Horses sentenced to a concentration camp?

fredsaid2

SoMdNews.com: Improper shelter for horses, pony alleged

I was wondering why no one in the horse forum has not addressed this issue. Is this just a bogus article? IMO it sounds like it was too many horses on a little more than 1/2 acre. :whistle: And this was a rescue?????

A little more than 1/2 acre total seems tight for a home plus 3 large animals that live outside. It seems the gist of CountryLady's posts is that shelter need not be provided per county regs. Reg or no, I believe suitable shelter is important to the animal's well being. To each their own...

PrepH4U

A little more than 1/2 acre total seems tight for a home plus 3 large animals that live outside. It seems the gist of CountryLady's posts is that shelter need not be provided per county regs. Reg or no, I believe suitable shelter is important to the animal's well being. To each their own...

Thank you for answering. I was quite concerned about the small lot plus no shelter (I do not consider a tree a shelter). I do not know where I read it but, when we were looking to buy we were told you needed at least 3 acres for one horse plus two more acres for the second horse. Now it did not specify that all of the acres had to be in pasture which was a loophole that I noticed. :shrug:

fredsaid2

Thank you for answering. I was quite concerned about the small lot plus no shelter (I do not consider a tree a shelter). I do not know where I read it but, when we were looking to buy we were told you needed at least 3 acres for one horse plus two more acres for the second horse. Now it did not specify that all of the acres had to be in pasture which was a loophole that I noticed. :shrug:

You're welcome! A large amount of land is not necessary if you plan to feed hay vice providing pasture. Expensive option! I have three on less than what your research turned up but they're not out 24/7 and I supplement with hay when needed. During the summer it's more a battle of keeping it mowed as long as there's enough rain. I can't compromise on shelter though, a holly tree just wouldn't cut it.