House that smells of dog.

Toxick

Splat
Is there any way to get a dog smell out of a house, that doesn't include ripping up and disposing of the carpet?

Does shampooing work? Do you need special chemicals? Is there anything I can treat the carpet with? I figure there has to be a way, I have a few friends with big old dogs, and their house smells fine - other friends.... not so much. Lets say I want to help the friends with a stinky dog smell in their house - what would be some suggestions.

BTW The dog is gone, so the smell won't be revitalized every day - so this doesn't have to be an on-going treatment.

Or does it?

stgislander

PREMO Member
You need pooph.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Toxick

Splat
You need pooph.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

So, I'm not trying to be shitty or anything ... but did you just google "get rid of dog smell" and this was the first thing that popped up?

Or is this something you've tried, and you know that it works.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Hopefully the dog didn’t ‘go’ on the carpet. That’s hard to get out. Also, you’ll probably have to clean the furniture too, especially if the dog was allowed to get on the furniture.
Good luck.

Clem72

Chemicals work for smell, but need to be re-applied every time you wash the carpet. This includes "enzymes". Chances are there is dried pee in the pad or even the subfloor and every time you get it wet it will smell again unless treated.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Chemicals work for smell, but need to be re-applied every time you wash the carpet. This includes "enzymes". Chances are there is dried pee in the pad or even the subfloor and every time you get it wet it will smell again unless treated.
A UV flashlight will cause pet stains to glow.
Miss Teia used the corner of our walk in closet in Illinois from time to time.
When we were having the whole house redone (carpet and vinyl) I used a product called Urine Gone that included a UV light.
I had the installer take the carpet out of the closet 2 days before they were going to do that bedroom.
Two overnight soakings and the underlayment no longer glowed.

stgislander

PREMO Member
So, I'm not trying to be shitty or anything ... but did you just google "get rid of dog smell" and this was the first thing that popped up?

Or is this something you've tried, and you know that it works.
I apologize. I've been seeing the outrageous commercial on TV lately, and had to throwit out there.

I'm ashamed.

gemma_rae

I apologize. I've been seeing the outrageous commercial on TV lately, and had to throwit out there.

I'm ashamed.
I bet @Gilligan is rolling up a newspaper right now.
Harrison Ford GIF

wittykitty

My first house had a definite odor when I moved in, and if there are absorbent floors, that’s only the beginning. Every absorbent surface in the house has likely been rubbed on, laid against, and absorbed dander. This includes sheet rock.

In my opinion, years of absorbing the funk makes it a vigorous task of removing carpets, cleaning ductwork, disposing of several pieces of furniture, and more. It’s not simply limited to a deep cleaning or two. Some things can be deeply cleaned several times, chemically treated, and be salvaged. Keep in mind that not everyone has the same cleanliness levels, tolerance, and acceptance of “clean” afterwards.

I’m personally a bit intolerant of funk or smells of any kind, and if it stinks, it must be aggressively dealt with before being allowed into my house. I’m also in a very small dwelling of 288 sq ft, so that might give you an idea of my exacting attitude. I don’t have room for funk. 😆

Toxick

Splat
Why not ask them how they keep their house from smelling of pooch?

I guess because I'm assuming that their house never had a dog funk in it, so I wouldn't be sure they know how to get rid of it - only how to maintain a non-funk status.

If I ever get a dog, I'll chime in with "how do you keep your house from stinking like these animals?"

I guess I could run it by them, though. Maybe they know.