deal????? I adopted cherokee for 400.00 and too me that was a bit much since she was said to be so old, but man is she broke and a sweet heart. She was never riden at the resuce (she was there about 3 months before i meet her) and the girl that showed her to me just got her out saddled her up and rode her, cherokee didn't even care that she was leaving the field and her buddies behind. Now she has a bit of a tude when i ask her to canter but nothing serious.