How ‘no-knock warrants’ and police recklessness got an innocent woman killed

Chris0nllyn

When Breonna Taylor and her boyfriend Kenneth Walker woke up on March 13 to the sound of someone breaking into their Kentucky apartment, they had no idea it was the police executing a “no-knock” unannounced search warrant. So, they did exactly what many law-abiding citizens would do: Walker called 911 and grabbed his legally owned firearm to defend his home from unknown intruders. Just a few minutes later, a hailstorm of bullets shot haphazardly would cascade through the apartment (and into neighboring apartments as well) in a tragic exchange that left Taylor dead, a police officer wounded, and Walker under arrest.

The search warrant police were executing did not actually name Walker nor Taylor. Rather, it was associated with another warrant searching a suspected neighborhood drug den miles away, on the suspicion that the alleged dealer, Taylor’s former boyfriend, might have stored drugs in Walker’s home. According to NBC News, no drugs were found in the apartment, and neither Taylor nor Walker had criminal records. Simply put, there’s no reason to think either did anything wrong.
We also need to have a serious conversation whether petty drug investigations and the “War on Drugs” really justify such draconian and dangerous policing practices. But even setting that broader debate aside, everyone should support, in particular, abolishing the policy of "no-knock" warrants immediately. Thankfully, in the aftermath of Taylor’s tragic killing, voices across the political spectrum, not just traditionally sympathetic Democrats and liberals, are making this call.

"No one should lose their life in pursuit of a crime without a victim, and 'no-knock' warrants should be forbidden," Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, a libertarian-leaning Republican, said. "Let’s hope the investigation provides justice."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-of-no-knock-warrants-and-police-recklessness

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Has anyone checked the record of Walker to see if he's a law abiding citizen.

It's because the chick's old boyfriend is a drug dealer.

So ladies, there you go. Stop taking up with these shitbags.

Because let's get real: the news stories always act like it could happen to anyone, even you and me!! :cds: Yet it always turns out that these people have previous felonious activity, or they're harboring someone who does.

PeoplesElbow

Because let's get real: the news stories always act like it could happen to anyone, even you and me!! :cds: Yet it always turns out that these people have previous felonious activity, or they're harboring someone who does.
I do know someone that police broke down her door, ripped her out of the shower and threw her to the ground, they had the wrong door.

Some of St Marys finest there.

black dog

Free America

Now am not an advocate for no knocks but, my understanding is the girlfriend was accepting package delivery's of known drugs and that was one of the main reasons for the no knock...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I do know someone that police broke down her door, ripped her out of the shower and threw her to the ground, they had the wrong door.

Some of St Marys finest there.

Mistakes happen. It's just the way it is when humans are involved. I'm curious exactly how often it happens, though.

And did your friend sue the chit out of the county? Because I'd let someone rip me out of a shower and throw me on the ground for a few mil.

PeoplesElbow

Mistakes happen. It's just the way it is when humans are involved. I'm curious exactly how often it happens, though.

And did your friend sue the chit out of the county? Because I'd let someone rip me out of a shower and throw me on the ground for a few mil.
She didn't get a thing other than smiles when the officers that did it came into where she was a waitress.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
my understanding is the girlfriend was accepting package delivery's of known drugs

I heard that, then I heard there was ONLY ONE Package .... and police could have grabbed the dude and his PACKAGE During a Traffic Stop

Hijinx

Dealing drugs is not a victimless crime.
Everyone who knows the addict is a victim.

But beside that beating down doors with no-knock warrants should be a last resort for arresting a known felon.
Like this person if someone was beating down my door they would meet a 12 gauge.
These acts are dangerous for everyone involved and are not necessary.

Bushy23

What does the NRA have to say about Kenneth Walker? He was a legal gun owner defending his home from invaders!!!