House fire

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Very sad.
But if my house catches on fire, let it burn to the ground.
Less mess and a bulldozer will clear it right up to re-build.

Goldenhawk

I just read it's been the third on that street. Neighbors are thinking it's a builder issue. Possibly electric.
Those two houses were built (or at least first sold) in 2013. I'd be surprised that a builder-level electrical issue showed up in two houses after 7 years, both about a month apart.

I'd be MORE inclined to believe arson.

Goldenhawk

Wasn't there another house fire on that same street a few months ago?
Guess you didn't read the linked article. The last paragraph states: "Approximately 2 months prior to this, on Thursday, April 23, 2020, at approximately 9:25 p.m., more than 40 firefighters responded to 22390 Douglas Court in Great Mills, for the reported house on fire with subjects possibly trapped. These two houses are located just four houses apart from each other on the same street."

Goldenhawk

Watching the video, I was very surprised how far the fire progressed AFTER the crews showed up on scene. There didn't seem to be any attempt to spray water on the roof or into the broken windows until after the roof was fully involved. I don't know anything about firefighting, but it seems to me that they could have significantly limited the damage - and prevented some firefighter injuries - by getting water on the structure faster. If I were watching my own house on fire, I'd be hopping mad about what I saw.

I'd love to hear the explanation from someone with firefighting experience.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Wasn't there another house fire on that same street a few months ago?
it was mentioned in the story, at the very end.
All I can say is WOW, that house went up fast. Thought it's amazing what a little oxygen will do for a smoldering fire.
Firefighters have to get to the hot spot to put it out, and that inrush of air - kaboom.
Praying the fire fighters are okay. The occupants hopefully got out with the important stuff, living things.

Very sad.
Having been through it, yes. Sounds cruel, you do lose keepsakes, family heirlooms, but I bet it takes far less time.
I think the salvage / cleanup took at least a month. Often they had to wait on the adjuster to determine if they should take something down or not.

Scat

it was mentioned in the story, at the very end.
All I can say is WOW, that house went up fast. Thought it's amazing what a little oxygen will do for a smoldering fire.
OSB, household cleaning stuff and furniture from Bobs (etc) rally add to the fuel source too.

Tech

Watching the video, I was very surprised how far the fire progressed AFTER the crews showed up on scene. There didn't seem to be any attempt to spray water on the roof or into the broken windows until after the roof was fully involved. I don't know anything about firefighting, but it seems to me that they could have significantly limited the damage - and prevented some firefighter injuries - by getting water on the structure faster. If I were watching my own house on fire, I'd be hopping mad about what I saw.

I'd love to hear the explanation from someone with firefighting experience.
The fire appears to have started on the rear deck or just inside the lower level. It travel up the vinyl siding, entering the attic void via the eaves even before fire department is notified.
In normal operations you don't direct any water into vent holes if you have crews inside since you can drive heat and smoke onto them, opposing fire.

Unfortunately this scenario is a case where normal sprinklers are useless.

BernieP

Resident PIA
OSB, household cleaning stuff and furniture from Bobs (etc) rally add to the fuel source too.
My fire was confined to the attack, the flames didn't reach the structure below, just water, smoke and debris.
Fire started when lightning "umped" from a dead tree to the house, wiring fire.
Initially it was a small amount of white smoke. Had it not been for the breakers tripping room by room, I would not have gone outside to check.
But when they opened the attic to get access, it went from white to darker and denser, to flames .
But they had to get in there to extinguish the fire.
First on scene mover the mower, anything with gas, out of the garage.
I can complain about the damage the fire crew did, but it's more a joke, they were professional and did what had to be done.
That means water, as I said, most of the damage was water and smoke (well and the charred trusses and roof.