House vote slaps news organizations

MMDad

Lem Putt
ylexot said:
Not true. I don't know what to say (or not say) to the press. I just know what not to say to anyone who does not have the proper clearances and need to know. The leakers should be found and executed for treason.
You do know what to say. Nothing.

I have always been taught that I have no right to talk to the press about my job. When I was active duty I would have had to get permission. As a contractor I would have to get permission. Government employees have to get permission. Anybody that leaks this stuff has either been told not to, or they have been instructed to "leak" this information. Since they are almost never prosecuted, I tend to beleive they are acting on orders.

On the surface, the NYT looks treasonous, but is this story actually "news" to anyone? After 9/11, Bush was slammed for not detecting the plot. He should have seen the money trail. After all, isn't that what our spies do?

Now the "breaking story" is that the spies are doing exactly what they should be doing.

Does anybody really think that Al Qaida doesn't know that the "normal" banking system is being monitored? If I were cheating on my taxes, would I be surprised if the Fed noticed large wire transfers through my bank accounts? What's the difference here?

I'm wondering if the administration didn't put a bag of burning poop on the NYT doorstep, ring their bell, and watch them stamp all over it.

MMDad

Lem Putt
ylexot said:
Yeah, but it has nothing to do with talking to the press. That's the rule for talking to anyone...even family.
For classified stuff, you are absolutely correct. But I am allowed to talk to my family about the unclass stuff. I know I do not have the right to talk to the press about anything, classified or not. I can't even confirm things that the Navy puts out in press releases. Not my job.