House Passes DC Statehood Bill On A Party Line Vote

OmyGawd

I do believe it will take an amendment to the Constitution to make DC a state. It was designed that way. And if the do get that far, that would guarantee Puerto Rico statehood to keep thing even

glhs837

Power with Control
Funny, you think they mighta done this when they controlled all three parts of the pie......wonder why they didn't?

Reactions: BOP

Louise

Trump says that if by some miracle this makes it through the Senate, he will veto it.

Democrats can't win without cheating.

...on everything they do. But, I do have to say that I would like to see the Repubs get more vertebrae. There are so many politicians that have been in office (on both sides) way too long. The age of the dinosaur has long passed. Vote smart this go round, y’all!

Last edited:

Louise

Funny, you think they mighta done this when they controlled all three parts of the pie......wonder why they didn't?

Because they thought they had it ‘made in the shade’, so to speak. And then, along came Trump. Oops!

Louise

What's wrong with DC becoming a state? Not being a smart ass, I really don't know the reason that so many people are against it or why others are so for it. I google and get biased information instead of credible arguments.

Because it is the Capitol of the US. If it becomes a state, where is our Capitol? Oh wait...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I google and get biased information instead of credible arguments.

yeah all the usual progressive news outlets are calling Tom Cotten's Objections Racist

What's wrong with DC becoming a state?

It is a CITY ...... is the simplistic explanation

More importantly it is a Federal District

Based on the 23 Amendment District residents already have the right to vote for a President

But that is the excuse ..... the area is not a state, the 700,000 residents don't have representatives in Congress.

Democrats would add 2 permanently blue seats to the Senate, and one to the House, this is the real goal, Democrats don't care about DC residents past what power does it give them in Congress.

Lets get to the part where they demand the other 50 states continue to fund their existence, to the tune of 700 million a year.

There is no base, save the Federal Gov. to provide money to run the City. No Farms, no industry ... sure there are commercial endeavors - restaurants, loads of office space for property tax

https://www.dcfpi.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Revenue-Primer-2016-FINAL-VERSION.pdf

Mayor Bowsers latest budget is about 18 billion dollars ..... or about 12 billion short [ I'm sure tax revenue has gone up since that report was published in 2015

The Constitutional argument - Congress does not have the authority to make DC a State

DC Statehood Is a Fool’s Errand

In fact, they go to a core constitutional principle, the doctrine of enumerated powers, which holds that Congress has only those powers that are enumerated in the Constitution, mainly in Article I, section 8. And Congress has no power to carve out a fifty‐first state from the present District of Columbia. That point was well stated in 1963 by no less than then Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, ruling on a related proposal.

As a Federal District Managed mostly by Congress the Federal Gov is not influenced by Va or MD which borders the city, this was by design;

As James Madison argued in Federalist 43, we needed a “federal district,” separate and apart from the territory and authority of any one of the states, so that Congress could exercise “exclusive” jurisdiction over that district, thus keeping the federal government from being dependent on any particular state—and, equally important, so that no state would be either dependent on the federal government or disproportionately influential on that government. This proposal fails on each of those counts.

Surrounded by this new state, the federal government would be dependent on it for all manner of services, everything from electrical power to water, sewers, snow removal, police and fire protection, and so much else that today is part of an integrated jurisdiction under the ultimate authority of Congress. Yet Congress would have no ultimate authority over any of that, as it does today. The fifty‐eight‐page constitution that DC voters ratified in 1982, including provisions that require the new state to provide jobs or adequate incomes to all city residents and allow firefighters and police the right to strike, does not give confidence.

But neither would New Columbia be independent of the federal government, practically. In Federalist 51, Madison discussed the “multiplicity of interests” that define a proper state, with urban and rural parts, and economic activity sufficient and sufficiently varied to be and to remain an independent entity. That hardly describes the District of Columbia. Washington is largely a one‐industry town (though not as much as it used to be), with its economy closely tied to the federal government, and that would not likely change if most of the city became a state. Indeed, New Columbia would be our only “city‐state.” No longer under the exclusive authority of a Congress that would now be dependent on it, New Columbia would be in a position to exert influence on the federal government far in excess of that of any other state. The potential for “dishonorable” influence, about which Madison warned, is palpable. A district so reduced as “New Washington” would be under this proposal would be utterly dependent and unable to effectively control its place of business, rendering it susceptible to such influence.

Hijinx

What's wrong with DC becoming a state? Not being a smart ass, I really don't know the reason that so many people are against it or why others are so for it. I google and get biased information instead of credible arguments.

Lets see why the Democrats want D.C to become a State.
There are 2 answers to this question
D.C. if filled with blacks and liberals and always---always votes democrat. So by trying to make D.C. a state they cater and pander to the blacks and liberals and they gain another Democrat in the House and 2 Democrat Senators.

There is no other reason for making it a State. It does just fine as it is.
It receives a large Federal Grant to keep it's Governing bodies going and it is a tourist mecca.
Those who cry about it having no representation, have just as much representation as I do living in Maryland where the Democrats rule. Same as D.C actually where Democrats rule.My boy Steny has catered and pandered his way along the Government Tit for 40 years. His usual place is up Pelosi's butt and now he is up Eleonor Holmes Norton's butt, still pandering.

Makavide

Not too talkative
The simple answer - kick everyone out of the city. the only residents of DC should be those who are duly elected by their jurisdictional electorate. Anybody else who wants to work there, should live in a real state.

Keep all the federal buildings needed to keep our government working. Those employees would live outside the district though.

Keep hotels, restaurants and bars and other tourist trap type things. Tourist can stay in the city, but the employees would live outside the district.

Re-utilize some of the other buildings (public schools and such) to bring back those federal agencies that needed to find space out in Arlington and other locations. Tear down all the rest, make more parks and such.

Hijinx

The whole thing going through the House is nothing but a blow job for the blacks living there.
Republicans in the Senate will not allow it and Trump would veto it.

Our boy Steny on his knees again. After 40 years it looks like he would get tired of brown nosing and performing unnatural acts, but WTH it has made him a rich man.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I understand the simplicity of Taxation w/o Representation - but I would like to know what it is that they're missing out on.

that is the simplified complaint ........

As I stated earlier Democrats really want another 2 Senate Seats

What does a state and its residents get that the residents of Washington DC do not get.

They Pay Federal Taxes and City Taxes but no State Taxes ...... beyond that Nothing [ that I can think of ] ....
they have Police, Fire, Water and Sewer, Electricity, Public Transportation